Emrakul pairings!

Options
killwind
killwind Posts: 116 Tile Toppler
edited November 2016 in MtGPQ General Discussion
Who did you guys see in your pairings during the event. I got Kilpher, Msaytar, Marruk, and Gakera about 60% of the time did anyone else get the same pairing over and over?

Comments

• jimilinho_
    Options
    I played those you mentioned plus merseycide, Mrknifeguy and ultradaved.

Oh and some guy named Killwind showed up 5 or 6 times too.
  • octal9
    octal9 Posts: 593 Critical Contributor
    Options
    In my gold bracket I am consistently up against Brian1125, Ahzim05, Kiora1, and several others that I cannot recall at the moment.
  • ZW2007-
    ZW2007- Posts: 812 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Brian1125 seems like an old friend at this point. I spend so much time playing against his decks that I feel like I actually know what he's like based on his card choices.
  • madwren
    madwren Posts: 2,236 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    killwind wrote:
    Who did you guys see in your pairings during the event. I got Kilpher, Msaytar, Marruk, and Gakera about 60% of the time did anyone else get the same pairing over and over?

Lots of Kilpher, Gakera, and Marruk here, as well, though no Msaytar or you (both of whom are usually in my rotation).
  • jimilinho_
    Options
    Next event I'm gonna keep track of exactly who I play each time. Just to see if it's as harsh as I think it is.
  • madwren
    madwren Posts: 2,236 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    jimilinho_ wrote:
    Next event I'm gonna keep track of exactly who I play each time. Just to see if it's as harsh as I think it is.

I was keeping track on a spreadsheet for awhile. Usually out of 48 games or so, I'd have a small handful of people I was matched with 8-10 times, which is ~ 20% of my matches, and a couple of others in the 3-5 range. To add to that, often (3+ times) I'd be matched against the same deck by a single person, so I might face Nitymp's Ajani 3 times in 48 games.

That being said, the "small handful" of people did change from event to event. One week it'd be Ultradaved and Killwind, the next MSaytar and Marruk.
  • majincob
    majincob Posts: 732 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I track who I play. This time I played Kilpher 9 times, Clarkster 6 times, and everyone else 1 or 2 times.
  • MaxMagic420
    MaxMagic420 Posts: 126 Tile Toppler
    Options
    octal9 wrote:
    In my gold bracket I am consistently up against Brian1125, Ahzim05, Kiora1, and several others that I cannot recall at the moment.

Exactly the same opponent pool for me. I run into ahzim's kiora deck often in any event with a blue or green node. But this emrakul I saw moorepwnage at least 7-10 times, his lil2 and jace2.
  • bk1234
    bk1234 Posts: 2,924 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    34 of my 48 Gold matches were against Longshaft.

So glad I'm tiering up this time.
  • zaann85
    zaann85 Posts: 119 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Longshaft, Gunbunny, Kiora1, Moorepwnage, Ni6htmare, Brian1125...
  • ZW2007-
    ZW2007- Posts: 812 Critical Contributor
    Options
    bken1234 wrote:
    34 of my 48 Gold matches were against Longshaft.

So glad I'm tiering up this time.

Some would argue this is RNG working correctly and maybe they're right but I don't care. This is proof of why RNG doesn't work for selecting opponents. To be clear, I'm not saying the RNG isn't working correctly; I'm saying true RNG shouldn't be used here. There is no reason you should ever be paired against the same opponent more than once when there is a pool of 500-3000 players for you to compete against. How hard would it be to remove a player from your personal pool of opponents once they have been selected? Would it really put that much extra strain on the servers to store that data?
  • Falizar
    Falizar Posts: 70 Match Maker
    Options
    Msaytar, Marruk, Killwind, and Gakera on mostly all my matches.
  • Corn_Noodles
    Corn_Noodles Posts: 477 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    It would be nice if you were only playing people that were within a certain points % of where you are at for each battle. Win more, play more winners. It is very rare that I ever play someone towards the top of my bracket if I am near the top.
  • Shibata
    Shibata Posts: 28 Just Dropped In
    Options
    octal9 wrote:

I would like to add Moorepwnage, Springsteen, Ni6htmare, Lagoruthon, and the occasional Gunbunny just to make me want to spike my phone. I'm only a few matches in this time around, but I've already faced some guy named UKYO2769 4 times, and he doesn't have anything close to resembling event decks.
  • Centur3xo
    Options
    octal9 wrote:

I'd suspect you have a screen recording on my phone, as these are my most frequent opponents. Also, Kiora1 decks are rarely event based - looks like Quick Battle decks with most powerful mythic paid creatures. Same as with free packs - the random in this game is not truly random but a small set of values and you're getting the same again and again and again. It completely defies the statistics.
  • blacklotus
    blacklotus Posts: 589 Critical Contributor
    Options
    It would be nice if you were only playing people that were within a certain points % of where you are at for each battle. Win more, play more winners. It is very rare that I ever play someone towards the top of my bracket if I am near the top.

I agree this should be the way the pairing should work. you should battle the group of people within +/-1 game worth of ribbons where you are currently standing.

it's fair if you are at the bottom, you should battle those near the bottom of the table. likewise if you are topping the pool.
  • Ohboy
    Ohboy Posts: 1,766 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    blacklotus wrote:

I agree this should be the way the pairing should work. you should battle the group of people within +/-1 game worth of ribbons where you are currently standing.

it's fair if you are at the bottom, you should battle those near the bottom of the table. likewise if you are topping the pool.

That's abusable.

I can stay at bottom of rankings on purpose and only clear nodes just in time for walkover matches.

It should just be completely random instead of an obvious preset random small group we get now.
  • Kevinanth
    Options
    I'm in gold and 2/3 of every single set of nodes has been against Longshaft. It's making this event even more boring.
  • Corn_Noodles
    Corn_Noodles Posts: 477 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Shibata wrote:
    and the occasional Gunbunny just to make me want to spike my phone
    If it makes you feel any better, his decks been known to have that effect on people in his coalition as well.