Bronze Characters

Options
Nonce Equitaur 2
Nonce Equitaur 2 Posts: 2,269 Chairperson of the Boards
edited April 2014 in MPQ General Discussion
Since the Gold characters saved developer time.... how about adding some Bronze characters?

These would all be 1* versions of existing characters. No big event or reward for them, they would be new common characters in tokens. For people well into the game, they would mainly be useful in 1* tournaments, but might also be useful if there was a 1-2-3* tournament.

Heroes: Wolverine, Thor, Captain America, Psylocke, Black Panther
Villains: Magneto, Ares, Loki, Doctor Doom

I would very likely collect and work on leveling at least five of these 1* versions if they were made available. There are currently only 7 commons in the tokens, and it should be at least 10.

Comments

• Since the Gold characters saved developer time.... how about adding some Bronze characters?

These would all be 1* versions of existing characters. No big event or reward for them, they would be new common characters in tokens. For people well into the game, they would mainly be useful in 1* tournaments, but might also be useful if there was a 1-2-3* tournament.

Heroes: Wolverine, Thor, Captain America, Psylocke, Black Panther
    Villains: Magneto, Ares, Loki, Doctor Doom

I would very likely collect and work on leveling at least five of these 1* versions if they were made available. There are currently only 7 commons in the tokens, and it should be at least 10.

I actually like this idea better than gold characters.
  • Nonce Equitaur 2
    Options
    One amusing thing we'd see if they did this ... in eventual 1* tournaments, the people with the best rosters would be the relatively new players, because they would be the only group that leveled up the new 1* characters. The established players here would need to rely on the 1* characters they've already leveled up.
  • I took this idea a bit further a while back...
    viewtopic.php?f=7&t=4787
  • One downside to bronze characters is that the 1* slate needs to remain small, so that it's very easy for new players to focus their early covers into a very few characters. For related reasons, I doubt we'll see the 2* lineup expand a lot beyond it's current size, either. That's why the bulk of new characters for the past while have been 3*s; once the 3* pool gets to a particular size, I expect new development to switch primarily to 4*s. I don't know how big the 3* tier will end up being, but I'm sure the devs have considered the question in depth.
  • Nonce Equitaur 2
    Options
    The 1* slate could remain small for new players by pulling Yelena out of the tokens, and leaving her as a prize in the Prologue missions. Juggernaut is also well covered in the drop missions, as well as Hawkeye and Black Widow -- which can also be directly purchased. So pull those four out of the standard tokens, and put in 1* versions of Captain America, Black Panther, Magneto, and Ares. They'd still be able to build Juggs, Hawkeye, Black Widow, and Yelena for free just by grinding the missions. The rest of us would be spared from seeing these guys in the tokens.

The excess of 3* characters is a worse situation. When I started the game, there were seven 3* characters. It was hard to get any of them, let alone all three covers for any of them. Now there are sixteen 3* characters. If you need a particular cover for one of your 4* characters, under the small chance of getting a 3* cover, the new players have a 1 in 45 chance of it being the cover they needed.
  • The 1* slate could remain small for new players by pulling Yelena out of the tokens, and leaving her as a prize in the Prologue missions. Juggernaut is also well covered in the drop missions, as well as Hawkeye and Black Widow -- which can also be directly purchased. So pull those four out of the standard tokens, and put in 1* versions of Captain America, Black Panther, Magneto, and Ares. They'd still be able to build Juggs, Hawkeye, Black Widow, and Yelena for free just by grinding the missions. The rest of us would be spared from seeing these guys in the tokens.

The excess of 3* characters is a worse situation. When I started the game, there were seven 3* characters. It was hard to get any of them, let alone all three covers for any of them. Now there are sixteen 3* characters. If you need a particular cover for one of your 4* characters, under the small chance of getting a 3* cover, the new players have a 1 in 45 chance of it being the cover they needed.

I like the 1* suggestion, except for the fact that making a certain number of 1*s drop-only creates the possibility of "oh no, I vendored my Juggs and now I want to rebuild him, but it's literally not possible." Granted, this should only come up in a tiny, tiny number of cases, but it's avoidable by leaving them in the Standard token mix.

A more meta-issue is that I believe the devs probably want to move the focus of the game into the higher and higher star tiers. It's much better for their model if (as now) players view the 1* tier as a stepping stone into 2*, and 2* as mostly a stepping stone into 3* land. Sure, the existence of 1*-only tournaments cuts against this, but encouraging "progression" is clearly part of the gameplan.

I fully agree that the 3* issue is more pressing. Increasing numbers of 3* characters means that new players especially will face a more painful roster-size crunch more quickly, and everyone without a full 3* roster will find it more difficult to make the 2* -> 3* transition due to a multitude of partially-covered 3* characters that can't compete with completed or near-complete 2*s. I think the best answer lies in standardizing event-type tokens that include only a short list of 2*s/3*s, and then making them available in bursts (or allowing a choice among tokens) in order to permit some amount of directed/semi-random growth.
  • Nonce Equitaur 2
    Options
    If they want to transition the game more, then they shouldn't have 90% of the prizes as 1* characters with a ten second flashy explosion for each one requiring multiple presses to sell.

If they want to spend so much of the reward aspect of the game on 1* characters, then they should vary them more. If they want to transition higher, then the standard tokens should be 60% 1*, 30% 2*, and 10% 1*.
  • Nonce Equitaur 2
    Options
    Another asks for 1* characters. This thread offers an easy way to do that.
  • I imagine the * Hulk that could heal up in 10 minutes max... O,O
  • pasa_ wrote:
    I imagine the * Hulk that could heal up in 10 minutes max... O,O
    Dakens and Wolverines should heal up faster anyway, 1* or not. Still, I'm holding out for that platinum 4* Daken...
  • HailMary
    HailMary Posts: 2,179
    Options
    For 1*s, if retirement is an option, Yelena should absolutely go. Replace her with a 1* who can showcase weak health regen and/or attack-upon-injury. Virtually every other ability type is represented in 1*s: direct damage, stun, AP steal, board clearing, and Headbutt-style self-damage. Countdowns are copiously showcased in goons, and DD's traps don't count as a real ability type.
    Dakens and Wolverines should heal up faster anyway, 1* or not. Still, I'm holding out for that platinum 4* Daken...
    I'm really just disappointed that IM40 is so meh, considering how totally awesome Iron Man is. There should be a 4* Iron Man who's just total whuppage.
  • Sure why not, preferably in the form of x-babies.
  • to bring more variety sounds nice but 7 more 1* could be around 3000 extra HP for rosterspace you need for not much of a return
    i dont think people would like that
    more in the line of "great more variety in covers that i sell for 100 so i dont get bored to much when i sell 20 1* covers at once"

PS shouldnt this post be in "Suggestions and Feedback" ?
  • NighteyesGrisu
    NighteyesGrisu Posts: 563 Critical Contributor
    Options
    HailMary wrote:
    I'm really just disappointed that IM40 is so meh, considering how totally awesome Iron Man is. There should be a 4* Iron Man who's just total whuppage.
    Indeed. He's not even bad enough to proberly whine about him, just totally and all-around meh, whereas the 'real' Iron Man is pretty much the anti-thesis of meh. When he was releases I so wanted to get him...now he just sits in my roster and rusts icon_e_sad.gif
  • The_Riley_ wrote:
    to bring more variety sounds nice but 7 more 1* could be around 3000 extra HP for rosterspace you need for not much of a return
    Good point. To counter that, how about having 1* covers not taking up purchased roster space, they automatically get a free slot? Possibly limited to one of each 1* char, multiple copies should still consume slots. Would definitely help newcomers get a foot into the game.
  • Moghwyn wrote:
    The_Riley_ wrote:
    to bring more variety sounds nice but 7 more 1* could be around 3000 extra HP for rosterspace you need for not much of a return
    Good point. To counter that, how about having 1* covers not taking up purchased roster space, they automatically get a free slot? Possibly limited to one of each 1* char, multiple copies should still consume slots. Would definitely help newcomers get a foot into the game.

hate to play devils advocate but what would bring that for D3?
    if you give free slots to 1* then all the players wo have a lone star team gain 3 slots
    slots they dont need to buy for upcoming new covers
    sure many get the HP from events but not all
    so free 1* slot = less money for D3
    and less money for D3 = less money to make this game more awesome
  • IF new 1* characters were to be implemented, this is how I think it should be handled.

1. Pull current 1* villain characters out of the Standard Tokens.
    2. Add new 1* character rewards to the prologue, replacing current villain rewards.
    3. Add new 1* characters to the Standard tokens.
    3. Add all current 1* villains to the Starter heroes page for 25 HP each, so they are still obtainable for people who really want them, and D3P can still make money.
    4. Roster slots still required for 1* characters.
  • Nonce Equitaur 2
    Options
    SirKopath wrote:
    IF new 1* characters were to be implemented, this is how I think it should be handled.

1. Pull current 1* villain characters out of the Standard Tokens.
    2. Add new 1* character rewards to the prologue, replacing current villain rewards.
    3. Add new 1* characters to the Standard tokens.
    3. Add all current 1* villains to the Starter heroes page for 25 HP each, so they are still obtainable for people who really want them, and D3P can still make money.
    4. Roster slots still required for 1* characters.

I really like that plan. I get 4+ Standard tokens every day, so this would be something new in those. All existing 1* characters are covered, it would still be relatively easy for a newcomer to get any particular 1* character with some effort.
  • MarvelMan
    MarvelMan Posts: 1,350
    Options
    Having a players first copy of a 1* be comped sounds great to me as it works to eliminate one of the biggest barriers to new players: increasing cost of rosters. Recently new players have been bombarded with random 3* covers, which they often sell as the cost of roster slots is tough to stomach. If D3 were to allow 1*s as free slots, it would make paying to keep the 2*, 3* and 4* covers more palatable.

Ive also advocated for roster slots (not just HP) be part of the daily rewards. I dont think that comping one via daily reward every 30-40 days would be game breaking, and it would ease the burnout associated with grinding for placement (for F2P).
  • Nonce Equitaur 2
    Options
    pasa_ wrote:
    I imagine the * Hulk that could heal up in 10 minutes max... O,O

It's much easier to anger a low-level Hulk. I would give a 1* Hulk a roster slot for this alone.