Hats Off...

Options
bk1234
bk1234 Posts: 2,924 Chairperson of the Boards
edited November 2016 in MtGPQ General Discussion
To anyone who has started this game in the past couple months!

Now that I have spent 3 days getting my second game going, I realize YOU are truly the makers of magic -- because OMG.

Thanks for joining the MTGPQ world and best of luck -- we all hope you stick around!

Comments

• jackvett
    jackvett Posts: 141 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Repost this as a brag thread and maybe you'll get attention?
  • Mainloop25
    Mainloop25 Posts: 1,936 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I know right? I have a decent Gideon1 at level 19 but the rest of my decks suuuuuck...
  • Elexsynn3411
    Options
    bken1234 wrote:
    To anyone who has started this game in the past couple months!

Now that I have spent 3 days getting my second game going, I realize YOU are truly the makers of magic -- because OMG.

Thanks for joining the MTGPQ world and best of luck -- we all hope you stick around!
    I've only been playing around 2 months now. Bugs aside I as so hooked on this!

Werewolfs are my card card collections strong point. My white cards are 'eh'. icon_e_wink.gif
  • killwind
    killwind Posts: 116 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Gentlemen, you are missing a very important aspect of the game, Coalitions. I am one of the leaders of Extintinction And Calamity. While Extinction sits in the top 10 we use Calamity to build up our players. That being said we help develop our players, help build up their decks and show them the strategy behind the decks. Some of the most prolific players in events and in Quick Battles aren't even day 1 players matter of fact very few of the members are in the platinum tier.

The point is find a coalition to join, start your own or find a recruitment thread on one of the forums. Find a group of guys that share the same level of enthusiasm for the game as you do and have fun!
  • bk1234
    Options
    killwind wrote:
    Gentlemen, you are missing a very important aspect of the game, Coalitions. I am one of the leaders of Extintinction And Calamity. While Extinction sits in the top 10 we use Calamity to build up our players. That being said we help develop our players, help build up their decks and show them the strategy behind the decks. Some of the most prolific players in events and in Quick Battles aren't even day 1 players matter of fact very few of the members are in the platinum tier.

The point is find a coalition to join, start your own or find a recruitment thread on one of the forums. Find a group of guys that share the same level of enthusiasm for the game as you do and have fun!

I agree with this -- coalitions make all the difference. I am also the member of a top 10 and our development coalition - tinykitty - is a mix of a few top 10 players with alt accounts (like me) -- and new players who want to develop their game. Also -- events are a great way to get experience beyond was QB can do for you. The top 10 coalitions use outside avenues for communication and sharing which enhances your game experience and gives you the opportunity to discuss the game, your decks and strategy on a more singular level. Jump in with a development coalition and your game is guaranteed to improve -- and you will also have the opportunity to move up to more active groups as you improve.

You can send me a PM for details -- or Killwind (I'm assuming) because I hear the guys over at Extinction are cool -- slightly less cool that us, but ok nonetheless.
  • OhanaUnited
    OhanaUnited Posts: 85 Match Maker
    Options
    Mainloop25 wrote:
    I know right? I have a decent Gideon1 at level 19 but the rest of my decks suuuuuck...
    Not sure if you're being sarcastic or what, Gideon1 @ level 19 is nothing to write home about (and you said the rest of your decks suck worse than Gideon1)
  • Nitymp
    Nitymp Posts: 320 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Mainloop25 wrote:
    Not sure if you're being sarcastic or what, Gideon1 @ level 19 is nothing to write home about (and you said the rest of your decks suck worse than Gideon1)

It sounds like they are a new player and G1 is probably the highest level they have? Or maybe white is the only colour they managed to pull a rare or a mythic from? No need to shoot them down like that?
  • majincob
    majincob Posts: 732 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Mainloop25 wrote:

Gideon1 at 19 is great in bronze since you only face opponents up to level 24, with the level-matching they do in events. White has great efficient cheap creatures, useful supports, and removal in common and uncommon.

I used to smash QB with a level 1 Gideon before they changed ribbon rewards to be based off level icon_e_biggrin.gif
  • Corn_Noodles
    Corn_Noodles Posts: 477 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Yeah, low level G1 used to be ideal way back when.
  • bk1234
    Options
    Mainloop25 wrote:

G1 is fantastic at lower levels -- especially with Origins cards.

It's hard to compare if you're used to playing higher though -- definitely humbling.
  • buscemi
    buscemi Posts: 673 Critical Contributor
    Options
    bken1234 wrote:
    I agree with this -- coalitions make all the difference. I am also the member of a top 10 and our development coalition - tinykitty

This post reported for circumventing the swearing filter.
  • bk1234
    Options
    buscemi wrote:
    bken1234 wrote:
    I agree with this -- coalitions make all the difference. I am also the member of a top 10 and our development coalition - tinykitty

Cheers shteev!
  • Corn_Noodles
    Corn_Noodles Posts: 477 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    buscemi wrote:
    Cheeky tinykitty.
  • Mainloop25
    Options
    Mainloop25 wrote:

No I'm not being sarcastic. I have my main account with all pw's at lvl 60 (except for Saheeli) and many mythics/rares. It's quite humbling to start over on an alt account with close to none of the cards you have relied on to win for months. Have you tried to play black with no access to zombies or kill spells besides Reave Soul? It's pretty painful. My Gideon1 is only decent at level 19 because I happened to already score Avacyn, Relic Seeker, Always Watching and Suppression Bonds out of boosters and fat packs. My Nissa is OK with Dwynen and a couple of other decent rares and uncommons. But it's pretty impossible to play as competitively as I was when I had access to my main account.

I was in agreement with Bken, and the second part of your reply is actually in agreement with my reply to her.
  • Mainloop25
    Options
    majincob wrote:
    Mainloop25 wrote:

Gideon1 at 19 is great in bronze since you only face opponents up to level 24, with the level-matching they do in events. White has great efficient cheap creatures, useful supports, and removal in common and uncommon.

I used to smash QB with a level 1 Gideon before they changed ribbon rewards to be based off level icon_e_biggrin.gif

I played Nodes with Lvl21 pws last week and was regularly matched up with other players 5 levels higher than me, and almost never 5 levels lower. If I was brand new to the game, it would certainly frustrate me.

I remember regularly getting my butt beat in QB when I first started this game in June. I didn't even come back to it until after I completed most of story mode. Not to mention, most of QB's prizes worth achieving are damn near inaccessible if you don't have at least a couple of lvl 30 planeswalkers and hours to dedicate to it.
  • Ohboy
    Ohboy Posts: 1,766 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Mainloop25 wrote:
    Mainloop25 wrote:

No I'm not being sarcastic. I have my main account with all pw's at lvl 60 (except for Saheeli) and many mythics/rares. It's quite humbling to start over on an alt account with close to none of the cards you have relied on to win for months. Have you tried to play black with no access to zombies or kill spells besides Reave Soul? It's pretty painful. My Gideon1 is only decent at level 19 because I happened to already score Avacyn, Relic Seeker, Always Watching and Suppression Bonds out of boosters and fat packs. My Nissa is OK with Dwynen and a couple of other decent rares and uncommons. But it's pretty impossible to play as competitively as I was when I had access to my main account.

I was in agreement with Bken, and the second part of your reply is actually in agreement with my reply to her.

I think it's reasonable to argue that you shouldn't be competitive when you just start out.

I'm actually surprised how quickly you can be competitive. I've seen people top the gold tier after just over a month of play.
  • Mainloop25
    Options
    I wasn't. Took me a while to become competitive. I started out close to bottom-rank in my top ten coalition and now I'm hovering somewhere in the middle depending on what event. Starting over on an alt account just highlights how difficult it is for people starting out. You have to really like this game to stick with it.
    I've seen people top the gold tier after just over a month of play.

Maybe they are buying all the crystals/mythics?

Like Bken first said: kudos!
  • Ohboy
    Ohboy Posts: 1,766 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Mainloop25 wrote:
    I wasn't. Took me a while to become competitive. I started out close to bottom-rank in my top ten coalition and now I'm hovering somewhere in the middle depending on what event. Starting over on an alt account just highlights how difficult it is for people starting out. You have to really like this game to stick with it.
    I've seen people top the gold tier after just over a month of play.

Maybe they are buying all the crystals/mythics?

Like Bken first said: kudos!

Nope. Just playing every event and collecting dailies. Along with the occasional qb snipe.