Curious Event Point Scoring Issue

Corn_Noodles
Corn_Noodles Posts: 477 Mover and Shaker
edited November 2016 in MtGPQ Events
While I was tallying up the points for members of the Top 11 coalitions for this most recent Nodes event, I encountered a curious issue. I take screenshots of each Top 11 coalition leaderboard as close to the end of each event after they finish as possible. I then subtract the previous event score (obtained after the previous event closes) from the score achieved after the most recent event closes. For this Nodes, since each match is worth 5 points, everyone's final points for the event should be divisible by 5. However, I encountered some players who apparently either earned scores that weren't divisible by 5 or earned a score that was above the maximum points for the event. I contacted a number of players that were showing strange scores and so far the responses point to something interesting but probably not worrysome. It is possible to earn points from a match outside of events as long as the match was started before the event expires. For example, there was one player who, according to the leaderboard screenshots, earned 337 points in the Nodes event. Since 7 is not divisible by 5, something quirky must've occurred. It turns out that this player, according to their own event standings, earned 330 points in Nodes. That leaves 7 "extra" points. It also turns out this player finished a match in the previous Emrakul's Corruption event after the event expired and they won that match with both possible bonuses. That match win plus both bonus equates to 7 points. Those points were added to their lifetime coalition totals, but not to the event totals for either the event the match was started in (Emakrul's Corrupt) or the following event (Nodes of Power). At this point, I don't know if this is a normal thing or if this was a special issue that occurred with the last Emrakul's Corruption. While it doesn't appear to affect standings or scoring for prizes, it does affect the lifetime totals for the player and perhaps the coalition itself. My guess is that this is "normal" behavior as the score system was designed, but I hadn't encountered it before and found it curious.

Comments

• malafein
    malafein Posts: 65 Match Maker
    When I tally up the scores I do something similar, except I don't use screenshots. I just record the players' total scores before the event begins, and then take the difference from that and the new total once the event completes.
    You will still end up with lifetime coalition points that didn't contribute to the event though from the matches that didn't complete in time.
    I just find it easier than dealing with timing the screenshots.
  • Corn_Noodles
    Corn_Noodles Posts: 477 Mover and Shaker
    malafein wrote:
    When I tally up the scores I do something similar, except I don't use screenshots. I just record the players' total scores before the event begins, and then take the difference from that and the new total once the event completes.
    I thought I was fine with just recording scores after each event ended because I didn't know it was putting points into totals between events. I find it easier to use screenshots in case anyone wants to see the data I'm using.
  • jackvett
    jackvett Posts: 141 Tile Toppler
    Funny, just before the event crashed and locked my out of my account I took this screenshot:

fBrjva0.png

Couldn't tell you what my final score was since I haven't been able to get on since Wednesday, but I definitely thought it was weird.