Taco Question

Dormammu
Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
edited November 2016 in MPQ General Discussion
Since I started hoarding taco tokens it has led to a couple questions that I've never bothered pondering before:

1. What, if anything, dictates which vault (sweet/savory) is available? Are they ever both available?
2. What happens if you try to cash in tokens on an empty vault?
3. How frequently do the vaults change?
4. Does anyone else hoard, waiting for a cover they covet? How many do you like to hoard?

Comments

• Copps
    Copps Posts: 333 Mover and Shaker
    Savoury and sweet alternate back and forth. I'm currently saving until strange pops up. I know some people save up hundreds but I've never had the patience.
  • bob554
    bob554 Posts: 169 Tile Toppler
    Dormammu wrote:
    Since I started hoarding taco tokens it has led to a couple questions that I've never bothered pondering before:

1. What, if anything, dictates which vault (sweet/savory) is available? Are they ever both available?
    4. Does anyone else hoard, waiting for a cover they covet? How many do you like to hoard?

My two cents (as a day 676 no-spend player):
    1. as far as I know they just alternate on 5 day cycles, meaning that they won't ever be available at the same time
    2. Never cleared out a vault to try! Would be interested in the feedback on that. I would hope that you get a free 'reset vault' if that happened
    3. Deadpool vaults should change every 5 days
    4. I have tried hoarding before, got up to about 80 tokens before I gave in and started cashing them out. Have started hoarding again, got 20 of sweet and savoury tacos. I usually wait until the 4 star.png character I want shows up or if I need healthpacks
  • sinnerjfl
    sinnerjfl Posts: 1,275 Chairperson of the Boards
    Dormammu wrote:

You pull a 1 out of 300 prize in the vault without removing anything. The vault resets on the next pull.

Dont do it, not exaclty worthwhile when you can wait 5 days to have an active vault.
  • morph3us
    morph3us Posts: 859 Critical Contributor

Already answered well above. They alternate, sweet cycle, savoury cycle, 5 days each. Never both simultaneously.

Technically, the inactive vault isn't empty. It used to be that the inactive cycle vault still showed its contents, but it now doesn't. As mentioned by sinner, best not to pull from the inactive vault. It pulls from the last cycle, but you don't know what you'll get or whether the vault actually depletes.

See above.

Somebody did the maths on this once. Off the top my head, you need somewhere between 100-150 tokens to have a good chance of pulling a desirable reward from the vault (4* or LT).
  • Tromb2ch2
    Tromb2ch2 Posts: 301 Mover and Shaker
    Dormammu I've come to bargain! I mean uh usually high end players save up a bunch of tokens and then (when either the 4* are one they want preferably both) pull until they get a 4* or Lt then stop and store up again. But if you are a newer player you should pull more often because the #of usable covers is much higher.
  • Tromb2ch2
    Tromb2ch2 Posts: 301 Mover and Shaker
    Oh also fun fact, you can find out how many days are left on the taco cycle by looking at the contents of the vault. The vault contents are Lt, 2 4*, 1000 hp, 10k iso, 5k iso, 5k iso and then 5 sets of 5 covers for a 3*. So like when I'm writing this today's required character is she hulk, by looking at the contents I know I have 4 days left of this cycle and tomorrow's required character is deadpool.
  • blargrx
    blargrx Posts: 150 Tile Toppler
    It looks like most of your questions are answered. I saw someone else posted a video of them emptying the vault. You don't get a free reset when you finish

I'm currently at ~495 sweet/218 savory. I was at 400+ in each until Peggy came up in the vault a few cycles ago. I spent ~275 tacos and got 4 Peggy covers I was chasing and a bunch of other covers/iso/hp/health packs.

Yes I could have emptied the vault but I just pulled until I got the cover I wanted then reset the vault. As long as I had enough tacos to empty the vault to guarantee that I got a Peggy cover I was fine. I managed two resets. I could have gone for a 3rd reset but I was down to 200 tacos and knowing my luck id pull all 200 tacos and miss out on the Peggy cover.
  • ProfessorGumby
    ProfessorGumby Posts: 132 Tile Toppler
    Tromb2ch2 wrote:
    Oh also fun fact, you can find out how many days are left on the taco cycle by looking at the contents of the vault.

Or just look at the timer over the vault...
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    I still use them as a health pack depot. The odds of getting the health packs are significantly less than since they changed the contents, but if you have enough of a stash, you'll still get them when you need them. And then you just get whatever rewards with it. I've got all the 2/3* champed (or re-building to champ again for some 2s that flipped), so nothing goes to 'waste.'