Poll for Steam Users

Dartmaster01
Dartmaster01 Posts: 634 Critical Contributor
edited November 2016 in MPQ General Discussion
I'm awfully disturbed by how much extra rewards mobile is getting compared to steam users. So I decided to make this poll. It's not about which platform is better or any other advantages or disadvantages or whether or not steam can have ads or not. It's about giving one sub-set of players a huge advantage over others by not making the same resources available to all.
Failed to load the poll.

Comments

• Dartmaster01
    I chose strictly F2P, but if it does not get addressed then I will most likely quit in a few months.
  • rixmith
    rixmith Posts: 707 Critical Contributor
    I don't think that someone getting some rewards by playing on mobile really affects me. There will always be people with better rosters than me, and people with worse rosters. People who play more, and people who play less. I get a nice big screen and easy to use interface while mobile users get a smaller screen.

Even though scaling and MMR are far from perfect, they do make giving some player tiny bonuses pretty inconsequential, in my opinion. I'm mostly competing with myself to see how I can improve my roster and have fun trying out new characters and teams.

And besides, I wouldn't want to spend my time watching the ads anyway.
  • JamieMadrox
    JamieMadrox Posts: 1,798 Chairperson of the Boards
    I don't think you understand that they can't address this. The Steam API does not allow them to share rewards the same way as they can on mobile. It has always been this way and always will be.

To be honest, you're not missing out on that much.
  • Warbringa
    Warbringa Posts: 1,299 Chairperson of the Boards
    I don't think you understand that they can't address this. The Steam API does not allow them to share rewards the same way as they can on mobile. It has always been this way and always will be.

I don't think you understand though Jamie that they could do something to help offset this loss. It wouldn't be hard for them to offer something exclusively to Steam users to counteract this whether it is small monthly bonus or the ability to purchase a special Steam package etc. It is obvious that they can program such things differently (as it is required) between Steam and mobile. The issue here is that they aren't trying and any time you do that to a potential customer, that customer notices and will probably eventually leave. I voted that I wouldn't be doing VIP and may spend occasionally but as of right now, that will probably be 4 or 5 months from now if I am still playing, since I have a decent amount of hero points for rosters and 2* farm spots that I can utilize.

Plus the rewards are significant in that you can possibly receive up to the following 20x per day (I understand most players won't receive these rewards 20x per day but let's say 5x per day is more realistic...that is still a lot of potential):

"It is possible to receive the following bonus rewards from S.H.I.E.L.D. Signal Intercepts; 1 Command Point, 100 Hero Points, 2,000 Iso-8, 1 Heroic Token, 25 Hero Points, 1,000 Iso-8, or 10 Hero Points"

If I could receive let's just say an additional 1000 iso and 50 HP per day, that would be a significant increase for me. Let's say I could get another 500 to 1000 iso if facebook sharing was allowed that is a big increase for me as well. The awards are potentially significant and I disagree with the idea a certain aspect of the player base isn't missing something.
  • veny
    veny Posts: 834 Critical Contributor
    Poll is limited so here is my statement:

I dont buy ISO/HP - costs are extremely outdated. Amount of ISO/HP gained from free features is still rising thanks to championing system, SHIELD levels, clearance levels etc. Amount of ISO/HP per $/€ spent is constant.

Second - VIP is nice, but as long as it costs 10$ or 10€... sorry wont pay additional funds just because of place where i live.

Third - yes, I dont like the fact that mobile players get more resources. As long as i have to play against them in PvP.

So yeah, improve daily rewards and VIP rewards for steam players and i will be fine.
  • Mortalo
    Mortalo Posts: 35 Just Dropped In
    That was the 1st time I was excited that I will be able to watch ads. It didn't lasted long.

But I believe in people and still hope for free hp icon_e_biggrin.gif
  • Mechahamster
    Mechahamster Posts: 237 Tile Toppler

Let them figure out something else then.

Former spender going f2p checking in.
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    "It's not a big deal, I will keep the same spending habits" is probably the closest, but my personal opinion is "that's annoying, but if I need to spend to advance my personal goals, I'm going to."

I went heavy (for me) during anniversary so I'm loaded up pretty well now, so doubtful I'd spend for a while now anyway.

Seeing people report playing 3-4 hours and only getting ~6 rewards is comforting though. 1000/50 for me isn't that big a deal at this stage.
  • Dartmaster01

I do understand that they can not link FB or possibly even do ads, that's why I said this thread is not about those things. By "address" I mean simply acknowledge the fact that they are creating an unfair situation for paying customers in a competitive game (not that FB sharing hadn't already done this). But this latest feature just compounds the problem. I know it won't get leveled out immediately but maybe a "Hey, we haven't forgot about you guys and we're looking into some stuff that might help." would be nice. And just me going F2P is going to be losing them more than drop in the bucket (I wont say how much but it is significant), and I'm just one person. If they lose others players that spend like I do, then they will see it on their bottom line. But at this point, I'm just not willing to pay for something they give most others for free. That's called just being a "sucka" and I'm not one. How does the saying go- A fool and their money are easily parted.
  • Berserk_Al
    Berserk_Al Posts: 411 Mover and Shaker
    I have no credit card or any other way to turn my money digital, so I rarely have the chance to load my steam wallet. For the price of resources in this one single game, I can get full games during the steam sales.
    EDIT: What I mean is, I am free to play.
  • zulux21
    zulux21 Posts: 249 Tile Toppler

directly do the same thing... no. but if VIPs aren't required to watch videos there isn't any reason they couldn't implement that the bonuses just show up for VIP members on steam.

anyways I picked the likely quit option, but it's really keep talking to customer service until they allow me to transfer over to mobile option for me.
  • Smudge
    Smudge Posts: 562 Critical Contributor
    I'm a mobile player, so I don't qualify for the poll and didn't vote, but Jamie, this is one of the few posts of yours that I've read and disagreed with (not regarding the API, I understand how that works as I have a rudimentary MPQ account on Steam among other games).

My DPvMPQ clears plus DDQ last night gained me somewhere between 50-100 HP (didn't track it) and 5,000 ISO (3 x 1k, 1 x 2k). That's 35,000 ISO a week if the rate is sustainable; it's hardly chump change. Even if it's above average, half of that still nets 17,500 over the course of a week, or 70,000 for the equivalent length of a VIP subscription, which is enough to champ 1/5 of a 4* or an entire 2*.

I don't blame you Steam players for being incensed, but I'm not sure what they could do for you guys other than to add a buff to the daily bonus or something similar.
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    Yeah, I'm going to let my VIP lapse. If I'm getting less of a benefit using it than my mobile compatriots then I'm just going to drop it all together.
  • Punisher5784
    Punisher5784 Posts: 3,845 Chairperson of the Boards
    I am a mobile user and I agree it is unfair to Steam users that we earn rewards from both Facebook and SHIELD Ads. Perhaps an alternative method would be to provide the Ads to the Steam users via email. Just like MPQ emails us new character release information, they can send Steam users a few links a day to a video and claim a reward that way. Steam users are on their computer and likely frequently check their email so that might be the best approach. I am sure the devs can figure out a way to satisfy the Steam users in a fair way.
  • theshadeofopal
    theshadeofopal Posts: 93 Match Maker
    I can't say I spend much at this point but this is probably the nail in the coffin. The fact that vip is essentially just a straight up worse deal on pc is kinda pathetic. I think it's worth noting that its not just this though, its facebook sharing and lack of deals. When devs talk about platform specific sales, steam does not really get those. The one time buy iso/hp dlc bundles are good when they go down to 66% off but as someone who's been playing since launch off and on, one time buys aren't that great. Best case scenario would just be to reinstitute and streamline the ability to ability to share an account across steam to mobile. I know it'd be nice to use a phone when I had to but be able to use pc for bulk of play. I wonder how many players from way back still have access to both?
  • cardoor
    cardoor Posts: 185 Tile Toppler
    rixmith wrote:
    Even though scaling and MMR are far from perfect, they do make giving some player tiny bonuses pretty inconsequential, in my opinion.

I play on both platforms and it is a big deal and yes you are missing out by playing on Steam. As others have said, over time it is flat out ridiculous how much of an advantage playing mobile is.

I am now F2P only.

I have spent money in the past so I am going to play for a bit longer, but knowing I will have to work twice as hard as someone on mobile will probably just make me quit eventually. In fact maybe sooner than later.
  • fnedude
    fnedude Posts: 383 Mover and Shaker
    I hate to point out the obvious about STEAM players, ad's probably won't be VIEWED (hence D3 getting money).

What is D3 going to do? Pop up a new window, and then I (as the player) use Windows to just bring MPQ to the front, let the video play in the background, and then bank whatever my "reward" was, for NOT watching the video? Whomever D3 is selling ads to, will probably realize this, computer companies are not that stupid (usually).

On a mobile device, it's much different, I don't think you can switch to which window is in the front like you can on a PC.
  • babinro
    babinro Posts: 771 Critical Contributor
    Voted Free to Play as I'll let my VIP lapse and leave it at that.

If this were something worth quitting over than I'd have quit the moment I learned facebook integrated bonuses didn't apply. I learned to live with that detriment and still support the company but now that they've taking things even further in the wrong direction I just can't support that behavior anymore.

Give Steam players something as an ongoing compensation.

My go to suggestions has been to double the numeric value of all non-cover daily resupply rewards for steam players.

It's a simple solution that provides gradual ongoing rewards that should roughly reflect the gains mobile players are seeing when added up over time. At least in terms of HP and CP...pretty sure we'll still be missing out big time on the ISO side of things. It's not a perfect solution, but it's an easy one to implement.
  • Wolarsen
    Wolarsen Posts: 326 Mover and Shaker
    I understand that it can be difficult to implement the ad viewing on Steam, but there are lots of ways to balance the problem.
    A directperiodical bonus to steam players would be fair regarding progression/competition, but would not achieve the goal of the developer (sell publicity). So in my opinion, the best way to solve this is offering a migration to celular to any Steam player that wishes to do so. D3 gives us covers and currency for holidays and as compensation for bugs/downtime, so we do know is posible to créate a new account and fill it till up to duplicate the old steam roster and currency.
  • Dartmaster01
    Wolarsen wrote:
    I understand that it can be difficult to implement the ad viewing on Steam, but there are lots of ways to balance the problem.
    A directperiodical bonus to steam players would be fair regarding progression/competition, but would not achieve the goal of the developer (sell publicity). So in my opinion, the best way to solve this is offering a migration to celular to any Steam player that wishes to do so. D3 gives us covers and currency for holidays and as compensation for bugs/downtime, so we do know is posible to créate a new account and fill it till up to duplicate the old steam roster and currency.

The only way this would work imo is to make the accounts cross-platform. I personally am not going from playing on a 50" 4k TV to one of the worst 2"x3" screens I ever seen. I play on PC for a reason. If migrating to mobile is all they would offer, I would just quit.

My preferred solution would be for them to add a reasonable estimation of the extra rewards to steam VIP subscription. VIPs on mobile don't have to watch the ads to get the rewards, it's a perk of VIP. So why not give steam VIPs the same perk?