3* Strange purple 'up to 2 tiles' often does less than 2?

Akari
Akari Posts: 492 Mover and Shaker
After using Dr Strange 3* a bunch, his purple is starting to bug me. It says 'removes up to 2 etc etc tiles', and most of the time I use it, it only removes 1. I understand that by pure wording that makes sense, but from a usable ability standpoint, that's a big ****. 4* Jean Grey's purple says 'converts up to 6 tiles' and will always remove as many as possible up to 6, and never less. Why does Dr Strange work differently?

Comments

• Nightglider1
    Nightglider1 Posts: 703 Critical Contributor
    They have to be specific types of tiles. Perhaps that's what's going on - there aren't enough of those out?

Eye of Agamotto 11 purpletile.png
    By Agammotto’s all-revealing light - let the Eye see through your plans with mystic sight! Remove up to 2 random enemy Attack tiles and gain 2 purple AP.
    Level 2: Remove up to 2 random enemy Attack or Protect tiles and gain 2 purple AP.
    Level 3: Remove up to 2 random enemy Attack, Protect, or Strike tiles and gain 3 purple AP.
    Level 4: Remove up to 2 random enemy Attack, Protect, Strike, or Invisibility tiles and gain 3 purple AP
    Level 5: Remove up to 2 random enemy Attack, Protect, Strike, Invisibility or Trap tiles and gain 4 purple AP.
    Max Level:
    Level 3: Remove up to 2 random enemy Attack, Protect, or Strike tiles and gain 3 purple AP.
    Level 4: Remove up to 2 random enemy Attack, Protect, Strike, or Invisibility tiles and gain 3 purple AP.
    Level 5: Remove up to 2 random enemy Attack, Protect, Strike, Invisibility or Trap tiles and gain 4 purple AP.
  • BearVenger
    BearVenger Posts: 453 Mover and Shaker
    No, I notice it on a lot of Daken levels. I'll get only one of two or more red strike tiles, and my Strang3 is 5-purple. I don't actually recall him zapping two tiles ever.
  • Nightglider1
    Nightglider1 Posts: 703 Critical Contributor
    Definitely submit a ticket, then.

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1274
  • zodiac339
    zodiac339 Posts: 1,948 Chairperson of the Boards
    I've only ended up using the power twice. Mine is at rank 5. First time, it seemed like it only hit one tile. I just played the Wolverine required mission against Daken, counted his Strikes at 4, then used Eye of Agamotto. 1 tile cleansed, 3 strikes left on the board. And I just used it again. 2 strikes on the board, only 1 cleansed. And again, only 1 cleansed. And Shield Intercept error on top of that. This is getting annoying.
  • mpqr7
    mpqr7 Posts: 2,642 Chairperson of the Boards
    Same with me. Eye of Aggamoto only seems to get rid of 1 tile, not 2 or more as stated in the description.
  • Jaedenkaal
    Jaedenkaal Posts: 3,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    Will it do one strike AND one attack at the same time? Or some combo of two tiles of different types? Maybe that's the issue.

Presumably still a bug since at rank 1 it can only remove Attack tiles so would never be able to remove up to 2, if it's only looking for 1 tile per type.
  • BlackSheep101
    BlackSheep101 Posts: 2,025 Chairperson of the Boards
    I've used it at level 3 recently and had it remove two of the same type of tile consistently. (attack tiles on Carnage nodes)
  • The Herald
    The Herald Posts: 463 Mover and Shaker
    Mine at 5 covers is only removing one tile.

I got suspicious when there always seemed more enemy special tiles than I expected, so I started double checking.

It's pretty annoying. It's a very expensive power for only two tiles removed (you get flexibility and hard to deal with tiles for the cost). Since this was the cover shoved down your throat if you aren't a while it would be nice if it worked as intended.
  • CNash
    CNash Posts: 952 Critical Contributor
    The phrase "up to X tiles" is not used consistently in this game. Magneto's Magnetized Projectiles says it "swaps up to 5/6/7 random Blue tiles with Red tiles", and if the right amount of each are on the board it'll swap all of them every time. Scarlet Witch's Hex Bolt says it destroys "up to 3/4 random [...] tiles", but can (and often does) target fewer tiles than the maximum stated.
  • BlackSheep101
    BlackSheep101 Posts: 2,025 Chairperson of the Boards
    Switch's greenflag.png will always target as many tiles as it can. There are some tiles it can't target-- friendly special tiles, mainly-- which may limit the number of cells it pops.

"Up to" has been used consistently to include cases with fewer targets than the maximum. If Eye of Agamotto is removing fewer than two enemy special tiles when more are available, this is a bug.