Not a fan of sub/main scoring in Strange Sights

Pogo
Pogo Posts: 185 Tile Toppler
As several other people have noted in the event thread, it's very frustrating to see such a disparity in sub rankings and overall rankings (even if the actual scores can be observed). You feel like you're doing well (especially if you're getting your 4+ clears per node), but then you get the slap in the face.

I managed to reach top 10 and finish top 20 on all 3 subs (and I had all three mandatories), but I had to grind tooth and nail at the end to squeeze out 50th place overall (I edged out the next person by 40 points, and I was just a bit shy of final progression).

The choose-your-path construct is conceptually interesting, but what is the point? Was day 2 affected depending on which artifact you recovered on day 1? I didn't get that impression. The boss showdown was the same every day; there was no climax. The only thing that seemed to happen as a result of the choose-your-path format is the convoluted scoring.

Why not score the same group of players each sub-day regardless of which door they chose? If the point totals are the same in each setting and the required nodes demand the same characters, is there any practical reason to score separately?

I don't think I fully understand how the scores were calculated, and it's particularly frustrating because it seems like it was an unnecessary complication.

Comments

• To me, it seemed like it was literally just a 3 day story with the picking which sub on which day. Allows you to set the easy points up late (which was the hand for me) and take the hardest sub first in case you miss clears. Then points increased daily as with normal events. I guess it allowed for a little more counter play than in normal events?

As far as the final boss, I feel it was EXTREMELY flawed. It was worth next to nothing point wise (200? really?) for it's difficulty, not to mention the payout for it, as much as I love CP, downing 2 teams just to beat him is not worth 200 points and 1 CP when I can just grind for more points and get extra CP from better placement as a result. If they made him give tokens on the first 2 days then maybe a randomized strange (3*) cover on the third, it would have been a much better boss fight.

On an unrelated side note the progression was messed up in this just like in EotS, being that at 4/6/6 clears i just barely hit progression, and i just barely was graced with top 20 finish despite grinding everything down to just about nothing.

TL;DR: This event had an amazing concept, but flawed execution IMO.