Question on ISO Priority/maybe focusing on 5 star(?)

JONofWAR
JONofWAR Posts: 21 Just Dropped In
edited November 2016 in MPQ General Discussion
General Discussion may not be the correct area (just got approved to post yesterday so still amazingly new, be gentle). I did search around the forums but didn't really see anything on this.

Is there a consensus for when to start focusing on 5* and what the approach should be? I have seven 4* championed, I have OML at 4/0/1, Surfer at 0/2/3, Goblin at 2/2/1 and the rest at 4 covers or below. Would I be better served spending my ISO on leveling more 4* (I'll list the ones I already have below) or should I start tossing some at OML and Goblin? Should I crack classic to try and level my weak 5* roster? I'm currently hoarding tokens and CP (using ISO to level the high priority ones when I get covers and/or crash nodes if needed)

Championed 4*:
Hulkbuster
Cyclops
Deadpool
Thor
Ant-Man
Wolverine
Rhulk (not yet championed but he's at 270)

4* I'm dumping ISO into as I get covers:
Jean at 5/1/5
Iceman at 4/3/5
Peggy at 4/2/4

4* fully covered but not championed:
Prof x at 200 (plan on keeping him there, I messed up my non-boosted switch/bwgs by leveling him this high)
Carnage at 180
Invisible woman at 180
Elektra at 175
Kingpin at 175
Star-Lord at 173
Devil Dino at 172 (don't see me pouring anymore ISO into dino, and kinda feel silly I went this high)
Millennial Hulk at 170

I like to level 4 * until they can handle the crash node and I think that's still the way to go but not exactly sure if I should start focusing on 5 * or not. All my 5 * are at 255. Any tips (even if it's "try posting this in a different area") will help out a bunch.

tl;dr:
Where should I toss my ISO?
Should I hoard LT and CP and hit latest legends hard (eventually) to try and cover a couple 5 * or focus on classic to try and cover the 5 * I have now?
At what point should I turn my focus from 4* to 5*?

Thanks!

edit: not sure why I didn't put my 5* roster on here...
OML at 4/0/1
Surfer at 0/2/3
Green Goblin at 2/2/1
Steve Rogers at 2/0/2
Spider-man at 0/2/0
Black Widow at 1/1/0
Jean Grey at 0/1/1
Black Bolt at 0/1/0

Comments

• fmftint
    fmftint Posts: 3,653 Chairperson of the Boards
    None of your 5 star.png are covered enough to warrant any iso investment

Keep leveling your 4 star.png
  • JONofWAR
    fmftint wrote:
    None of your 5 star.png are covered enough to warrant any iso investment

Keep leveling your 4 star.png

Thanks, at what point would a 5 star.png be covered enough to start leveling?
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    JONofWAR wrote:
    Thanks, at what point would a 5 star.png be covered enough to start leveling?

OML you can start after the first yellow gets pulled.

Surfer still needs 10+ to start considering. Goblin might be playable earlier than that but I'm not sure, I haven't begun leveling him yet to see where he's effective enough.
  • Evilgenius_9
    Evilgenius_9 Posts: 132 Tile Toppler
    It doesn't hurt to put iso into a 5* up to 270, since your 4* champs are driving any mmr / scaling. Of course, I am lucky enough to be right about where you are with 4*'s (a little behind) and have a 3/2/3 OML.
  • Quibbles
    Quibbles Posts: 44 Just Dropped In
    My thoughts:
    1. For 5*, don't put any ISO into them until you are ready for your MMR to increase. You're not ready until you want to *face* the same characters at a higher level in PVP, with more covers. I'd highly recommend hoarding as much as possible so that you're ready to champion characters straight away. I tried the raising everyone equally bit for a while, and it worked for 3* and some 4*, but you've already lost that option with champed 4* characters on your roster. So if you're patient, hoard a while.
    2. Of your fully covered folks, Cho Hulk and Starlord are the best to champion, since they're still sometimes useful once you get to 5* land. Starlord is also very useful in PVE goon rounds.
    3. For your legendary draws, hoard and hoard and hoard. Based on the way the game is going, you'll need to blow all your current legends at once to champ a 5* until they fix the mechanics. The classics are just too diluted--1.9% for a given character means 0.6% for a given cover of that character.
    4. Unfortunately for many non-5* players, the devs have seen fit to implement a "too late for you" approach. If you whaled on Surfer when all draws were 10% for him, and then whaled on OML when all draws were 5% for him and then kept doing it, you have no wasted 5* covers. For the rest of us who waited until later to whale, if the goal is just to get a mediocre 5*, old legends is fine, but if you want to push into the 5* meta, you should save up several thousand CP and blow it all on a single-character vault like Strange or save up even more to try to get 3 at once that you can champ. But be aware that you're looking at several thousand dollars investment to do that, and even that assumes you're in a buy room. Otherwise, it's nigh on impossible to make the leap without tremendous luck.
    5. 5* characters are beasts, and sitting in 4* land they look like they'll solve all your problems. But the game is all about mutually assured destruction: you have a level 451 OML? Great, I'm going to crush it with my level 479 Banner. Unfortunately, TMoney's level 485 Goblin is going to crush me. I wish I could say it'll get better. It won't. There's a lot more roster diversity where you are. Up here it's mostly OML/Phoenix teams as far as the eye can see.
  • Hendross
    Hendross Posts: 762 Critical Contributor
    ^^ Excellent thoughts.

I raised my 5s high enough to play with in PvE, but not enough to affect my MMR. I remain firmly in 4star MMR where I have 20 champed and 2 buffed per week.
  • CT1888
    CT1888 Posts: 1,201 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited November 2016
    I'm going to get my first OML black on Sunday from the daily drop takin him to 1/3/3, at which point I'll look at taking him up to about 370, in line with my boosted 4*s, so I have more options on those weeks when a have one or no champs boosted (though as I'm sitting at 12 at the moment, that's going to become less frequent. And I can get covers 13 and 14 for Thing shortly, so iso will go there first)
  • SummerGlau
    SummerGlau Posts: 1,027 Chairperson of the Boards
    your 5 star are really only useful as bullet sponges in pve nodes where you can't think of a third character
    OML with no yellow...lame
  • JONofWAR
    your 5 star are really only useful as bullet sponges in pve nodes where you can't think of a third character
    OML with no yellow...lame

Yeah, if I had his yellow I probably would've already leveled him lol