Another Fun Punisher Story!

Punisher5784
Punisher5784 Posts: 3,845 Chairperson of the Boards
edited November 2016 in MPQ General Discussion
Hello fellow tile match makers,

You may remember such Punisher stories such as the recent time I first completed Gauntlet (https://d3go.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=50981&hilit=+gauntlet) or reached 2000 pts in SHIELD Sim (https://d3go.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=31302&hilit=+2000), or even when Squirrel Girl singlehandly destroyed me! (https://d3go.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=50954&hilit=+girl). Well speaking of Squirrel Girl, this story is about her PVP which I found the most ridiculous and stressful PVP I've done in a long time.

As most of you may know I am mostly a PVE player, not a big PVP player. I am perfectly content with reaching 575 for 10 CP and I'll keep going depending on how the event is going. Well I started PVP with 2hrs remaining in the 12AM EST slice because I wanted to just get it done before I went to bed. I entered the PVP at #50 so there was no players or points in the event.. this pisses me off because I play PVP for quick progression to 575, not placement. This has been happening to me all season, not sure if this is happening to anyone else. I might have to just start entering PVP early. Nonetheless, I did some SHIELD SIM for a bit until there was more points in the event. When I returned I noticed there was only 3 nodes, and not the normal four. I cannot remember the last time I played a SG PVP so maybe her event is always 3 nodes, which makes no sense but whatever.

To be honest, I really dislike Squirrel Girl, I don't know what a good teammate(s) is for her. I have her champed and her skills are okay but I didn't want to run the same Blade/Vision team as I saw other players because their easy targets for me, so if it's easy for me, it's easy for someone else to beat me with that team. I did IM40 and Cmags for a bit and reached around 400 but then I lost two matches in a row! This was not because I was facing a hard team, infact they both has loaner SGs, it was due to "lucky" cascades and ridiculous T/U's such as Jean Grey "Mind Over Matter" right after I use IM40's "Recharge" or just BP Rage of the Panther.. I hate AOE TUs. Regardless, I fought back and won the following match. The next match was against someone with a champed SG with a champed Hood and I forget the 3rd character. Well I get Hood down to 100 health and SQ unleashes "The Bigger They Are".. fine except match damage was not killing Hood now. So Hood was naturally draining my AP but after I finally decide to just use a skill to get rid of him, SG uses her yellow again!! 6 freaking yellow protect tiles.. the match dragged for a good 10 minutes, maybe longer. I also almost lost, I was down to 300 health and I ended up making the decision to use two AOE TU's I had just to end it.

Great now I am at 526 points, just one or two more matches to reach 575 for 10 CP, but then I noticed there was only less than 10 minutes left in the event! I scrambled and frantically searched for a 50pt match! I found a 56 pt match that consisted of a champed SG, IM40, and Peggy... not a match I want to face but I was desperate! I loaded up IM40 with Rhulk with +2 R/Y AP and +2 Rainbow AP with full Rainbow Damage boost. The match started the ridiculous AP pop-ups as if I didn't know I gave myself boosts then Peggy's freaking animation but all was well as it started with a match-4 yellow.. perfect! Let out IM40's CD, match some purple, bam Rhulk Green AOE! Matched some more green, IM40 woke up to red blast Peggy then I simply killed the rest with IM's blue and another Rhulk green.. awesome, right? Nope, you would think no one would want to hit a Peggy team with a few minutes left but apparently they did because my 56pt match gave me freaking 49pts.. guess where that left me at? That's right, 574.. I swear the PVP system is set up to make you 1 pt away from your goal. Now I have 3 minutes left. I quickly enter a match with the same team and boosts, which a 30pt team consisting of a loaner SQ, GSBW, and Cmags.. great low health.. at this point I am sweating, my wife was nice enough to have a damp rag to wipe the sweat from my forehead jk she was sleeping lol. Well don't worry, this story has a happy ending. I beat it with what looked like 2 seconds left in the event! The match ended, I literally saw the 10 CP followed by the event end placement rewards.. that was such a close call. I have not been this stressed in PVP in so long.. all for freaking 10 CP.. 1/2 a 4* icon_lol.gif

Anyways, thanks for reading my stories. Sometimes I just need to let it all out after the disbelieve that these events actually occur! Thanks again and keep on matching! icon_e_biggrin.gif

Comments

• El Satanno
    El Satanno Posts: 1,005 Chairperson of the Boards
    I like Story Time with Punisher. icon_e_smile.gif Glad you made it in time. I've nearly forgotten to play events as well, and I'm well more invested into Versus than you are. I guess that happens if you take it easy and don't chase 1200+ like I do.

I honestly don't get the hate for Squrrl Grrl. I think she's great. Her yellow is garbage, but her green is a very handy power to have around, and her purple can catch opponents off-guard. I like her a lot. I just think she's fun!
  • Punisher5784
    El Satanno wrote:
    I like Story Time with Punisher. icon_e_smile.gif Glad you made it in time. I've nearly forgotten to play events as well, and I'm well more invested into Versus than you are. I guess that happens if you take it easy and don't chase 1200+ like I do.

I honestly don't get the hate for Squrrl Grrl. I think she's great. Her yellow is garbage, but her green is a very handy power to have around, and her purple can catch opponents off-guard. I like her a lot. I just think she's fun!

Thanks so much. I love telling others of my Punisher tales!
  • beyonderbub
    beyonderbub Posts: 661 Critical Contributor
    Love your stories. You should look into starting a Punisher War Journal...
  • Lemminkäinen
    Lemminkäinen Posts: 378 Mover and Shaker
    El Satanno wrote:
    Agreed! I used OML (lvl 314 but with quite a few covers) and champed boosted Carnage in the SG PvP and that was a really powerful team. Her purple regularly did 12k(!) damage due to Carnage feeding the enemy special tiles and her green with the OML Strike tiles out does absolutely insane damage (about 20k if all the CDs survive, which, admittedly is rare) while providing lots of AP. She is nowhere near bottom tier when it comes to three-stars.
  • Punisher5784
    Love your stories. You should look into starting a Punisher War Journal...

This has been suggested a few times before. I think I will make a post of all my MPQ stories for my Punisher War Journal. Stay tuned! icon_e_biggrin.gif
  • spectator
    spectator Posts: 395 Mover and Shaker
    I entered the PVP at #50 so there was no players or points in the event.. this pisses me off because I play PVP for quick progression to 575, not placement. This has been happening to me all season, not sure if this is happening to anyone else. I might have to just start entering PVP early.
    Hey punisher, you can hit anyone in your slice, not just people in your bracket. Entering a bracket late and only competing with 49 other players (until more show) means a better chance of placing high and you can still hit high scorers who started earlier and are not in your bracket. This is a good thing
  • nyck1118
    nyck1118 Posts: 106 Tile Toppler
    Just join early. Wait a day then zerg rush to your 575goal. Shouldn't be too hard as points will have had a day to accumulate. Then you dont have the time stressing you out.
  • Punisher5784
    spectator wrote:
    I entered the PVP at #50 so there was no players or points in the event.. this pisses me off because I play PVP for quick progression to 575, not placement. This has been happening to me all season, not sure if this is happening to anyone else. I might have to just start entering PVP early.
    Hey punisher, you can hit anyone in your slice, not just people in your bracket. Entering a bracket late and only competing with 49 other players (until more show) means a better chance of placing high and you can still hit high scorers who started earlier and are not in your bracket. This is a good thing

That's how I understand it but u feel like the higher placement I am the more I get hit regardless big the room size and there seems to be harder to reach 575. I just enter GSBWs PvP at #4.. frustrating. I wish I could start early but most of the time Im focused on PvE and life so I try to squeeze PvP in there when I can. If I enter early I'm obligated to that size. Idk.. anyways thanks for reading and the advice

Edit: I reached 575 with only 150 players in the room. I just had to skip matches more than usual but I'm happy! icon_e_biggrin.gif
  • Astralgazer
    Astralgazer Posts: 267 Mover and Shaker
    I did well enough in the Cover Squirrel event. Fielded SG, Blade and SWitch, all champed. Naturally I went for opponents' SG first because she could wreak havoc with her purple, considering I had Blade. I went in early, as usual; tip-toeing my way to 300, also as usual, then raced to 575 in the last 24h.

As I only play for prog, not placement, I stopped there. Thus it was a nice surprise for me that I ranked 25 in that event. Maybe ppl were having a hard time with SG. Their woes, my joys.
  • halirin
    halirin Posts: 327 Mover and Shaker
    spectator wrote:

That's how I understand it but u feel like the higher placement I am the more I get hit regardless big the room size and there seems to be harder to reach 575. I just enter GSBWs PvP at #4.. frustrating. I wish I could start early but most of the time Im focused on PvE and life so I try to squeeze PvP in there when I can. If I enter early I'm obligated to that size. Idk.. anyways thanks for reading and the advice

Edit: I reached 575 with only 150 players in the room. I just had to skip matches more than usual but I'm happy! icon_e_biggrin.gif

You seriously don't understand how matchmaking and brackets work.
  • Punisher5784
    halirin wrote:

Apparently not. Thanks for your input.
  • aa25
    aa25 Posts: 348 Mover and Shaker
    I always like your story. Similar situation happened to me in many occasion. There was one time I also ended up 1 pts short from the next reward. I was in my panic mode and tried to search for a match to play which, of course, I couldn't find one. And then, the notification popped up, I got a defensive win!
  • cyineedsn
    cyineedsn Posts: 361 Mover and Shaker
    halirin wrote:

Apparently not. Thanks for your input.

It was a bit of a snarky way to put it, but he's not wrong. The fact that your bracket only had 150 players in it didn't really have anything to do with the matches/points available to you, as was already pointed out earlier everyone in the time slice is available for you to hit. It was just so late in the event that alot of high value targets are already shielded, or their MMR/roster differences + high scores from playing most of the event meant that you couldn't queue them up from where you were.

Nonetheless, I really enjoyed your story, please do more in the future!