Hard to progress

Options
Hi all,

I really feel frustrated on the fact that it seems extremely hard to progress from 2* to a 3*

First of all, here is my go to team:
lvl 102 c. mag 3/2/5
lvl 85 Thor 3/5/5
lvl 85 A.wolve 5/5/3
lvl 85 OBW 3/5/5/
lvl 79 punisher 3/4/1
lvl 53 BP 3/-/2
lvl 53 Hood 2/3/1
lvl 53 Lazy Thor 1/2/3
lvl 20 Spidy 1/1/1

With this line up, I could only place in 26-50 everytime in the PvP event where i am only able to get one 3* cover. With luck, I can get to 11-25 which is still one 3* cover. It just seems so hard to find the covers to level my guys. Plus with one cover, the game usually give you the same color everytime. (e.g. you wont get a yellow hood for ranking 11-50, my 2 yellow hood are from tokens)

As all of you knows, the heroic tokens usually give you a cap or a hawkeye. Very rarely, I get a 3*. The standard tokens give you **** as usual.

Please give me some advise on how to progress. Should I be patient and rely on events and tokens or should I just drop the bomb on the stark salary and use it to buy covers, althought $99 to me is still quit a lot of money.

Many thanks in advance for your comments.

Comments

• Twysta
    Twysta Posts: 1,597 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    All my covers have come from tokens and event rewards (I've almost got all of them minus new characters), so if you're patient enough or have enough time to play (a lot) then you'll get the covers you need eventually.
  • FaerieMyst
    FaerieMyst Posts: 319 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Strategic playing is really important. Understanding the refresh cycles in the Events to maximize points can make a huge difference. Also knowing your best style of play - are you good at grinding or are you best at just doing a bit at a time? What character combos work best for you? The game is diverse and finding your particular fit can really make a difference in how you place in events.

Yeah, if you've got the bucks it is a shortcut but it isn't a requirement.
  • yea you have to polish up on your skills in terms of beating PvP and PvE. although shields definitely help in PvP, with a midlevel roster it's pretty hard to consistently score high.

Also, try playing in off hours and choose your bracket. if you do your first PvE match in the off hours and later toward the end of the event then it will be easier to get a good rank.
  • morgh
    morgh Posts: 539 Critical Contributor
    Options
    there are no "off" hours - if not many people are playing in Europe, you will get hammered by USA or Brazil or whatever citizens ;p
  • Eddiemon
    Eddiemon Posts: 1,470 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Drop the bomb.

If you want to fill out your characters through random luck and one cover at a time then it is intended to be a chore. Possible sure, but requiring luck and perseverence.

Your C Mag almost makes you a God and you have a maxed out OBW, so you really don't need much. You could max spidey blue if you wanted with the cash, but really filling out magneto should be enough.
  • NorthernPolarity
    NorthernPolarity Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Have you been tanking events and entering after the first day? I find that it normally takes ~600-700 points to hit top 10, which should be more than doable with your roster.
  • morgh wrote:
    there are no "off" hours - if not many people are playing in Europe, you will get hammered by USA or Brazil or whatever citizens ;p

Europe time is off hours. It's not as competitive then. I am on PST time and if I start an event in the morning to early afternoon it is way less competitive than starting in the evening. After midnight can also be good.

Also look at the event end time. If you are in the US and the event ends early in the morning, Europe has the advantage, start the event at a time that is inconvenient for them.

Yes it is a world wide game but the US still accounts for the majority of players.
  • Have you been tanking events and entering after the first day? I find that it normally takes ~600-700 points to hit top 10, which should be more than doable with your roster.

I have been tanking a bit, but not much. Given that the alliance is up, I dont wanna be a good teammember and play in every alliance tournament for the benefit of the alliance. Haha..
  • Eddiemon wrote:
    Drop the bomb.

If you want to fill out your characters through random luck and one cover at a time then it is intended to be a chore. Possible sure, but requiring luck and perseverence.

Your C Mag almost makes you a God and you have a maxed out OBW, so you really don't need much. You could max spidey blue if you wanted with the cash, but really filling out magneto should be enough.

Thanks for your advice. Thinking if I go for Stark Salary, besides Spidy and C Mag, who should i invest in. Lazy Thor maybe?. If only maxing spidy blue and C. Mag, Asgard Treasure will be enough. Any thoughts on this? Many thanks.....
  • Tannen
    Tannen Posts: 294 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Hrm.

You need - 3 covers to max Cmags (however you want to spend it) and 4 covers for spidey to max blue.

7 x 1250 in total, or 8750. You have 1 free cover from that - assuming that you're getting the 10k option - if you're not buying more hp, I'd add another cover to Spidey, probably purple. -- Gives you a few more levels to play with and allows his purple tiles to protect you more.

If you're going the full 20k, Lazy thor is probably your best option, he's going to be a long-term keeper.

Of course, after maxing out the covers that you want for spidey and mags, you'll no doubt pull only blue spidey + cmags from standard tokens from now on. Also, if you buy up to 5 blue / full mags and the funbalance for those characters happens 24 hours later, we'll all blame you. icon_e_wink.gif Just saying.
  • In order to determine if it is too difficult for you to make the transition to 3* we need to know how long you play. I am in day 99 and I still have less C.Magneto covers than you. It all depends on how much effort to put in the game, but knowing some tricks helps a lot and can make a difference. For example playing as late as possible in events, when to join a bracket, etc. MPQ is unlike other games where you can enjoy the end game content (which here is getting most 3* characters maxed) by simply playing or spending a lot. It also takes time to get there.
  • I am on day 157 and can tell you from experience it takes time. Stick at it you will get your rewards
  • It probably took me 2 straight months of playing to fully transition from 2 star to 3 star. That also included hoarding every HP I could and only using them on upgrading key 3 star covers.
  • I think you should focus on getting a balanced 2* team first. Wolves and Thor have too much color overlap. Same with obw and c mags. You should be able to place well in tournaments with a good 2* team and then you will get more access to 3* covers.

I was doing well with c storm, mn mags, and Thor and able to place top 2 in tournaments. I'm just now starting my 3* team at day 80. But keep in mind that I play a lot and also spend a little money on shields and health packs so this might be earlier than typical.
  • Same boat as OP.

So I just put down $50 on HP and covered-up on CMags and Punisher and dumped 50k ISO between the two. Totally different game.

I'd say it's definitely worth it to put some money down. I don't regret it at all, other than the fact that I spent HP on the 5th blue Mags cover (when I should have just waited a few more days and get it for free).