X-Men???

Options
EleganceFlawed
EleganceFlawed Posts: 112 Tile Toppler
Alliance mate and I were talking yesterday about how few X-Men are in this game... We have what, 4 Hulks and hardly any X-Men?

Sabretooth, Archangel, Nightcrawler, regular Angel, Kitty Pryde, Gambit, Jubilee?

Where's my throwback 90s cartoon crew?

-EF

Comments

• GundamY
    GundamY Posts: 182
    Options
    Well... You have 4 star Cyclops and 2 star Storm and 2 star Wolverine from the OG 90's cartoon, so that's a start

But yeah, I do agree that X-Men don't get much love in either comics or games (considering how the X-Men Apocalypse movie was awful)

Man, I would be even happy if they implement Sentinels as minion nodes
  • EleganceFlawed
    Options
    See? That would be AWESOME.

We could get Age of Apocalypse variants too.
  • GundamY
    Options
    All I could say is that if they decide to add another Wolverine. Spiderman, Hulk, or any overrated characters into the game, I would totally rage quit

But honestly? It all comes down to the developers since they're the ones making bank through the game. And if you look at what happened to Fantastic Four and X-Men... Not looking good for FOX studios (except for Deadpool, he's cool)
  • EleganceFlawed
    Options
    Funko brought out their 90s X-Men pops this month so maybe the retro thing will become a big deal.

I just miss my old school team.
  • GundamY
    Options
    I bet you're humming the X-Men theme song when you made this post: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gL8D3TB-lz8&ab_channel=ULTIMATEbudokai3
  • EleganceFlawed
    Options
    YOU BET YOUR **** I WAS
  • EleganceFlawed
    Options
    It would also help if the few X-Men they did have didn't suck.
  • GundamY
    Options
    I know 4 Star Cyclops, Jean Grey, and Iceman are top 5 in their rarity tiers. If you're talking about mutants like Mohawk Storm, sure, she could have better improvements instead of being a cheap souped up version of her one star counterpart.

Although I must say that I'm surprised they didn't add Onslaught (at least as a boss character), the fusion between Magneto and Professor X would be so much more interesting than what we have so far for new characters...
  • Ezrius
    Ezrius Posts: 150 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I've heard people speculating more than once that it has to do with the Fox movie rights, and the fact that no new X-Men were released to coincide with X-Men Apocalypse kinda makes me worry it's true. Nightcrawler has probably been my favorite Marvel character since I could read comics, so it bums me out he may never be in this game.
  • EleganceFlawed
    Options
    This makes a lot of sense. A little confusing for what X-Men are there, but yeah. I think Nightcrawler would lend himself really well to the game mechanics. I think he'd do well to function kinda like Strange.

It could also just be how much other Marvel properties have eclipsed X-Men in recent years (because the movies/Netflix series have been better.)
  • Aerospade777
    Aerospade777 Posts: 36 Just Dropped In
    Options
    I will say I definitely agree, was they have Colossus and Psylocke, which is a good start to the less popular X-Men (compared to wolverine, cyclops and Jean Grey that is). However you're right, they should have Gambit and Archangel and whatnot. I'd also really like to see some New Mutants or other lesser known X-Men, my preference being Sunspot of course. Also more X-Men Villains is a big one. Apocalypse and Mr. Sinister are big ones, but I'd like some brotherhood members like Toad, Sabretooth, Pyro, and Avalanche most of all. Finally, there's only 2 variants I want to see, like a 4* juggernaut and a 4*/5* Magneto
  • EleganceFlawed
    Options
    Sabretooth is honestly what got me started thinking about this, I'm kinda baffled that he's not in it at all. (and they should make like a 2* Wild Child to get covers for him.)
  • Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I've always thought the X-universe was fairly well represented for an Avengers/SHIELD-centric game.

Beast
    Colossus
    Cyclops (2 versions)
    Daken (2 versions)
    Deadpool (2 versions)
    Iceman
    Jean Grey (2 versions)
    Juggernaut
    Magneto (2 versions)
    Mystique
    Professor X
    Psylocke
    Storm (3 versions)
    Wolverine (4 versions)
    X-23
  • Philly484
    Philly484 Posts: 173 Tile Toppler
    Options
    This has been topic of discussion and the fan base want more X-men in game, but Marvel has stated they will not promote their franchises they have to share their profits with. The most requested X-men are Gambit, Nightcrawler and Emma Frost. Until Marvel and Fox settle their differences which honestly is probably just a money thing, we won't really see X-men well represented in other media forms other than comics until that happens. This is why it's been so long since last X release. Marvel want's to push for their other franchise to put pressure on Fox to let them buy complete rights to characters they partially own.
  • EleganceFlawed
    Options
    That makes a lot of sense, and I'm at least glad to see Nightcrawler is a popular request.

I think a lot of the point (in response to the list of who is in-game) is that we have 4 versions of Wolverine but 0 representation of other characters who would also lend themselves well.

If partial ownership is an issue then it would make sense for it to happen that way. It would be awesome if one day Fox and Disney got their sh together and just cooperated to produce some quality stuff.

It would also be great if Marvel did better (like DC) at marketing to girls, but of course Disney figures they've got princesses why bother making superheroes.
  • Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    It's true that a cold war is being fought between Disney and Fox. The characters licensed to Fox, long before the existence of Marvel Studios or when Marvel was purchased by Disney, are stuck in an ironclad deal that only expires if so many years go by and there isn't a major motion picture in development under Fox. So basically, Fox owns the movie and licensing rights to the Fantastic Four and anyone who is a mutant indefinitely... as long as they keep making movies. Per the licensing deal, Marvel/Disney only gets a very small percentage of profits for anything like action figures involving these movie properties.

Thus, Disney is actively banning any promotion of the characters licensed to Fox. This extends even to the comic books. Marvel was even willing to cancel the Fantastic Four, their first and longest-running monthly book. They'd probably have done the same to all the X-titles if they weren't Marvel's top selling books. In essence, Disney doesn't want these characters to have mass appeal which will lead to continued success of Fox's films, in the hopes that the rights revert back to Disney or that Fox would be willing to renegotiate a deal similar to the one between Marvel Studios and Sony over the use of Spider-Man.

So, while games like MPQ are allowed to use Wolverine, Deadpool, and other popular characters in the interest of promoting the game, you're not going to see a big push of lesser-known mutants and certainly no movie tie-ins like the Avengers/Doc Strange/GoG covers we have now.
  • EleganceFlawed
    Options
    Jeez, that sucks. Now I know why they keep pushing out awful Wolverine movies.
  • therightwaye
    therightwaye Posts: 459 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    My guess is you'll see a bigger push towards more Inhumans.
  • Lokix2000
    Options
    I do not understand why people keep promoting the conspiracy theory about Disney vs Fox. If that was the case we wouldn't be seeing Deadpool EVERYWHERE. Deadpool is a fox owned property but he is everywhere.

Let's face facts. Marvel is pushing all their properties including the X-Men. This game has plenty of X-Men characters and all the Fantastic Four.

The truth is that most x-men characters would be too similar to other characters already in the game. With the possible exception of maybe nightcrawler and Emma frost a lot of the others wouldn't work well. For example:
    Pre 2000 Rogue is capt marvel/ she hulk/ Mystique.
    As for events, Apocalypse himself is pretty weak compared to his horsemen. And his powers wouldn't work well for a main boss character.
    Onslaught would be great with sentinels as a boss character but that would be too similar to ultron and his bots.

This is an Avengers/Shield centric game and has a lot of X-Men to choose from already.
  • Fireemblem
    Options
    Uh I think the Cold War is starting to thaw a little but come on there was no tie in promotion for the xmen movie and I think iceman was the last xmen character we got, like well over a year ago. I reeeallly don't want a 5th venom before one archangel or rogue or nightcrawler or blink or jubilee or dazzler or Rictor or shatterstar or morph or multiple man or forge or M or old iceman 5* or any of a million more characters. Many who work fine for 4* if that's all they want to give us anymore. I think that the new launch of x comics this year is the perfect opportunity for D3 and Disney to show that they're not anti-x. If that doesn't happened Cold War deniers should realize that it's been 'an avengers shield game' BECAUSE of Disney - the two are related. But I guess who cares, they are bottom of the barrel on well known characters not already duped and not xmen, so... unless we are looking at lockjaw this year I hope we can see some x folks come back icon_e_smile.gif