Soon to be ex-steam VIPer

Zappa
Zappa Posts: 102 Tile Toppler
Have been VIP since day 1, have renewed consistently since the rewards are decent and devs deserve some support
Just renewed VIP yesterday
Today I come in to find that the new way of getting incidental rewards is not available to me because I chose to play on Steam
Will not be renewing VIP until they can figure out some way to give everyone fair access to these rewards

Comments

• Mr_Sinister
    Mr_Sinister Posts: 356 Mover and Shaker
    It's really not that big of a deal. It's just a game.
  • DrStrange-616
    DrStrange-616 Posts: 993 Critical Contributor

I'm sorry, but that sort of dismissive response is neither fair nor helpful.

The OP didn't imply the game was more important than a game. They, quite rightly, and calmly, pointed out the inequity of the current situation. Why go out of your way to dismiss or diminish their rightful concern?
  • Tromb2ch2
    Tromb2ch2 Posts: 301 Mover and Shaker
    I play on an Android device and am pleased with this feature but I fully think there should be some way to handle this for steam. Or if they just did like hey you are VIP on steam? Here have the rewards thank you.
  • Pylgrim
    Pylgrim Posts: 2,328 Chairperson of the Boards
    I imagine something could be done for VIPs, but unfortunately not for non-VIPs since as far as I know, there's simply no way of displaying ads in a Steam game. The problem is that if these new rewards are only accessible for VIPs, those who are not will get the feeling of being punished for it, even if they do some ocassional purchases. To them, the strategy will have the displeasing stench of being a P2W model.

With things being like that I could see how they could just shrug and do nothing instead. Steam players should already know that their choice of platform is costing them dearly. There are several technical limitations for the developers and it's likely that spending tons of precious time and effort in trying to get a workaround is simply not profitable, given the comparatively smaller user base.
  • smkspy
    smkspy Posts: 2,024 Chairperson of the Boards
    Easy fix, just make all these rewards added to VIP. Not having to see ads would then become a major incentive to enroll in VIP.

I'm on android and will not renew this month. The two months have shown me no real reason to give my support to this on a monthly basis for a pittance.
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    Huh...saw a new feature, thought it might be rolling into Shield Rank and Clearance Levels and such...turns out it's ads. And as a Steam user I don't even get the benefit.

So yeah, going to join the TC on this one. VIPwas due for renewal in a few days. Guess what's not gonna happen?
  • morph3us
    morph3us Posts: 859 Critical Contributor

The problem is that it's a competitive game. There's basically no non-competitive mode, so I think people have a legitimate grievance when part of the playerbase gets access to additional resources compared to another part.
  • babinro
    babinro Posts: 771 Critical Contributor
    I recognize that this is a fruitless gesture but I'll be joining the OP in voting with my wallet when my VIP expires.
    I've already had to deal with missing out on years worth of daily facebook integration rewards and now I'm expected to miss out on another steady daily flow of HP, ISO and CP?

If you can't implement these things on Steam then why not compensate us another way?
    Increase the daily log in rewards for steam users only. Whenever we'd gain 25 CP as a daily make it 50 CP.
  • Gari
    Gari Posts: 92 Match Maker
    another guy posted that there were only about 500 steam players. so yes all of you could vote with your wallet. it wont matter one bit
  • ThatOneGuyjp189512
    ThatOneGuyjp189512 Posts: 543 Critical Contributor
    like even if there was some sort of steam friends reward sharing i'd be happy with cause it'd be something available only to steam users, we're really not asking for much, just some sort of reward/sharing equal to whats on mobile.
  • My personal fix of this would be to reallow account linking. Only reason I knew about the game was because a friend on steam was playing it, I tried it, shortly after I became addicted.

Now I am being punished because I didn't find it on my phone first. I know of some other steam games that allow linking to facebook, so why can't we just do that and then it is a pseudo fix for everyone as we can run the game through either platform. Only people on steam unable to play then would be those without smart phones and I can't imagine that's a long number. I've spent a lot on this game, and bow I'm going to be missing out on even more bonuses because of platform choice. I'm salty beyond all belief, but sadly I can't stop playing because of the investment I have in it, so hopefully someone sees that account linking is all we need.
  • DrDevilDinosaur
    DrDevilDinosaur Posts: 436 Mover and Shaker
    Move dissenting voices out of general. Nice.
  • Gari wrote:
    another guy posted that there were only about 500 steam players. so yes all of you could vote with your wallet. it wont matter one bit

Steam charts show amount of ppl logged at the same time daily. It`s probably lot more than that but still lot less than on moblie. At this point just let me link my account to FB and leave steam version if you won't support it equally.
  • Punisher5784
    Punisher5784 Posts: 3,845 Chairperson of the Boards
    Maybe they can provide the Ads to the Steam users via email. Just like MPQ emails us new releases, they can send Steam users a few links a day to a video and claim a reward that way. Steam users are on their computer and likely frequently check their email so that might be the best approach.

I agree it isn't fair because unlike the small FB gifts, these SHIELD Intercept are very good. I earned 2 heroic tokens, 2000 Iso and 300 HP.. now I don't have to do lightning rounds. I hope Steam users get something similar.
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    Pylgrim wrote:
    I imagine something could be done for VIPs, but unfortunately not for non-VIPs since as far as I know, there's simply no way of displaying ads in a Steam game. The problem is that if these new rewards are only accessible for VIPs, those who are not will get the feeling of being punished for it, even if they do some ocassional purchases. To them, the strategy will have the displeasing stench of being a P2W model.

With things being like that I could see how they could just shrug and do nothing instead. Steam players should already know that their choice of platform is costing them dearly. There are several technical limitations for the developers and it's likely that spending tons of precious time and effort in trying to get a workaround is simply not profitable, given the comparatively smaller user base.

This is pretty much the case.

http://www.cinemablend.com/games/Valve- ... 93047.html

Also while I understand why the OP feels the way (s)he does, I don't think their solution will get their desired outcome. There's not an easy solution to this problem for the developers. If they see a massive drop in VIP and other sales from steam and people getting more frustrated by it, the obvious solution from their standpoint would be to end steam support all together and focus on the avenues that bring them revenue streams.
  • Mechahamster
    Mechahamster Posts: 237 Tile Toppler
    Me and my lady will also stop spending money on your game as long as this inequity exists.
  • Mr_Sinister
    Mr_Sinister Posts: 356 Mover and Shaker
    morph3us wrote:

The problem is that it's a competitive game. There's basically no non-competitive mode, so I think people have a legitimate grievance when part of the playerbase gets access to additional resources compared to another part.

But to take a position of cutting off your nose to spite your face isn't going to accomplish anything.

He's not going to renew VIP, which give him rewards, granted they get money, because he doesn't get "incidental" rewards. Meanwhile he's going to continue playing at an even BIGGER disadvantage.
  • MrCrowley
    MrCrowley Posts: 81 Match Maker
    Giving the rewards for VIP only on steam would be the easiest solution by far.

Giving a chance for Steam users to migrate to mobile would be an excellent thing also. It definitely would get my continued support for the game in terms of VIP and the occasional ISO purchase. I would even pay a transfer charge gladly if I could move my account from Steam to iPad, even if that means I could not play the game on Steam anymore.