Maxing out Cyclops/Nova with CP

Options
BlackBoltRocks
BlackBoltRocks Posts: 1,160 Chairperson of the Boards
edited November 2016 in MPQ Character Discussion
So, my 4* Cyclops is currently at lv120 5/3/4. Should I save up 120CP to buy that final cover, or would that be better spent on 6 Classic LTs?

Same goes for Nova, who is at lv140 5/2/5.

If it's any use, my other champed 4* are Thorrina, Hulkbuster, Invisible Woman.

I don't have any expiring covers for either Cyclops or Nova, so there's no rush. Just don't think I can take it if i draw dupes for them

Comments

• Phumade
    Phumade Posts: 2,477 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Your concern is valid, but lets be honest. The chance you pull a cylcops or nova out of a token is pretty tiny at best.

Most people in your situation will either get the cover via DDQ or because cyclops is offered as progression or rewards.

With that in mind, I'd wait until I had a cover about to expire before I spend the 120cp to buy the last color.

But your basic premise is sound.
  • VizMantis
    VizMantis Posts: 280 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I'm a firm believer in spending 120 cp (or even 240 cp) to finish off a top tier character. Especially if you're making the 3 to 4* transition and don't have much else to work with. Finishing off a character at the expense of 6 random draws that will likely be dups, weak characters you don't want, and low covered characters (including 5*s) you won't be able to use for a year seems like a good trade to me. This is both in terms of being able to win more resources with the character and just having fun in the game.

That being said, if you're just worried about wasting dup covers, just hold onto the cp and keep drawing until it comes up.
  • Jarvind
    Jarvind Posts: 1,684 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    It's not a bad idea, depending on your current roster. I used 120 CP to finish Nova because he was stuck in a 5/2/5 build.

Right now diving into 5* territory is pretty much a terrible idea unless you're ready to champion three or four of them at once, due to the insane scaling they bring with them. Staving off your progression a tiny bit in order to get a top-notch character (both Nova and Clops qualify) locked and loaded is a sound move.

I do agree, though, that it might make sense to wait until you have a cover expiring for them, on the off chance that you do pull the one you need from a token or get it as a progression reward.
  • Spiritclaw
    Spiritclaw Posts: 397 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Ask yourself this: do I have a use for most 4 star covers I could randomly draw? For me, unusable duplicate covers are unlikely. If you're in a position where you can't use a notable percentage of random four stars, buying makes the most sense. At an early part of the four star transition, I'd rather have six random four stars than one chosen four star. That's without taking into account the possibility of a five star draw.
  • sinnerjfl
    sinnerjfl Posts: 1,260 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    If you have the iso on hand to champion one or the other right away, I'd probably buy that last cover.

If you don't have the iso, wait until you do. That way you might actually get that last cover in the meantime.

Cyclops will also come back up in the rotation as the 900 prog reward in the not so distant future, might want to wait until then.
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    cyke's boost week is right around the corner. I'd do him in a heartbeat and wreck house next week with him. especially since your mmr is still lower. not a great second to pair him with but could still run SL just to try. moving his blue to 6 and red to 8 and yellow to 3 would make him really powerful if played right.
  • Wintersmith
    Wintersmith Posts: 76 Match Maker
    Options
    I have bought the 13th cover for 4 4*characters thus far. Never regretted it afterwards. Cyclops, XFDP, Thoress and RHulk. 1st one was hard, but I needed 13th cover and champ, so extra covers wouldn't expire. If you have the willpower to hold onto the cp for awhile, it'll pay off later.
    I know I felt relief.
  • Crowl
    Crowl Posts: 1,579 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I just did this with nova as I had two of his covers in my queue due to the progression being the wrong colour for my previously 2/5/5 character.

My reasoning is that I can't just moan about the evils of the rng if I can counter it with 6x LT worth of CP even if it is idiotic that 4* and 5* are not yet colourless covers.
  • udonomefoo
    udonomefoo Posts: 1,630 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    The next cycle of pvp 900point rewards won't help you as you already have those colors maxed on both. You'd be looking at possibly a month and a half to get a guaranteed color of either that will help you. With cyc boosted next week and nova looking like he will be boosted in about a month, I'd go ahead and do them, in that order.

Edit - if you don't have the iso, don't bother doing it yet. A 4* boosted to 250 isn't worth much at all. You really need them to be nearly maxed to be able to really see the benefits.