What exactly affects my scaling?

richterbelmont10
richterbelmont10 Posts: 186
edited November 2016 in MPQ General Discussion
I've researched scaling, but I'm still confused. I'm in 3* land. Of the 3*, I have 34 of 40 champed. Of the 4* I have about 21 but they have very few covers and most are below level 100. I do however (and this is the big question) have SEVEN 5* characters. Four of them have 1 cover each, two have 2 covers. They are all at level 255, except for my single-yellow cover OML, who I maxed to level 270. I did that way back when I was a noob and was ignorant of things like scaling and did not know this could hurt me.

Anyway, I find I get clobbered on the last PvE nodes. (I can't defeat level 238 Jugs + 2 muscles). Are my seven 5* characters increasing my scaling? If so, by how much?

Comments

• SummerGlau
    SummerGlau Posts: 1,027 Chairperson of the Boards
    No since I have all but one five star unlocked but only 14 Three Star Champions and I only faced level 243 Juggernaut on 5th play of same node (which was actually next to last)
  • morph3us
    morph3us Posts: 859 Critical Contributor
    Yes, but only to an extent. Scaling is determined by the average level of your top 4 characters (if an email from CS is to be believed). Your 5*s are are 255-270. Having said that, if you have champed 3*s, when boosted, they're likely in the 260ish range already, so your 5*s aren't scaling your PvE nodes out of reach.

It might just be that A Tree Groots in New York is one of the more difficult PvE nodes anyway, which is why you're having trouble with it. Rostered 5*s mostly only hurt your roster if you level them substantially with a 3* roster, or if you roster them with a 2* roster.
  • DFiPL
    DFiPL Posts: 2,405 Chairperson of the Boards
    morph3us wrote:
    Yes, but only to an extent. Scaling is determined by the average level of your top 4 characters (if an email from CS is to be believed). Your 5*s are are 255-270. Having said that, if you have champed 3*s, when boosted, they're likely in the 260ish range already, so your 5*s aren't scaling your PvE nodes out of reach.

It might just be that A Tree Groots in New York is one of the more difficult PvE nodes anyway, which is why you're having trouble with it. Rostered 5*s mostly only hurt your roster if you level them substantially with a 3* roster, or if you roster them with a 2* roster.

Wasn't that even supposed to be under review, such that powers were going to be more important than levels? Did we ever find out more about that?
  • morph3us
    morph3us Posts: 859 Critical Contributor
    DFiPL wrote:
    Wasn't that even supposed to be under review, such that powers were going to be more important than levels? Did we ever find out more about that?

You're absolutely right, I'd forgotten about that. They did revise scaling to an extent that the number of covers comes into play as well. I don't think cover number trumps levels, though. Having said that, that's one of the secret sauce things that we're left to guess about.
  • Polares
    Polares Posts: 2,643 Chairperson of the Boards
    morph3us wrote:
    Scaling is determined by the average level of your top 4 characters (if an email from CS is to be believed).

Is this true? I have always thought that it was just your 3 top characters. This would be something new for me.
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    No one knows 'exactly' what affects it. What we've figured out through speculation and hearsay is it's an algorithm based on the # of powers / level of X amount of your characters.

To answer your question, with the last changes that the devs said they made (incorporating number of covers for each power), it's unlikely your 1-cover 5* are affecting your scaling. It's well more likely having 85% of the 3* champed (and thus probably 4-5 of the boosted characters @ 240+ or whatever is the boost level) is the primary driving force.
  • Okay thanks for the feedback. What would be a good softcap level for my 4* so as not to affect scaling?