2 Bugs about transform in combat and double strike + trample

Options
afterlife
afterlife Posts: 10
1. Transforming in combat should not remove the creature from combat
Once I have a Lone Rider was enhanced to 3/2 + vigilance during opponent's combat. When Lone Rider blocked, since it's first strike and lifelink, I gained 3 life and it transformed. Then it should take the attacker's normal (non-first strike) damage, however it didn't.

2. Double strike + trample could miss the second hit.
I saw a 6/6 creature with berserker, trample and double strike attacked, the first strike eat the 1/1 defender and trampled 5 damage to the opponent, however the second strike disappeared, missing 6 damage.

BTW, there are some trivial, or weird scenario.
When Goldnight Castigator is on the battlefield, its controller loses double life from combat damage, however the animation still shows original values, like "-2" then life goes down to 20 from 24.

For any story battle asks player to play 3 or less creatures to win the extra reward, it would miss count a creature switching controllers as a new summoned one. If the opponent gains control of my creature and then returns it to me, it counts as +1 to creature played for the player.

Comments

• Ithilglin
    Options
    1 It seems to be a bug though I don't know if it supposed to work that way or not, such for Thing in the Ice.

2 It is supposed to work that way : when a defender dies on first strike, the attacker doesn't deal its second strike, so trample can't trigger either.

Goldnight Castigator and control switching bugs are already known.
  • afterlife
    Options
    Ithilglin wrote:
    2 It is supposed to work that way : when a defender dies on first strike, the attacker doesn't deal its second strike, so trample can't trigger either.

This feels weird since it's opposite to the MTG paper cards game, where Double + Trample is a common combo to push damage.
  • moogus
    moogus Posts: 24
    Options
    Ithilglin wrote:

Where are you getting that it is supposed to work that way? That's not how it works in MtG. Do you have a dev quote from a previous post? It should deal the second strike to the opponent if the creature also has trample.
  • Blorbleflorp
    Blorbleflorp Posts: 47 Just Dropped In
    Options
    moogus wrote:
    Ithilglin wrote:

Where are you getting that it is supposed to work that way? That's not how it works in MtG. Do you have a dev quote from a previous post? It should deal the second strike to the opponent if the creature also has trample.

Double strike and trample DOES work like that in paper mtg. Trample says "deal the REST of its damage to the defending player" which includes the secondary damage from double strike. Ive used this ina. Standard white deck I had a little while back at FNM, and the judges all agreed. You can also probably find it in rulings on cards that have both double strike and trample innately.
  • Norksman
    Options
    The difference between paper and mtgpq is that in paper, creatures are attacking the PW and being blocked by the creature. In mtgpq, creatures with beserk are attacking the creature, so nothing to hit on the second strike. Same with Vigilance/Defender/Reach, they change the target to the creature, instead of the PW.
  • chaosxshi
    Options
    That doesn't work, cause extra damage from a first strike with trample carries to the plains walker, so the full damage from the normal hit should carry through also. Which doesn't matter if it has berserk or not.

I imagine trample plus death touch isn't working as it is supposed to either, haven't had a chance to test to confirm.

How it should work is one damage goes to the creature, which kills it, and the rest carries to the plains walker. If the creature has damage prevention then all the damage ignores the creature and hits the plains walker. Protection from stuff is bad against trample.