Uhh... Lucky me?

TobiBlackmore
TobiBlackmore Posts: 52
edited November 2016 in MPQ General Discussion
This happened a while ago:
ezimba19114854135800.png

All three happened right after each other.

Anyone else had a recruit streak like this?

Comments

• broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    Back when I was opening ETs that seemed to happen a lot, enough to make me feel they weren't as random as other tokens. However, I haven't opened one of those in a while, hoarding. When I open 100 in a row after I stop hoarding I intend to look and see if and how many streaks there end up being.
  • pheregas
    pheregas Posts: 1,721 Chairperson of the Boards
    My claim to fame is pulling three back to back Thing Green covers. That was back when he was x/x/5 and before champing. Was so annoyed.
  • gravel
    gravel Posts: 585 Critical Contributor
    I had 7 of 8 purple Moonstones as match rewards at one point in a Lightning Round. With champ levels, it's awesome!
  • Jarvind
    Jarvind Posts: 1,684 Chairperson of the Boards
    About a month ago I got eleven Rocket & Groot covers within a 2-day period. Not the same color but still pretty weird.
  • Xzasxz
    Xzasxz Posts: 124 Tile Toppler
    Happens so often that got used to it.
  • AlphaNik
    AlphaNik Posts: 45 Just Dropped In
    Seems like RNG it's not so random after all. Should we change it's name to, I don't know, NSRNG?
  • dsds
    dsds Posts: 526
    Yup we all get those sticky covers. Been noticing more and more. You can almost predict the pattern from RNG cascades and pulling covers.
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,758 Chairperson of the Boards
    Here is a link to my roster. I will trade you my 4 4* for your ISO!! I would even throw in 1k HP for a roster slot if needed!!!

https://imgur.com/gallery/Alpfb
  • Punisher5784
    Punisher5784 Posts: 3,845 Chairperson of the Boards
    wymtime wrote:
    Here is a link to my roster. I will trade you my 4 4* for your ISO!! I would even throw in 1k HP for a roster slot if needed!!!

https://imgur.com/gallery/Alpfb

He needs his Iso to champ Mystique!
  • smkspy
    smkspy Posts: 2,024 Chairperson of the Boards
    Also notice getting required characters before or after an event their event happens or double dips on deadpool days.
  • turbomoose
    turbomoose Posts: 786 Critical Contributor
    Got 4 x lady Thor yellow and blue from LT one after another

Was very annoying as I need red as I already have five of those two colours

Ended up having to sell all of them in the end
  • mpqr7
    mpqr7 Posts: 2,642 Chairperson of the Boards
    I once won a whole bunch of Carnages in a row. And he became one of my earliest champed 4*s!

And then, he obliterated my whole team, and now I don't have anyone left icon_e_biggrin.gif
  • kobu
    kobu Posts: 165 Tile Toppler
    pheregas wrote:
    My claim to fame is pulling three back to back Thing Green covers. That was back when he was x/x/5 and before champing. Was so annoyed.

That's far worse than me, but I did pull three of his yellow covers in a row. In my third week of playing or so.
  • I'm just over 200 days into the game so I suppose this will be more recurring once I get more into the game.

I myself did notice that sometimes I would just get no covers I need ever and other times I would be levelling up my characters like crazy. But still, these 3 in a row right after each other and all the same color seemed so out of place.

The RNG might be NSRNG though, I agree. Once is chance, twice is coincidence, third time is a pattern.
  • carrion_pigeons
    carrion_pigeons Posts: 942 Critical Contributor
    If stuff happens that looks non-random, but you can't predict them because the pattern is too unpredictable, is it still non-random?

Answer: no.
  • an1979
    an1979 Posts: 463 Mover and Shaker
    That's because it in not truly random.
    It is "seed" based pseudo-random algorithm - easy to implement, low cost (no need for servers to have extra hardware with random number generators).

It also generates "streaks" - better from bean counters viewpoint.
    You will get 10 in a row of the same cover, someone else will get 10 of another.
    5 wasted here, 5 wasted there = spideycoin.png

If I were to made my own game it would be the RNG scheme I would also use - 'cause I like easy MONEY. icon_lol.gif

Last "pattern" for me: 7 greentile.png 2* Wolverines. 0/0 Red/Yellow

https://xkcd.com/221/
    random_number.png
  • firethorne
    firethorne Posts: 1,505 Chairperson of the Boards
    "Yeah, ain't it grand?" he said sarcastically, looking at his Latest Legends draws for the week.

Screenshot_20161111_064506.png
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    AlphaNik wrote:
    Seems like RNG it's not so random after all. Should we change it's name to, I don't know, NSRNG?

Nope, this is what random number sets look like.
  • GrimSkald
    GrimSkald Posts: 2,580 Chairperson of the Boards
    an1979 wrote:
    That's because it in not truly random.
    It is "seed" based pseudo-random algorithm - easy to implement, low cost (no need for servers to have extra hardware with random number generators).

It also generates "streaks" - better from bean counters viewpoint.
    You will get 10 in a row of the same cover, someone else will get 10 of another.
    5 wasted here, 5 wasted there = spideycoin.png

If I were to made my own game it would be the RNG scheme I would also use - 'cause I like easy MONEY. icon_lol.gif

Last "pattern" for me: 7 greentile.png 2* Wolverines. 0/0 Red/Yellow

https://xkcd.com/221/
    random_number.png

Yeah, this. Computers aren't actually good at generating truly random numbers - it takes a lot of extra effort so pretty much nobody does it.

That, coupled with the fact when these things happen, you notice it (and when they don't, you don't,) makes it seem incredibly not-random. It is, in fact, streaky, but probably less than you think it is.
  • I got 7 2* magneto covers from 7 matches in LR. Every cover were red. Best steak ever