What do you get out of your pvp alliance?

MaxxPowerz
MaxxPowerz Posts: 276 Mover and Shaker
edited November 2016 in MPQ General Discussion
Recently ended my membership with my first PVP alliance after being mostly a PVE player, and if I must say Im a little perplexed. I'm greatful for being given the opportunity, and they are a fine bunch of people on the cusp of scratching the top 100, but it doesn't really seem like a worthwhile proposition.

All that grinding and shielding for a legendary token at the end of the season? I still play PVP for the 10cp, but I find PVE and PVE alliance rewards to be far better. More iso in general, an extra vault token a day and more covers. No wasting CP on shields. Etc. Etc.

I get that PVE can be a repetitive grind, and it doesn't have the thrill of competing against other players teams, but those teams are usually compromised of the same 4-5 characters you must fight over and over to reach.less than stellar rewards. I feel like I am better served in this game focusing on PVE with the occasional PVP in order to reach my 10 pack. For the record I average 7500 pts a season.

Comments

• GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    From my personal experience, the best part of focusing on PvP versus PvE is the time commitment. (for the record, my season averages are about 15-16k in the new world, 18-20k before they murdered bakeries)

For me, PvP in some cases takes an hour or so, 3 days a week. PvE obviously takes significantly longer on a daily basis to be competitive. Leads to way less burnout when trying to balance this with real life commitments.

The MMR is a pest and sure PvP gets arguably as monotonous as PvE, but when you can break it up, it's not bad. Plus there's the offseason, where the events really don't count for much of anything other than personal gain.

We still get T250 alliance rewards for PvE so it's not like we're missing a ton. The 3* cover lost from a 3/4/7 day PvE is easily made up through the PvP rewards.
  • cyineedsn
    cyineedsn Posts: 361 Mover and Shaker
    MaxxPowerz wrote:
    Recently ended my membership with my first PVP alliance after being mostly a PVE player, and if I must say Im a little perplexed. I'm greatful for being given the opportunity, and they are a fine bunch of people on the cusp of scratching the top 100, but it doesn't really seem like a worthwhile proposition.

All that grinding and shielding for a legendary token at the end of the season? I still play PVP for the 10cp, but I find PVE and PVE alliance rewards to be far better. More iso in general, an extra vault token a day and more covers. No wasting CP on shields. Etc. Etc.

I get that PVE can be a repetitive grind, and it doesn't have the thrill of competing against other players teams, but those teams are usually compromised of the same 4-5 characters you must fight over and over to reach.less than stellar rewards. I feel like I am better served in this game focusing on PVE with the occasional PVP in order to reach my 10 pack. For the record I average 7500 pts a season.

I get what you are saying here, buuuuut! If you are playing PVP up to 900-1200 instead of 575, you can think of it as playing for three 4* covers and up to 75 CP a week. And if you are in a top 100 alliance add another 300hp and three 3* covers to that.
  • MaxxPowerz
    MaxxPowerz Posts: 276 Mover and Shaker
    I agree that PVP rewards can be lucrative for those able to compete for the higher ranks, but let's be honest, that is only a small percentile of the playerbase. And how much of that hp is returned straight back to the game in the form of Shielding?

I do think there is still some work to be done improving PVP rewards. How does one sustain their iso needs playing PVP alone?
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    MaxxPowerz wrote:
    I do think there is still some work to be done improving PVP rewards. How does one sustain their iso needs playing PVP alone?

You don't. PvP isn't very lucrative for iso, but it's well more lucrative for covers. PvE is the opposite, though with CL ranks they are trying to bridge those gaps some.

Ideally you play both, but if you're not going to, then where to focus is based on where your roster development needs are.
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    no overbearing time commitment is what we get. the pvp stuff required takes far less time than pve. whatever pve you play usually leads to merc'ing or merging, which happens anyway most of the time. but...if you need a day or two off or even an entire event off, you can bracket snipe or skip without any alliance recourse other than missing out on some resources. I've thought about hybrids and I take too many weekends off to where that probably wouldn't work. I like the freedom to not 'have' to pve.
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,758 Chairperson of the Boards
    MaxxPowerz wrote:
    I agree that PVP rewards can be lucrative for those able to compete for the higher ranks, but let's be honest, that is only a small percentile of the playerbase. And how much of that hp is returned straight back to the game in the form of Shielding?

For higher end PVP HP is really not a problem. Yes 2-3 shields can be very HP neutral but if you have a 2* farm you can earn a ton of HP and if you lightly play PVE for progression and a little ISO you can easily come out HP positive. PVP players who can score over 900 points consistently move much faster into the 4* tier. Those who can get to 1200 can cover 4* extremly quickly.
    With PVP rewards for 1200 plus you are generally winning 3 3* covers for champion rewards plus 25CP plus a specific 4* cover. In PVE you have to play a lot more to earn the same amount of 3* or to try and get the 4* in PVE for top 10.
    Also Competitive PVE can really lead to burnout as most PVP alliances don't worry about off-season events and players can take a mini break to stay fresh.
  • Mr_Sinister
    Mr_Sinister Posts: 356 Mover and Shaker
    PvP alliances talk more. The enjoy the social aspect, it makes the game interesting. The rewards for the commitment are better. I just hit 700 about an hour ago in switch PvP going 0-700 on lunch. I can't get through 4* required node in 30 min in PvE. I can't stand the PvE time requirement and grind. PvE is 3-7 days and it gets old a few nodes into into sub 1. PvP changes every few days.
  • SummerGlau
    SummerGlau Posts: 1,027 Chairperson of the Boards
    I mostly play PVE because I just randomly joined a public alliance

I used to play PVP a lot, but got tired of Shielding so I sometimes play to the 10 CP, but sometimes only play to get some elite tokens
  • Daiches
    Daiches Posts: 1,252 Chairperson of the Boards
    Friendship most of all. Along with t5 PVP rewards and at least t100 PVE rewards.
  • SangFroid
    SangFroid Posts: 177 Tile Toppler
    -An amazing sense of camaraderie
    -Insightful strategy discussions
    -Many reasons to actually laugh out loud in a day
    -Tons of rewards

So ya, pretty worthwhile
  • Fightmastermpq
    Fightmastermpq Posts: 995 Critical Contributor
    Game breaking Team Ups.
  • mpqr7
    mpqr7 Posts: 2,642 Chairperson of the Boards
    If you regularly score high in pvp, you might as well be in a good one. If not, then no need.