Match-5 activated powers should be nerfed

DeNappa
DeNappa Posts: 1,390 Chairperson of the Boards
There are some powers in the game that activate when you or the enemy team makes a match-5.

In my opinion, these powers should either have their effects reduced, or not activate at all when the match-5 is caused by skyfall.

There is no skill or effort involved in match-5ing that just fall from above after making a match; it's just pure RNG. That is bad design, even though it sometimes works out in your favor.

Comments

• Azoth658
    Azoth658 Posts: 348 Mover and Shaker
    DeNappa wrote:
    There are some powers in the game that activate when you or the enemy team makes a match-5.

In my opinion, these powers should either have their effects reduced, or not activate at all when the match-5 is caused by skyfall.

There is no skill or effort involved in match-5ing that just fall from above after making a match; it's just pure RNG. That is bad design, even though it sometimes works out in your favor.

I have to disagree with you here. It's an entirely frustrating moment but the match five heroes are balanced with lower health generally with the exception being phoenix who is a five star and everyone knows that the power curve from five to everything else is crazy.

I love facing professor x or Jean Grey because they add a huge puzzle element. How often do you really run a foul of the enemy cascading into match 5 not too often and it happens just as much for the player.

Even if you don't have one of these characters that's a ton of ap to fire an ability immediately. The only thing I'd want with the way the tiles fall is a unique character that changes the way tiles fall for the duration of the match left right normal or up. It would really make things a little bit random and fun.
  • DeNappa
    DeNappa Posts: 1,390 Chairperson of the Boards
    Just to be clear, I'm not saying this should apply on normal cascades. I'm perfectly fine with a smart move that results in a match-5 down the line. I'm arguing that it would be restricted to cases involving tiles that are new on the board as a result of the match (or fired power).

So, for example, if you make a vertical match-4, and 5 tiles of the same color drop down from above, this is a situation where the nerf should be applied. If a match-5 is formed during Loki's 'Illusions', the nerf should not be applied (sure this is RNG too, but where and when to apply a power is a calculated move). Doom's technopatic strike causing match-5s in black are OK, but all consecutive matches in the resulting cascade that involve new tiles dropped from above are not.