Summoning/Control/Reinforce Issues with Creature Triggers

Options
JanksMcJank
JanksMcJank Posts: 62 Match Maker
edited November 2016 in MtGPQ General Discussion
The gist is that it seems almost random what creature effect triggers will happen when:
  • A creature is reinforced
  • You gain control of a creature
  • You regain control of a creature

Playing a control deck, you have to memorize the way gaining/regaining control works with creature triggers. Some triggers don't trigger at all, some will trigger on your gaining control and others when you lose control and the creature is returned to the owner.

It's been an issue since I started playing (a few months) and maybe a release or two ago they said they worked on it. I noticed most of the wording is standardized as "When this creature enters the battlefield"

Same thing with Reinforce. I don't even use Nahiri's "Harbinger" ability expecting anything other than 2x/3x/4x damage/health. With Evolutionary Leap, you need to memorize which creatures will have their "enter the battlefield" effect triggered. Some do, some don't.

I created a bug topic here: viewtopic.php?f=32&t=54898
Maybe you can +1 it or reply to show support? Or call me a dumbass for making mistakes and I'll correct them icon_mrgreen.gif

I figure maybe we can gain two things here:
1. Get the devs to fix things
2. Document what actually happens so it's not a surprise. Since you can't rely on the card text, it would be like having to play with a FAQ printed out next to you.

Comments

• majincob
    majincob Posts: 732 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Here's some documented game interactions: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=49538

Basically, reinforcing keyword does not trigger ETB effects, and ETB effects trigger when it comes under control of the final controller. (Temp steal: when it is returned, permanent steal: when it is taken.)
  • JanksMcJank
    JanksMcJank Posts: 62 Match Maker
    Options
    Thanks very much! I'll check out that document!

That sounds like how it would logically work, more or less. Not sure about the returning triggering again while taking doesn't...

It makes sense that ETB takes effect on entering the battlefield.
    Either changing sides counts as entering a new battlefield or it doesn't.

Even still, if it only worked on entering and returns, if that was documented in the cards and consistant, at least you could plan strategy around it.

But it's more of a mixed bag as to when ETB effects are applied. I see it a lot on takes. not always on returns.

Also some, but not all ETB effects trigger on a Reinforce Effect (Harbringer & Evolutionary Leap).