What level does thing need to be.

Uthgarprime
Uthgarprime Posts: 202 Tile Toppler
edited November 2016 in MPQ General Discussion
I have a 5/3/3 Thing at 170. He can't even bring Torch down half with all maxxed damage boosts. That and no matter how hard I try to be careful with my moves every single move I made the AI got to make a perfect match the next move. I am not exaggerating, the AI pretty much made a non color move about 5% of the time and this was with me in full denial mode. I guess I will pass on this one til the next go round.

Comments

• HaywireII
    HaywireII Posts: 568 Critical Contributor
    Sounds like you are having bad luck. I won with 4/4/3 Thing at level 140. +100% all damage, +50% Red Yellow Damage, +2 all AP. Used my green when he put out inferno and my red when it looked like it would let me set up a good move. I think I had 3000 health left when he went down.
  • chaos01
    chaos01 Posts: 316 Mover and Shaker
    Agreed on the bad luck. I beat it with a 2/5/2 lvl 134. Deny red and save it for when you need a stun. I also went in with +2r/y, +2 all ap, 100% match damage. He got one green power and 1 inferno off. I stunned when he was going to use fireball and finished off with a street special.
  • jredd
    jredd Posts: 1,387 Chairperson of the Boards
    it's not impossible but you gotta be lucky. it took me 6 tries with a 4/4/3 229. thing is just not great on his own. he more of a meat shield/support character.
  • Natsufan01
    Natsufan01 Posts: 259 Mover and Shaker
    My 3/5/3 I levelled to 150 and still needed a decent board. Should be doable with yours, go in with red ap boosted and whatever damage boosts you can. Deny red and black.
  • Nellobee
    Nellobee Posts: 457 Mover and Shaker
    This is one of the harder ones for sure- torch has 3 good attacks, 2 of which the AI uses just fine. You, on the other hand, have 2 attacks and a wholly useless passive.
    This is one they should've tweaked when they did the last pass.
  • SummerGlau
    SummerGlau Posts: 1,027 Chairperson of the Boards
    Higher than 1/1/1 lvl 78...hope that helps
  • zodiac339
    zodiac339 Posts: 1,948 Chairperson of the Boards
    If only Thing's green was better. The rank 3 "boost" provides minor cascade potential and zero damage. Unfortunate I can't bring myself to consider him a priority champion. He's 5/5/3 for me. I know targeting part of the board to destroy doesn't really fit his brawler style, but hitting a random area for no additional damage really blows.
    Why is the 3-star FF character the best one?
  • dudethtsawesome
    dudethtsawesome Posts: 165 Tile Toppler
    I was able to pull it off on my 2nd try with a 2/3/5 level 140 thing. I used 2 green ap boosts, 2 all ap boosts, and 50% red/yellow damage boosts. I was able to get red almost right off the bat and saved green until I had enough to use it twice. It was one of the better ones I think we've had. It is definitely better than falcaps ddq, that one took me 23 tries.
  • GurlBYE
    GurlBYE Posts: 1,218 Chairperson of the Boards
    The issue with these is that they are so luck based, unless the character is leveled and champed, and in some cases even then it will be (have they revisited doom v mr fantastic lol)
  • smkspy
    smkspy Posts: 2,024 Chairperson of the Boards
    50% of every crash comes down to simple board luck. Especially since so many characters are like Thing or PX are handicapped going in.
  • Azoth658
    Azoth658 Posts: 348 Mover and Shaker
    There is an element of board luck but most crashes have colour overlap that means a good board for you is the same for the enemy. Passive characters definitely have a handicap but on the flip side we get to boost our damage or starting ap for very little iso.

I've found that in the crashes unless there is a particularly good ability for my four star having the match damage increased in their best colours makes the match so much easier. Red yellow boosted to +50% was all Thing needed at 172 to best Johnny who got two reds off on me.

If you're struggling read Peters four star guide. It's not updated but for all the crashes he covered he really put good tips on how to beat the enemy with lower covers and levels.
  • CT1888
    CT1888 Posts: 1,201 Chairperson of the Boards
    I beat him a while back when my Thing was 1/1/2, level 94, so yes, with boosts, good board, good board management and dropping the stun at the right time, it's a very winnable fight.
    1 unboosted attempt go at 166 4/3/5 saw me right today.
  • shadowyoshi
    shadowyoshi Posts: 153 Tile Toppler
    I won this last run with a 2/3/1 Thing level 131 (obviously lucky board). It all depends on the board. This time I lost 7 times with a 3/5/4 level 170 Thing because I kept drawing boards so full of black it was insane (I had one match where I had 15 black AP in 8 turns and still had been hit by Inferno to get whittled away to nothing).
  • metallion
    metallion Posts: 276 Mover and Shaker
    Probably just bad luck like others have said. I fared just as badly, it took me 13 tries (based on my remaining ap boosts) before I took him down with a lvl 150 2/2/4 thing. Keep plugging at it. Your damage for yancy may be a detriment at 3 covers, but it should be enough to get rid of most att tiles he puts out, plus it is balanced out with your red. Just got to plan your power use strategically, especially how you use your stuns
  • Uthgarprime
    Uthgarprime Posts: 202 Tile Toppler
    Finally got lucky and took him down. Took some major luck.
  • Evilgenius_9
    Evilgenius_9 Posts: 132 Tile Toppler
    2/3/4 lvl 188 and won first try, but it was close. Used + g/b damage, +2 g/b ap, + all ap.
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    I have beaten this crash with 0 red covers and green ranging from 3 to 5 covers (check peter gibbons old guide for the details). It is possible. At 170 with 5 red and some green, you shoupd be able to do it without boosting. Just manage torch's ap, especually black and red. Save your green until you need to remove some special tiles from the board, and sace your red until there are several dangerous matches out and you cant deny them all.
  • snlf25
    snlf25 Posts: 947 Critical Contributor
    Took my 5/3/5 level 271 thing two tries, used no boosts. This is one of those where not even being championed is a guarantee. Human Torch is just tough and Thing is basically a meat shield.
  • SummerGlau
    SummerGlau Posts: 1,027 Chairperson of the Boards
    no doubt being able to stun torch and deny red and green is key
    doesn't help that one of thing's powers is useless and Inferno's drawback has no effect on solo torch
  • pstar782004
    pstar782004 Posts: 21 Just Dropped In
    5/2/4 level 120, no boost. Took me 2 attempt. Thing and Human Torch overlap in red and green, and block black as inferno deal 280 per tile.