Nodes of Power pairings!

Options
killwind
killwind Posts: 116 Tile Toppler
edited November 2016 in MtGPQ General Discussion
I was just going to cut and paste the Emrakul pairing post as nothing has changed for me in my pairings.

I'm still seeing Kilpher, Marruk and Gakera every round every node.

How about you guys, is it still the same for you as well. Some of my coalition mates have told me that they are getting a good spread.

Comments

• Ohboy
    Ohboy Posts: 1,766 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    killwind wrote:
    I was just going to cut and paste the Emrakul pairing post as nothing has changed for me in my pairings.

I'm still seeing Kilpher, Marruk and Gakera every round every node.

How about you guys, is it still the same for you as well. Some of my coalition mates have told me that they are getting a good spread.

I get a different set of players assigned to my pool for each event. This one was brutal. I'm fighting you, fiddler and one other guy whose name escapes me for now. All your decks have always been challenging.
  • jimilinho_
    Options
    It's been quite varied for me.

Usual suspects are there as normal but don't think I've played anyone more than twice (Except Killwind icon_e_wink.gif 3 games so far and probably be more too!)
  • bk1234
    bk1234 Posts: 2,924 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Kilpher 4x, Killwind 2x, Goralandos (sp?) 2x, Fiddler, etc

It never changes. Wish GunBunny would come to Plat.
  • Elexsynn3411
    Options
    I have had a nice spread. Most challenging was a Nissa deck by Yrbeat I believe. Took nearly an hour for my Chandra to take it down. -_-
  • madwren
    madwren Posts: 2,230 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Same limited spread, but different names, at least. Getting someone named Blownix in what seems like every other node; I'm up to 7 matches against him so far. Other than that the most common are Kilpher and Yvendros.
  • bk1234
    bk1234 Posts: 2,924 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Stefan L1 three times in a row.

Craving diversity.
  • octal9
    octal9 Posts: 593 Critical Contributor
    Options
    New names, but still the same problem of "I keep facing the same users over and over" - I've been seeing Shpaaackle, Brian1125 (can't escape him, it seems), Deathwish, and a few others that escape me at the moment. I'll update once maintenance is over.
  • MaxMagic420
    MaxMagic420 Posts: 126 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Personally, I don't understand why in the world the matchmaking mechanics differ from events to QB. In QB, I never see the same name twice, matches feel balanced while maintaining an appropriate level of challenge, and I don't have to scour an Olivia twice every match four matches in a row. I've played yunnn six times, and it's getting old. Him: Olivia. Me: unholy hunger. Him: Olivia. Me: smite. Him: Olivia. Me: scour.
    Can we have decent matchmaking someday? Seems like there are ears open now, so this is me officially asking for the QB matchmaking system to be applied to all PvP events. I can pretty much guarantee a universally enthusiastic reaction if this were to happen.
  • Ohboy
    Options
    seasick wrote:
    I'm seeing the same old names. One or two new ones thrown into the mix, but the same old names anyway. There's been no change.

Like, seriously, dude, I'm one of the top players in one of the top coalitions. Why the hell am I being matched against decks running Shamble Back and Flayer Drone?

The only answer I can come up with to that question is 'Skinner Box'. To me it's a convincing answer that explains a lot about the design of this game.

Or it means you just finished watching that video.

Seriously though, if they wanted you to spend more, they would be forcing you to play only top decks to promote the need to buy the exclusives. You're not going to feel like you need grisella if all you face are flayer drones.
  • MaxMagic420
    MaxMagic420 Posts: 126 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I'd be quite surprised if those decks running flayer drone don't also have a hangarback walker chillin in there somewhere. The a.i just didn't draw or cast it. Why else other than mastery would anyone use flayer drone?
  • Ohboy
    Options
    I would assume it's a leftover deck doing Eldrazi objectives.

Non event decks joining the pool goes both ways. Sometimes you meet underpowered decks tuned to do previous objectives.
  • blacklotus
    blacklotus Posts: 589 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Ohboy wrote:

Non event decks joining the pool goes both ways. Sometimes you meet underpowered decks tuned to do previous objectives.

highly probably. I met a lvl 60 Nissa green deck running Orchard Spirit in this nop events. I was like...THANK YOU RNGESUS
  • Ohboy
    Options
    blacklotus wrote:
    Ohboy wrote:

highly probably. I met a lvl 60 Nissa green deck running Orchard Spirit in this nop events. I was like...THANK YOU RNGESUS

Just remember that for every time you meet someone like that, you probably meet a nop deck in an EC event. It balances out in the long run, and it's... Dare I say it? Fair.
  • Nitymp
    Nitymp Posts: 320 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Ohboy wrote:
    Fair.

TRIGGERED!
  • majincob
    majincob Posts: 732 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Baaaaaack to topic:

Agramonte 2
    Aquilen 2
    BaDJer 4
    Blownix 4
    Capricorn907 1
    Cernunnos 2
    CONSTORM 1
    Cragnos 1
    Crossfire 2
    Daromax 1
    Gakera 2
    goralondos 2
    JoeRico 3
    Killer464 1
    Killwind 3
    Kilpher 9
    MarsDeon 1
    Mersicide 4
    MrKnifeGuy 3
    Msaytar 1
    shiftygypsy 5
    Stefan 1
    Wizard 2
    Wlblaze 5
    Xagrum 1
    xXMekicXx 1
    Yawgmoth 2
    Yvendros 4

That's my matchup. Kilpher continues to stalk me, Heather disappeared from when she was my #2 stalker in EM, and I got a pretty wide spread with shiftygypsy and Wlblaze being the most popular.
  • madwren
    Options
    I didn't track individual opponents, but wow, that looks remarkably similar to the list of opponents I faced.
  • Zzyzzx
    Zzyzzx Posts: 248 Tile Toppler
    Options
    My opponents during Nodes of Power, mostly the usual suspects but a few one-timers I've not seen before.

Kilpher x6
    Msaytr x5
    Gakera x3
    BaDger x3
    Yawgmoth x2
    Wizard x2
    Stefan x2
    ShiftyGypsy x2
    BlowNix x2
    Yvendros
    Stoker
    Sormac
    Quebecers
    Mersicide
    Killwind
    JoeRico
    Goratondos
    Fiddler
    Argamonte
  • madwren
    Options
    It makes me wonder if the matchmaking algorithm takes, say, the first X players to join, and then just stops after 20 or so and forces everyone to face them.
  • buscemi
    buscemi Posts: 673 Critical Contributor
    Options
    madwren wrote:
    It makes me wonder if the matchmaking algorithm takes, say, the first X players to join, and then just stops after 20 or so and forces everyone to face them.

I've seen my pool of players expand slowly over time in the past. In one event, I started off playing only Quebecers for 5-10 games, and then gradually as the bracket got bigger I started to play a few more opponents every so often as well.