3* -> 4* ballance issue

veny
veny Posts: 834 Critical Contributor
edited November 2016 in MPQ General Discussion
While using 4*s in PvP i am having serious troubles beating 3*s. I mean, why maxing 4*s cost 3 times more than maxing 3*s, when their power dont reflect it? Isnt it better to max out 5*s and completely ignore 4*s? Am i doing something wrong? Lets discuss.

Comments

• firethorne
    firethorne Posts: 1,505 Chairperson of the Boards
    What are the 4* you use? Are they fully covered? Championed?
  • SummerGlau
    SummerGlau Posts: 1,027 Chairperson of the Boards
    a 4 or 5 Star with **** coverage should be losing to 3 star champions
  • veny
    firethorne wrote:
    I am using only maxed 4*s and comparing to maxed and championed (but not powered up) 3*s.
    Last fight was against 3* Luke Cage, 3* squirel girl (mandatory, promoted) and 3* Iron fist. My team was SG (mandatory, higher level than opponent´s), Nick Fury and Gwen (both 275). Result? I wont with SG with 3000HP remaining. I realize Fury and Gwen are not the best 4*s, but still, 350k ISO invested and they are barely capable of beating 3*s? If i invested that iso in 5*s, i would have 30k HP beast (almost immortal if it was OML).
  • Piro_plock
    Piro_plock Posts: 287 Mover and Shaker
    veny wrote:
    Last fight was against 3* Luke Cage, 3* squirel girl (mandatory, promoted) and 3* Iron fist. My team was SG (mandatory, higher level than opponent´s), Nick Fury and Gwen (both 275). Result? I wont with SG with 3000HP remaining. I realize Fury and Gwen are not the best 4*s, but still, 350k ISO invested and they are barely capable of beating 3*s? If i invested that iso in 5*s, i would have 30k HP beast (almost immortal if it was OML).
    Often the synergy between characters is much more important. Cage/Fist is a great team - both are top tier 3* and their abilities complement each other. With Gwen and Fury you have serious color overlap (purple/yellow on all 3 team members) and two pretty slow characters who need a lot of build-up to be effective.

Another thing: champed 4* are absolutely amazing when boosted, that's why you should want to max them.
  • tizian2015
    tizian2015 Posts: 194 Tile Toppler
    veny wrote:
    firethorne wrote:
    I am using only maxed 4*s and comparing to maxed and championed (but not powered up) 3*s.

The 30% nerf of 3*s is not enough? You go against toptier 3*s with high synergie with a lowtier 4*team. There are enough "I-win-buttons" for 4* players against 3* players, we dont need more. And finally you won the game, that is the only thing that counts. Realize please as we all have to do, that invested Iso means nothing if it is not a toptier char. Btw. its a bad defenseteam, isnt it? I bet, you were attacked often.
  • veny
    Without teamups i would lose but yeah, i wont... with both 4*s dead.
  • acescracked
    acescracked Posts: 1,197 Chairperson of the Boards
    Marvel Puzzle Quest is hard.
  • veny
    You intentionally create one of the worst possible 4* teams and take them against one of the best possible 3* teams... once... win anyway, and run to the forums to decry about a "balance issue". Seriously? icon_rolleyes.gif

This reminds me of a great article I once saw, from the Beef Council, declaring that ground turkey was no better than beef in terms of fat ... by comparing extra lean ground beef (7% fat) to the base grade of ground turkey (15% fat), without mentioning that the leanest ground poultry is 1% fat ... or that the equivalent grade of beef is 28% fat.

PS -- of course your 4* died and SG had the last remaining bits of health. They were tanking for her. Duh.
    Yeah, so you are saying we have variety of 3*s and 4*s with different quality but same cost. Kinda stupid, isnt is?
    And no, Fury and Gwen are both good. Trust me, i would not get better with most 4*s.
  • Kjempen
    Kjempen Posts: 117 Tile Toppler
    But maybe there should be some discussion on this topic?

How easy/difficult would one rate beating a champed 2 star team with a champed 3 star team (and how often would you experience defensive losses vs 2 star teams)?
    Compare that to 3 star team vs 4 star team (and how often would you experience defensive losses vs 3 star teams)...

But yeah, it's only when a 4* is champed and buffed that they really shine.
  • veny
    those two are nowhere near the top of the 4* heap. Rather near the bottom, sorry to say...

...On that point, I do indeed trust you completely. You would not do any better with most 4*s. icon_lol.gif

But thats my whole point - You admit there are better 4*s and worse 4*s, no matter how you use them. So what should we do? Build and upgrade only the best covers? Or should we try to maintain the ballance of all covers in same class. Small example: IM40 vs Psylocke - no doubt IM40 is way better than Psylocke but they are both 3*s, both cost same amount of iso to be maxed out.
    I just dont want to accept the fact, that the best 3* is way better than the worst 4*, thats all.
  • Azoth658
    Azoth658 Posts: 348 Mover and Shaker
    veny wrote:
    those two are nowhere near the top of the 4* heap. Rather near the bottom, sorry to say...

...On that point, I do indeed trust you completely. You would not do any better with most 4*s. icon_lol.gif

But thats my whole point - You admit there are better 4*s and worse 4*s, no matter how you use them. So what should we do? Build and upgrade only the best covers? Or should we try to maintain the ballance of all covers in same class. Small example: IM40 vs Psylocke - no doubt IM40 is way better than Psylocke but they are both 3*s, both cost same amount of iso to be maxed out.
    I just dont want to accept the fact, that the best 3* is way better than the worst 4*, thats all.

Correct me if I'm wrong but they are balancing characters each pvp season now. In fact the almighty cho who was arguably the worst four star is now better than the best of the three star tier. Put me one on one against any three star even boosted and my cho will win.

Then they massively improved star Lord from the bottom of the four star pile.

I think the problem you've got is working with synergies. Cage and fist are the perfect duo especially with that attack tile battering down your health while you try and grab ap. Also with that defense tile mitigating match damage. Fury and Gwen on the other hand don't play well together. Now if you had paired gwen with miles we'd be having a very different conversation. Heck if you had paired gwen with three star spidey you probably would have had an easier time.

Lastly I'd be interested to know what order you targeted in and your builds. I'd have focused on fist then sg and lastly cage. Using fury for his blue and yellow and gwen for everything else.
  • veny
    Yeah, i have 8 maxed 4*s so not much synergy possible. Still i feel some covers are almost useless no mater what character you put with them.