Will any 3* Characters get reworked?

ulcerousbrett
ulcerousbrett Posts: 13
edited November 2016 in MPQ General Discussion
After updating only 4* and 5* characters I'm beginning to wonder if we'll see updates for any 3* characters...

Many 3* characters don't need a total rewrite, rather just a boost to their existing damage abilities. This could be done to multiple characters at a time each season....

Want to make Psylocke relevant? Increase her Red and Black powers damage by 60%

Want to make Colossus relevant? Have his Immovable Object power resist 90% of damage, instead of 50% when fully covered

Yes I know many people don't care about 3*'s anymore and yes I know these may not be the best examples.... but a lot of characters are just rotting on the bench outside of PVE Heroics....

Thoughts?

Comments

• smkspy
    smkspy Posts: 2,024 Chairperson of the Boards
    I agree, would live to see.several 3 reworked. I would add that many like a Loki, Patch, and Hood also need significant health increases.
  • Punisher5784
    Punisher5784 Posts: 3,845 Chairperson of the Boards
    I guess to be fair we had IM40, QS and Vision reworked earlier in the year. Not sure why this abruptly stopped when someone like Spidey has been begging for a rework. I am still annoyed they took the time to fix his character model but not his powers.
  • STOPTHIS
    STOPTHIS Posts: 781 Critical Contributor
    Agreed. Even though lots of vets have passed the 3* level, the level needs some love. Hulk, Psylocke, Punisher, Colossus, and of course Spider-Man all need some love.
  • Phumade
    Phumade Posts: 2,495 Chairperson of the Boards
    Reworked to what standard? I don't disagree with the premise of the question, but you need to define what the ideal 3* is supposed to look like.

If we assume that Mr. F. is supposed to be the worst 4* in the game, are you looking to rework 3* like psylocke to be comparable to Mr. F. in health or damage output?

Within its tier, a boosted psylocke is pretty solid and very competitive. Ignoring the 5*/4* tier, the 3* hitters are really just Dr. Strange, Cyclops, Luke Cage, KK, Cap Marvel, Mags etc... A boosted psylocke from her pvp event or weekly boost, is competitive with those chars.

A power rework makes alot of sense, There are alot of new mechanics (fortified tiles, airborne, conditional powers) that have been introduced in the 2+ years since she was introduced, but those changes need to be made in light of the 3* meta, not what's happening in 4* land.
  • Punisher5784
    Phumade wrote:

A power rework makes alot of sense, There are alot of new mechanics (fortified tiles, airborne, conditional powers) that have been introduced in the 2+ years since she was introduced, but those changes need to be made in light of the 3* meta, not what's happening in 4* land.

She already took advantage of "new" powers.. wasn't she the first character to have Attack tiles? icon_lol.gif
  • carrion_pigeons
    carrion_pigeons Posts: 942 Critical Contributor
    Phumade wrote:

She already took advantage of "new" powers.. wasn't she the first character to have Attack tiles? icon_lol.gif

I'm pretty sure Doom was, no? Seems like Doom was in the game when I started but I vaguely remember Psylocke's release.
  • Punisher5784
    Phumade wrote:

I'm pretty sure Doom was, no? Seems like Doom was in the game when I started but I vaguely remember Psylocke's release.

Ah you're right. I mind is fuzzy when I start thinking about Year 1 of MPQ lol
  • bigsmooth
    bigsmooth Posts: 375 Mover and Shaker
    4* are clearly their top priority which I think is fine. People go through way more trouble to build a 4* vs a 3*.

I agree that 3* still needs attention, though, since there are many players that use 3* for many months before having usable 4*.
    I have Colossus champed and when he was boosted, I thought his redflag.png would do a heck of a lot more damage when you go through the trouble of getting him in front to fire it. Instead, it is still not very usable - it just doesn't scale well, and you're almost certain to have characters who can make better use of that red AP. His black is fun, but even in a Heroic, I basically ignored him. icon_neutral.gif
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    Phumade wrote:

Doom, i believe, was the first to have a passive/active combo on a power. I think Psylocke came before Doom though.
  • Phumade wrote:

Doom, i believe, was the first to have a passive/active combo on a power. I think Psylocke came before Doom though.

Doom definitely came before Psylocke. He only had 2 powers for the longest time. Then much later they added his passive/active purple. LR's have taken longer ever since icon_evil.gif
  • SummerGlau
    SummerGlau Posts: 1,027 Chairperson of the Boards
    If you want to see characters as they originally were check out the Console version meta
  • Crowl
    Crowl Posts: 1,580 Chairperson of the Boards
    If they intend doing one per tier a season then they should definitely do a 3* and a 4*, not to mention global tweaks like upping the health on lowest hp chars.
  • Phumade
    Phumade Posts: 2,495 Chairperson of the Boards
    A fun rework for psylocke would be to:

1. at 4 blue, if she acquires x blue AP she goes invisible as a passive.

It would force players to make a hard decision on how they respec red/black and is in character for an assassin type char. I can't think of any 3* who can go invisible.
  • DapperChewie
    DapperChewie Posts: 399 Mover and Shaker
    If they removed the countdown from her blue & made it 6 instead of 12 stolen, and changed it to the enemy's strongest color, I think Psylocke would be about 400% better. Also, change her redtile.png to purpletile.png, but keep the power the same. It fits way better thematically, even if it doesn't do the thing purpletile.png powers usually do.
    Phumade wrote:

Oh my god this is ridiculously overpowered and I love it.

In the spirit of keeping the game balanced however, I would suggest one of the following:

Keep the blue as it is, but at rank 4 or 5, she gains invisibility while the countdown tile is on the board if she has more than 10 red AP.

or:

Completely rework blue as a passive. Change it to something like Star Lord's Yellow. So when an enemy uses a power or hits for more than X damage or some other passive trigger, she throws a CD down that makes her invis for one turn and steals 1 or 2 random AP when it goes off.
  • KGB
    KGB Posts: 3,189 Chairperson of the Boards
    If they removed the countdown from her blue & made it 6 instead of 12 stolen, and changed it to the enemy's strongest color, I think Psylocke would be about 400% better. Also, change her redtile.png to purpletile.png, but keep the power the same. It fits way better thematically, even if it doesn't do the thing purpletile.png powers usually do.
    Phumade wrote:

Oh my god this is ridiculously overpowered and I love it.

In the spirit of keeping the game balanced however, I would suggest one of the following:

Keep the blue as it is, but at rank 4 or 5, she gains invisibility while the countdown tile is on the board if she has more than 10 red AP.

or:

Completely rework blue as a passive. Change it to something like Star Lord's Yellow. So when an enemy uses a power or hits for more than X damage or some other passive trigger, she throws a CD down that makes her invis for one turn and steals 1 or 2 random AP when it goes off.

I'd prefer it be changed to something far more useful:

Places a 2 turn count down tile that steals 2 AP of the color that the count down tile is placed on (including Team Up tiles if you wish to steal Team Up AP)
    Level 2: 3 turn count down
    Level 3: Steals 3 AP per turn
    Level 4: 4 turn count down
    Level 5: Steals 4 AP per turn

Players now place the count down on the color they wish to steal so you can deny color of choice or accumulate color you need that the opponent has lots of. At level 5 you could steal up to 16 AP over 4 turns.

Now that's Bewildering!

KGB
  • Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    re: Psylocke

Just increase her damage and make blue a straight theft. Voila - she's top tier.
  • TLCstormz
    TLCstormz Posts: 1,668
    Clearly, they should also work on 3s.......