I am feeling the progression!

Punisher5784
Punisher5784 Posts: 3,845 Chairperson of the Boards
edited November 2016 in MPQ General Discussion
Based on the subject title, I am sorry to tell you this is not one of my usual Punisher sarcastic or complaint posts! I actually wanted to share my goal when I returned from retirement. My goal was to simply champion all my 2*s and 3*'s.. yes this includes the lousy 3*'s such as Spidey, Rags and Sentry. Im a completionist, I wanted to compkeyely finish the 3* tier like I would fully complete things in RPG games (e.g. max every material in FFVII).

I actually accomplished this (except obviously Strange) a couple events ago but I wanted to express that I do not regret it. I regretted maxing my 1*s during my early MPQ days (especially since I sold them all except Juggs) but not this. Now I use a variety of 3* characters instead of just a handful. I actually use the 3*'s that are boosted for a PVE as they are decent enough and this saves me healthpacks as well because I don't care if my Colossus dies (Heroics right now) because I have other champed 3*'s ready to fight. Before, even if a non-maxed 3* was boosted, I wouldn't use them because they were at level 120 so the buff only made them as good as my maxed 3*'s. This is also very useful in PVP because not everyone champs their low tiered 3*'s (e.g. Sentry). I was killing everyone in Psylocke's PVP with my champ. Championing my 3*'s has given me options and has actually helped me, not hurt me.

The one thing I always hated about this game once I covered maxed all my 3*'s was that every gold token pull that was not a 4* became Iso. Championing changed this to make every token mean something, even the 2*s. Today I maxed champed my first 2*, Hawkeye, Now I can sell him for 66K Iso and 125 HP that can be used to start my farm of the next Hawkeye. SHIELD Rank also greatly helped my progression to fully complete 3* land. I returned to the game and I started at Rank 50. Today I reached Rank 63. I moved up 13 ranks since it's implementation which I feel is moving at a nice pace. The 25K+ Iso each rank helped me level all my 3*'s as well as my 2*s. Today I am sitting on nearly 500K Iso that will be used towards my 4*'s once covered. SHIELD Clearance Level has been great as well. Even if each Level brings a very small increase in rewards, it is still a million times better than the rewards were last year. The latest SHIELD Intercept is also quite awesome and it has made my VIP actually useful just as I was about to let it expire. I like waiting for the next intercept to pop-up. The devs has done a good job with all the new SHIELD changes. The game does not always feel like a chore to play like it was last two years.

In total I have 800 CP, 26 LT's and 160 Heroic tokens. I never hoarded before until over a month ago when I opened my 16th 4* Thor yellow, who has been sitting at 2/5/3 for the longest time. I have only been opening Event tokens, mainly because I don't want numerous Post-Event token screens haha, plus I won't pull too many 4*'s, even though I actually freaking pulled another 4* Thor yellow!!!! icon_mad.gif. I feel the best approach right now is to hoard my LT's and CP for awhile, maybe Christmas, I have not decided yet but at least when I finally open them I won't be as frustrated pulling another 4* cover I have at 5. Maybe "Colorless" covers will eventually come.. in our dreams. I might, however, open my heroic tokens when 3* Strange is available, not just to fully fulfill my championing goal but mainly because I just like him alot! I know alot of players don't care for a new 3* release but it definitely refreshed 3* land and I wouldn't mind seeing a couple of more new 3*'s in the future.

Anyways, I hope this post helps those players who may feel they are not progressing, because you are even if it feels slow, even when your alliance mates have better rosters, even when you're up against players with 4* and 5* rosters, the point is just to have fun! Despite a few annoyances the past few months, overall I have been very happy with the game since my return from retirement. I look forward to see what's in these tokens I am hoarding and where they can take me when I finally open them! icon_e_biggrin.gif

Feel free to share your thoughts below. Have a nice end of PVP Season icon_razz.gif

Comments

• Copps
    Copps Posts: 333 Mover and Shaker
    Great to hear. I recently came back from a long retirement as well two full seasons and two short seasons I've got all of the threes champed up from 20 well except strange he's 127 now maxed for his covers. I've cycled each two star at least once but rolled most of the ISO into cyke hulkbuster and iceman. I finally hit the point where I'm champing four stars. I've got covers in the stash for starlord and deadpool then if I can hold off on opening more covers I'll finish the twos and go to full time four stars.
  • Uthgarprime
    Uthgarprime Posts: 202 Tile Toppler
    I am in a token sweet spot at this moment. I can horde right now and get ISO to champion Ghostrider, just championed IW this morning since her Clash is coming up. I am hording for November but also waiting for Strange to get put in tokens. I am getting more 4*'s now then ever but I always just seem to be in a spot where I can level the current one at 13 covers. I will be moving Thing and Fury up next since they are both at 12 covers.
    Like you I feel like I am progressing.
  • CT1888
    CT1888 Posts: 1,201 Chairperson of the Boards
    Testify! When people say things like "I'm not champing some of my 3*'s cos they suck", I want to give them a shake. This is the way forward people (unless you are willing to put down serious cash, then knock yourself out in 5* land). Champing all the 3*s kick started my 4* transition, farming 2*s keeps things building up nicely. Strong boosted all round let you reach those higher pvp progression points. DOOO EEEEEET!
  • GurlBYE
    GurlBYE Posts: 1,218 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'd try but I don't want to spend that much more to roster 3 stars who it'll take me months to cover then on top of it, spend the iso to champ, then adding even more thousand hero point slots for 2 star farms. It works great if you spend.

If you're at your wits end spending wise with this game though, things are stagnating a bit from the initial champ hype period.

Because selectively champing wasn't for fun, it was so you didn't spend that 120k that coul go towards a powerful 4, on a 3 like rags. or spending the 70K on a 3 that could make your gameplay easier, into a 2 like your second thor.

What's cool is you earn a slot on your like 8th 2 star champed, HP wise.
  • seyerin
    seyerin Posts: 71 Match Maker
    Great words guy, how ever. I have saved 1000cp and 23 LT, and I dont know when I pulled that.
  • Erndiese
    Erndiese Posts: 40 Just Dropped In
    "I would fully complete things in RPG games (e.g. max every material in FFVII)."

how else would you get enough sets of Master Materia? icon_e_biggrin.gificon_mrgreen.gifmanagreen.pngmanared.pngmanawhite.png
  • Astralgazer
    Astralgazer Posts: 267 Mover and Shaker
    This.

Despite my rants, I'm progressing nicely. Now I regularly placed T50 in PVE and I can now hit 800 in PVP. All by devoting several hours of gameplay a day. (And of course some hard earned cash on HP. icon_e_biggrin.gif ) I haven't finished champing all my 3* but there are only a few left to champ. HP is no big problem now as the rewards from 3* champs, PVE and PVP have now begun to flow in.

I will continue to rant, of course. It's part of the fun. But I think I will get my kicks from this game for a long time.
  • SummerGlau
    SummerGlau Posts: 1,027 Chairperson of the Boards
    I see progression just in the fact that enemies are higher level in PVE, but the nodes are no more difficult because I'm not leveling up characters I don't use
  • BlackSheep101
    BlackSheep101 Posts: 2,025 Chairperson of the Boards
    I came back for anniversary iii after a short retirement, and decided to play one full season under the new scoring system. In that time, I champed some already covered 4*s: icon_redhulk.pngicon_miles.pngicon_nova.pngicon_ghostrider.pngicon_wolverine.pngicon_invisiblewoman.png (don't judge)

I also fully covered a bunch more: icon_cyclops.png (champed) icon_jeangrey.pngicon_thing.pngicon_carnage.pngicon_hulkcho.pngicon_venom.png

Champed my last three 3*s: icon_ragnarok.pngicon_falcon.pngicon_spiderman.png
    ...and managed to champ Strang3 by the end of his PvP.

Maxed and sold 6 2*s, and built up 6 more champions.

Also picked up six or seven 5* covers, though nothing that advanced any to useful status.
  • Jarvind
    Jarvind Posts: 1,684 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'll jump on the happy feels bandwagon here.

After finally finishing up the 3* tier (all champed), getting a 2* farm going, and champing all the top-end 4*s plus a few second-stringers, I have finally reached the point where I can just hoard up ISO in anticipation of the next unchamped 4* cover. Up until now it's just been a perpetual scramble to champ what I can from my queue, and it is a huge relief.

I'm looking forward to just playing for fun and casually champing 4*s as they come - I'm in no rush to move on to the 5* tier even though I have a few at 10+ covers, since it'd make my shiny 4* champions mostly useless.
  • Berserk_Al
    Berserk_Al Posts: 411 Mover and Shaker
    Considering the latest ten or so roster slots have come from champion HP for me, and most XP comes from adding covers and levels to characters, I can only go faster now.
    Now that I will roster Gwenpool and Beast, I will have all 3 and 4 stars except the new Blade. Now I can focus on rostering more 2-stars (I have 60+ of their covers on queue, except of the 5 2stars I have rostered).

I feel no guilt investing resources on the lower tiers. HP, ISO and CP will be recovered at a rate faster than when they were first adquired.
  • Crnch73
    Crnch73 Posts: 504 Critical Contributor
    I, too, feel the progression!

By the end of the week, I will champ Loki and then have only Rags and 3strange left to champ from the 3*, and have a working farm of 2*. Unfortunately, I still don't have many 4* worth using... 4cyke is the only one worth it, and he is at 5/2/4. I have 300CP and 16 LT's waiting to be opened, but I have been burned lately by getting 3 covers of characters already maxed in that color (cyke red, peggy blue, 4venom green) so I have decided to hold off for now. I won't have much ISO once I champ Loki, but it will come eventually.

My only true gripe is the same as everyone else (and something I have learned to live with for now): how slow my 4* come along. Either by RNG giving me random characters that I don't need yet (thanks for the drax covers, seriously), or RNG giving me colors I can't use. I still have zero Peggy yellows, and I still have only 5 hulk buster covers total. I wish there was a way to try to narrow the RNG focus onto certain characters. with 40+ 4* characters, the randomness really makes it hard to accomplish anything. It would be nice to have a token or something where you only pull from a certain pool of 4* and have no chance at 5*. I would pay 15 CP all day long (maybe even the normal 20CP) if I could choose which group of 4* to pull from. Still somewhat randomized, but it would help me focus on certain characters, one at a time, than basically focus on all of the characters at once. And yes, 3* rewards are great, not complaining, but it takes a LONG time to get more than the first 4* reward. level 183 is not that bad, but then it's 40 levels after that before you get the next one.
  • HaywireII
    HaywireII Posts: 568 Critical Contributor
    CT1888 wrote:
    Testify! When people say things like "I'm not champing some of my 3*'s cos they suck", I want to give them a shake.

I'm not champing some of my 3*'s cos even though they don't suck and I really want to champ them I can't keep up with the ISO requirements for the 4* characters that I keep fully covering who are useful and have a 14th cover sitting in my queue.

I'm looking at you Mohawk Storm. I really want to champ you but Thoress' 14th cover expires in in 6 days and Starlord's 14th expires in 13.
  • JVReal
    JVReal Posts: 1,884 Chairperson of the Boards
    I never got my Master Materia... but I will be buying the FFVII download for my PS3 and starting that over again... so it'll happen.

I finally champed my last 3* this season... Spidey... then they released Doctor Strange. He's my only 3* left to champ.

have 4 2* building back up after harvesting them, the rest are champed and adding covers to them as I get them... kinda sparse with no-pull November.

4* I have 10 champed, and 7 fully covered to be champed... the rest are waiting for covers.

Only missing 5* Black Widow and 5* Doctor Strange (and the 1* aside from juggs and mbw).

Definitely feeling the progress, though slow. 108/108 roster spots. Free to Play, day 777.
  • JackTenrec
    JackTenrec Posts: 808 Critical Contributor
    GurlBYE wrote:
    I'd try but I don't want to spend that much more to roster 3 stars who it'll take me months to cover then on top of it, spend the iso to champ, then adding even more thousand hero point slots for 2 star farms. It works great if you spend.

Because selectively champing wasn't for fun, it was so you didn't spend that 120k that coul go towards a powerful 4, on a 3 like rags. or spending the 70K on a 3 that could make your gameplay easier, into a 2 like your second thor.

Maybe skipping championing 3* is a better way to go if you're focusing on PvP, but on the PvE side of things, I'm convinced that championing everything is the way to go. Also keep in mind that I'm a F2P player, so this doesn't involve buying ISO or HP for slots (although I had thought about it plenty of times in the past, especially when grinding out ISO for champion fees).

Having a full or nearly full champion 3* roster means that you can take better advantage of boosted characters and essentials. It also means you've got some fallback options either due to bad luck or limited roster events.

Focusing roster slots on 4* and higher without completing the 3* tier means slower growth since those covers had much lower drop rates. In the meanwhile, rostering 3* characters provide nominal boosts to both CP and HP (which means faster acquisition of slots, as well as 4* covers).

I've got just about all 3* rostered and most championed (never found the time for Sentry), and am closing in on having all 4* rostered, and everyone (except 5*) is leveled as high as they can go. The rate of 4* covers is slow enough that I can keep leveling as I acquire covers, so I don't have to make those choices about what to level until I start getting into 4* champion territory (and my best characters are still a couple of covers away). It's getting to the point where I can start thinking about rebuilding my 2* roster for farming purposes.
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    When champing was about to be a thing, I remember thinking my game time was about to end. I had maybe five or six 3*s who weren't at level 166 and a handful of 4*s that seemed impossible to max out. I figured I'd end up getting all my 3*s maxed then end it. I had a ton of ISO I didn't really feel like using.

Then championing hit and I champed every possible 2* and 3* immediately and saved ISO up to champ whomever I had a spare cover for from a PvP or PvE prize. Got close in some respects. And the wave of legendary tokens got me a ton of covers for my 4*s. Suddenly a lot of them became viable. Eventually all of my 3* were champed.

I don't regret championing all my 3*s at all. Now I don't waste a single 3* cover, all of them go towards helping me by generating ISO, HP or CP or even giving free 4* covers. I'm a long way from maxing out any of them. Once they made selling 2*s much more lucrative, I don't even get disappointed in seeing 2* covers any more! Now I just cycle through them as I need to, I get a temporary boost to ISO which I can use to level a 4* up a bit and then save up again as the covers slowly return for that 2* I sold.

The cover system is a lot better now for 3* and lower for me than it was when I started. The only real issue I face now is my Ghost Rider sat at 2/5/5 and a black cover sat in my roster I can't use. Colourless covers for 4*s would be nice. I'm thinking especially since my Star Lord is 5/5/1. I have a few lower 4*s who are 1/1/4 or a variation of. Would suck to get a cover for them and have the rotten luck of a 6th cover in a colour when I need 6 in any *other* cover...meaning there's no way that's going to happen before the cover expires.