Poll: Emrakul's Corruption 4

Options
Ste
Ste Posts: 24
edited November 2016 in MtGPQ General Discussion
Here we are again doing Emrakul's Corruption. How do we like it now? Just as much the same as before, when it had an approval rating of 26%? Or perhaps more or less? One way to find out!

Personally I could do without it. Super super slow down tech like DWave, Incubator, and Adverse Conditions seems to be permeating the walls of the event like evil tentacles today. I've just finished my 6th game... that's taken me 2 1/2 hours. Still, I'm a slow player, perhaps my experience is atypical?

[edit: to add poll status]
Failed to load the poll.

Comments

• bk1234
    bk1234 Posts: 2,924 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    SSDD 678910
  • jimilinho_
    Options
    2 people are trolls!

Boy oh boy I wonder who they are? I won't ask tho, it's best to mind your P's and Q's in MTG

icon_e_wink.gif
  • BayTamago
    BayTamago Posts: 50 Match Maker
    Options
    The UI change was a mistake and the goals for the secondary ribbons are still obnoxiously high for any deck, but especially one not able to hold it's own if it's designed to be able to hit those ribbons.
  • Steeme
    Steeme Posts: 784 Critical Contributor
    Options
    You do realize you can just zerg for progression rewards, then stop, right?

If your coalition is bringing you down, leave. I'm not in a coalition because I can't meet those demands. The freedom to play the game for personal enjoyment completely trumps all the pain and suffering the rest of you are voluntarily enduring.

When I saw the event pop up, I didn't even think I would make it very far, since I am back working overtime again (work has picked up). However, I have managed to get over 100 points already just zerging some matches while riding the streetcar, walking on the treadmill after doing weights, and walking to work. I don't understand how this could possibly be that difficult.

PS You are likely in a coalition with like-minded individuals, so you likely share the same opinion about the event. Can't you guys agree to sit this one out?
  • Maveric78f
    Options
    What I don't like is the fact that we keep getting mythics from the same pool of 6 cards (amongst which only 2 are playable). Yunnn complained about it 2 weeks ago. Now he must have 3 of each one.
  • Andrea
    Andrea Posts: 31
    Options
    well, good for you if you get mytics: play less and get rares instead!

Personally I would not complain icon_e_wink.gif
  • Maveric78f
    Options
    It is not as easy as you might think. I am comitted by my coalition to gather the most points possible.
  • Ste
    Options
    Steeme wrote:
    You do realize you can just zerg for progression rewards, then stop, right?

If your coalition is bringing you down, leave. I'm not in a coalition because I can't meet those demands. The freedom to play the game for personal enjoyment completely trumps all the pain and suffering the rest of you are voluntarily enduring.

When I saw the event pop up, I didn't even think I would make it very far, since I am back working overtime again (work has picked up). However, I have managed to get over 100 points already just zerging some matches while riding the streetcar, walking on the treadmill after doing weights, and walking to work. I don't understand how this could possibly be that difficult.

PS You are likely in a coalition with like-minded individuals, so you likely share the same opinion about the event. Can't you guys agree to sit this one out?

Hiya! Are the secondary objectives above criticism somehow because you can ignore them? Wouldn't you prefer it if they were fun?
  • jimilinho_
    Options
    Ste wrote:

Hiya! Are the secondary objectives above criticism somehow because you can ignore them? Wouldn't you prefer it if they were fun?

I would love them to actually make the secondary's enjoyable. The support one works fine to be fair however the other 2 are just so stale. Most people don't want to play long drawn out games, bouncing and killing your own stuff.

Also not sure how not playing helps things, seems much more productive to play and give feedback rather than skip it.
  • Feagul
    Feagul Posts: 114
    Options
    An event that has proven to drive the game's top players away isn't what I'd consider ideal.
  • Ste
    Options
    jimilinho_ wrote:
    Ste wrote:

Also not sure how not playing helps things, seems much more productive to play and give feedback rather than skip it.

Actually I've been thinking about this, and I don't see how skipping the secondary objectives helps at all. I mean, this is the 4th Emrakul's Corruption, right? So we're all pretty good at it now. We've all got decks that can stall the game out for 30 minutes til we play our objective cards, and then have to switch tack completely from defensive to offensive mode to actually end the game in a win.

So to make a deck that just wins, and only clears the primary objectives? Child's play! There's no challenge to doing that at all! Why even bother? It seems like I would find THAT course of action rather tedious as well, doesn't it?
  • Steeme
    Options
    Ste wrote:
    jimilinho_ wrote:
    Ste wrote:

Actually I've been thinking about this, and I don't see how skipping the secondary objectives helps at all. I mean, this is the 4th Emrakul's Corruption, right? So we're all pretty good at it now. We've all got decks that can stall the game out for 30 minutes til we play our objective cards, and then have to switch tack completely from defensive to offensive mode to actually end the game in a win.

So to make a deck that just wins, and only clears the primary objectives? Child's play! There's no challenge to doing that at all! Why even bother? It seems like I would find THAT course of action rather tedious as well, doesn't it?

I'll give you some pointers on how to play the event for fun:

1. Design a deck that can fulfill at least one of the objectives.
    2. Don't bother stalling the match to reach objectives. Just win.

There, now you have a compromise. You can still strive for objectives, but you don't rip your hair out dragging the matches out ad nauseum.
  • Tilikum
    Tilikum Posts: 159
    Options
    Hey, I'm not banned anymore so I can vote!

*checks not having fun*

Be careful with this thread
    guys, you may have had a little too much to think...
  • Ste
    Options
    Steeme wrote:
    Ste wrote:
    jimilinho_ wrote:
    Ste wrote:

There, now you have a compromise. You can still strive for objectives, but you don't rip your hair out dragging the matches out ad nauseum.

As my old friend Mike Godwin was telling me the other day, that's exactly how Neville Chamberlain dealt with Hitler before WW2. "Sure, it's a problem if we confront it", he said, "So let's just ignore it and hope it goes away".
  • jackvett
    jackvett Posts: 141 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Steeme wrote:

You're overlooking the fact that a powered deck simply wins too quickly vs event decks. Unless you **** your deck and your strategy to complete the secondary objectives, you will end the game before you can dent those enormous objectives.

I really don't know what you hope to gain from telling people to stop playing events the way they were designed. We aren't happy with the system and we are giving our feedback honestly and openly. I believe that is the point of these forums; when it's good we share praise, and when it falls short we let those responsible know.

Context: I voted no, have ground 7 ribbons out of every game and am sitting pretty in slum-tier gold.
  • jackvett
    Options
    Steeme wrote:

Furthermore: If you're playing against a powered deck (think red where you see olivia + devils + castigator before you wonder where the werewolves are) you stand a VERY GOOD CHANCE OF LOSING just because you're playing the objective game that your opponent doesn't care about.

Now, I'm going to preempt you because I am so sick and tired of being told "that's the point." I'm playing this event because I have no other source of crystals, having exhausted the story (yeah lemme grind QB for 8 hours after i get off work....oh wait my wife + kids will leave). The very least that the devs could have done for players like me is ensure that, while we grind an uphill battle against objectives that punish us for winning, we at least DONT HAVE TO PLAY NON-EVENT DECKS.

But no. How many times have you wiped a few creatures from your side of the board trying to stall for objectives, and gotten hit the next turn with an Olivia-induced HP swing of 40-60 points? Can you imagine how bad it feels to lose to someone who might as well be playing QB with their deck?

Please come back and tell me directly why I should enjoy my punishment for playing this event. Obviously, I downloaded the game and decided not to spend money beyond an early, erroneous purchase. Does that make it ok to subject me to poorly-designed, poorly-rewarded, and poorly-managed events?

@David please for the love of god i am trying to brainstorm with people who are passionate about your game. You coming in and shutting this thread for "trolling" because it's negative feedback is not okay. We have kept the language clean and the flaming to a respectful minimum. Please leave us alone.
  • Corn_Noodles
    Corn_Noodles Posts: 477 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    jackvett wrote:
    Furthermore: If you're playing against a powered deck (think red where you see olivia + devils + castigator before you wonder where the werewolves are) you stand a VERY GOOD CHANCE OF LOSING just because you're playing the objective game that your opponent doesn't care about.
    My #1 complaint about PVP events right now is the fact that non-event decks are part of the opponent pool. Non-event planewalkers bother me as well, but those would for the most part be eliminated if there was some way to ensure your opponents were using event decks.
  • Steeme
    Options
    jackvett wrote:
    I really don't know what you hope to gain from telling people to stop playing events the way they were designed. We aren't happy with the system and we are giving our feedback honestly and openly. I believe that is the point of these forums; when it's good we share praise, and when it falls short we let those responsible know.

Take it easy bro. I'm not telling you how to play. I'm just stating the fact that perhaps you guys hate the event based on how you've chosen to play, and I'm offering a different perspective.
    jackvett wrote:
    Now, I'm going to preempt you because I am so sick and tired of being told "that's the point." I'm playing this event because I have no other source of crystals, having exhausted the story (yeah lemme grind QB for 8 hours after i get off work....oh wait my wife + kids will leave). The very least that the devs could have done for players like me is ensure that, while we grind an uphill battle against objectives that punish us for winning, we at least DONT HAVE TO PLAY NON-EVENT DECKS.

This is a known issue that they need to address. But it's not specific to Emrakul's Corruption.
  • jackvett
    Options
    Steeme wrote:
    Take it easy bro. I'm not telling you how to play.
    I'll give you some pointers on how to play the event for fun

it's like i have to do all the remembering for you bro

e: sooooo considering how 95% of rewards for non-qb-lifers come from events, are you telling those of us who are unhappy with Emmy's birthday party to just quit the game? because we can't get crystals reliably from anywhere else, beyond the 300 we patiently wait for each month. So you're saying not playing is the best way to reduce unhappiness with the game? I might even be able to agree with that if you'd stop trying to be cool and just say it plainly.

double e: i challenged you to explain to me why i should acquiesce to the suffering that is this event. you didn't respond, because the cognitive dissonance was too great? you realized your own foot couldn't take any more shots? really looking to have a conversation but you've crossed your arms and told me i wasn't invited to your birthday party.
  • glggwp
    glggwp Posts: 202 Tile Toppler
    Options
    jackvett wrote:
    Steeme wrote:
    Take it easy bro. I'm not telling you how to play.
    I'll give you some pointers on how to play the event for fun

it's like i have to do all the remembering for you bro

e: sooooo considering how 95% of rewards for non-qb-lifers come from events, are you telling those of us who are unhappy with Emmy's birthday party to just quit the game? because we can't get crystals reliably from anywhere else, beyond the 300 we patiently wait for each month. So you're saying not playing is the best way to reduce unhappiness with the game? I might even be able to agree with that if you'd stop trying to be cool and just say it plainly.

double e: i challenged you to explain to me why i should acquiesce to the suffering that is this event. you didn't respond, because the cognitive dissonance was too great? you realized your own foot couldn't take any more shots? really looking to have a conversation but you've crossed your arms and told me i wasn't invited to your birthday party.
    frankly, quitting the game may be good for all of us...
This discussion has been closed.