MTGPQ Player Survey

Options

Comments

• tm00
    tm00 Posts: 155 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I picked workshop because mad mana bonuses for colorless cards sounds sweet, would have peferred mishra's factory, but whatever.
  • tm00
    tm00 Posts: 155 Tile Toppler
    Options
    tm00 wrote:
    I picked workshop because mad mana bonuses for colorless cards sounds sweet, would have preferred mishra's factory because lands that become creatures are pretty rare, but whatever.
  • Yawgmoth
    Yawgmoth Posts: 67 Match Maker
    Options
    The classic powerhouse cards question is super scary, I wish there was an option for "none of the above". I'm afraid those would only come as a special $$$ offer and not be parts of any sets. Ultra fast mana (lotus / workshop) can be very degenerate and if countermagic (fow/misstep) is turned into a new permission mechanic that too can create a big gap between paying and not paying players.
    I picked Thoughtseize as I believe that could wrap the game the least (and AI may not use it well), a single card discard even if super efficient shouldn't ruin the game and is the safest choice.
  • tiuffw
    tiuffw Posts: 12
    Options
    Plastic wrote:
    Everyone worrying about the power cards just remember that JC and crew could totally make them as useless in PQ as they are powerful in paper.

It's Mental Misstep that concerns me the most about that list... no-one is Standard or Vintage cared about it, but it was so format warping in Legacy and Modern that it was banned in minutes. Nobody has fond memories of that card at all. Why would they pick it for a list like this?
  • EDHdad
    EDHdad Posts: 609 Critical Contributor
    Options
    But what would Mental Misstep even do in this game? In Paper Magic, it's one blue Phyrexian mana (meaning you can either pay blue mana or 2 life) to counter a spell whose converted mana cost is one.

In this game, it might be something like a 0 mana support which causes you to lose 5 life when it enters the battlefield, and then destroys the next card being cast by the opponent if its mana cost was 3 or less.

How could that possibly translate to anything broken in this game?
  • OhanaUnited
    OhanaUnited Posts: 85 Match Maker
    Options
    EDHdad wrote:
    ...Meanwhile, actual Counterspell was a common which only cost 2 mana back in the day, and the present day fixed versions cost 3.

I haven't played paper magic for so long that I didn't realize they upped plain Counterspell from 2 to 3 mana (plain as in simply Counterspell, not having additional effects)
  • Buret0
    Buret0 Posts: 1,591
    Options
    EDHdad wrote:
    Mark Rosewater is of the opinion that reprinting Thoughtseize in Theros was also a mistake, which is why there are so few Modern staples reprinted in Standard legal sets these days. Also why there are so many more supplemental reprint products popping up.

It is funny hearing about all the changes in paper. The last time I played paper was in 1995, so all of the classic cards were the ones I played in the day.
  • tiuffw
    Options
    EDHdad wrote:
    But what would Mental Misstep even do in this game? In Paper Magic, it's one blue Phyrexian mana (meaning you can either pay blue mana or 2 life) to counter a spell whose converted mana cost is one.

In this game, it might be something like a 0 mana support which causes you to lose 5 life when it enters the battlefield, and then destroys the next card being cast by the opponent if its mana cost was 3 or less.

How could that possibly translate to anything broken in this game?

But they're not asking us 'How do you like this card that works within the game?'. They're asking us, very specifically, 'Which of these mistakes would you like to see ported across to MPQ'?

They're saying, 'Imagine Black Lotus in the game!! For Realz!!!'. Imagine it. Just imagine it.
  • bk1234
    bk1234 Posts: 2,924 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    LakeStone wrote:
    shteev wrote:
    First Strike? What the heck was First Strike?

We quickly noticed that just listing First Strike may be a little confusing so we updated the name to First Strike: Oath of the Gatewatch in the survey.

I wish you would let those of us who took the survey early edit it. Though I only checked "Nodes of Power" (mostly in hopes that someday you will bestow it on us again) -- so can you just do a +1 on the Oath event? That was good times.
  • bk1234
    bk1234 Posts: 2,924 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Tilikum wrote:
    What elements of paper MTG would you like to see in the PQ version?

Anyone else say "the same amount of bugs"?

I said the ability to utilize grammar check.
  • octal9
    octal9 Posts: 593 Critical Contributor
    Options
    bken1234 wrote:
    Its important to have good grammar; a grammar check would allow the game to correct it's card descriptions!
  • Volrak
    Volrak Posts: 732 Critical Contributor
    Options
    An underlying question behind the M:tG card choices may be "do players want to see paper-MTG-like counterspells in the game?"
  • Plastic
    Plastic Posts: 762 Critical Contributor
    Options
    octal9 wrote:
    bken1234 wrote:
    Its important to have good grammar; a grammar check would allow the game to correct it's card descriptions!

Grrrrr. Grammar Nazi rageeeee.
  • Shiser
    Shiser Posts: 45 Just Dropped In
    Options
    octal9 wrote:
    bken1234 wrote:
    Not sure if this is A+ irony or A+ trolling...
    EDHdad wrote:
    ...Meanwhile, actual Counterspell was a common which only cost 2 mana back in the day, and the present day fixed versions cost 3.
    I haven't played paper magic for so long that I didn't realize they upped plain Counterspell from 2 to 3 mana (plain as in simply Counterspell, not having additional effects)
    Not only did they raise it to 3, it's specifically 1 manablue.pngmanablue.png For any hard-counterspell. For 2 manablue.png the best they'll print anymore is conditional counter (like "unless its controller pays 2" or whatever)
    tiuffw wrote:
    Abenjes wrote:
    I picked thoughtseize as I'd love to be able to view an opponents hand as a mechanic and the above terrifies me.
    The problem with implementing Thoughtseize is they wouldn't put any effort into how the AI plays it.. so a bigger gap would open up between human players and the AI, and that would result in even bigger draws for 1st place in events.
    I picked Thoughtseize as well for the possibility of a new mechanic, but I did wonder how it could be applied properly when the AI is using it. In general, I would like to see more paper mechanics make their way into MtG:PQ.
    What makes you think it would be a new mechanic? Distended Mindbender just discards 2 cards at random...In fact, there is already currently at least one MtG:PQ card for each of these effects that has some variety of the same functionality in its paper version...have plenty of mana supports, counters just drain mana, and Part the Waterveil does...something.
    Which brings up a good point. This game is already entirely too Spike-driven, and they give us a selection of cards banned or restricted for being too Spikey. If they're going digging in the past, bring up some Johnny cards with interesting, new effects. There are hundreds of interesting abilities and unique cards that aren't in this game...Morph. Epic. Mindmoil. Even freaking Scheherazade, Goblin Game, or Chaos Orb ("Drop your phone from a height of at least one foot...")
  • Shiser
    Shiser Posts: 45 Just Dropped In
    Options
    Steeme wrote:
    EDHdad wrote:
    BTW, if they are going to reprint classic Magic cards in Puzzle Quest, then please please please:

Naturalize - 3-ish mana in Green: destroys a support.

Disenchant - 3-ish mana in White: destroys a support

Shatterstorm - low cost red spell that destroys all supports

Vandalblast - red spell which destroys all supports you don't control.

Epic Confrontation / Pit Fight / Hunt the Weak / Prey Upon : Green spells which have your creatures fight their creatures (this is green's main method of creature removal).

Some of the supports in this game are hugely OP if you cannot remove them, so I agree that everyone should have access to some efficient type of support removal. For Liliana II, right now I have to **** my deck with Mockery of Nature (which costs 16 and a creature spot) just for support removal, because I don't have Anguished Unmaking and I need a way to remove a Hixus lockdown when the AI places its support in an impossible location. Not to mention we can't choose which supports get destroyed, so if there are multiples out there, then you are just throwing darts.
    Well you would have to do the same if you had a Black deck in paper Magic. That's because enchantment removal is specifically one of Black's weaknesses. The emerge creatures gave different colors access to off-color abilities specifically at the price of them being awkward and expensive.
    As for Anguished Unmaking, mono-black should never have had access to that. But don't get me started on the weird decisions they've made adapting multicolor to this game. In paper, multicolor further restricted the decks that could play a card, it didn't make it easier. They've made it more like hybrid mana instead. And as far as planeswalkers, multiple colors made them harder to use, not easier, and this justified the power levels. But the way the did it, they could never release Nicol Bolas or the new Tamiyo, at least not in a properly balanced way that wouldn't break the game. A PW would seriously have to have 40 max life and no abilities to justify the power of building a deck with 3 colors' most broken cards.
    They implemented planeswalkers in this game like Vanguard avatars-- which was absolutely the right choice, in my opinion. They just need to balance them as such
  • tiuffw
    Options
    Shiser wrote:
    As for Anguished Unmaking, mono-black should never have had access to that. But don't get me started on the weird decisions they've made adapting multicolor to this game. In paper, multicolor further restricted the decks that could play a card, it didn't make it easier. They've made it more like hybrid mana instead.

They've certainly made some weird choices with multicolor cards. There are some cards which gave less powerful (although, arguably, still problematic) abilities to colors which should not have them; Brutal Expulsion, Roil Spout, Reflector Mage. But giving both white AND black access to support removal with a power card like Anguished Unmaking, as well as mono red access to extraordinarily powerful life gain with Olivia, shows a pretty poor understanding of the basics of the color wheel.
  • blacklotus
    blacklotus Posts: 589 Critical Contributor
    Options
    tiuffw wrote:
    Shiser wrote:
    As for Anguished Unmaking, mono-black should never have had access to that. But don't get me started on the weird decisions they've made adapting multicolor to this game. In paper, multicolor further restricted the decks that could play a card, it didn't make it easier. They've made it more like hybrid mana instead.

They've certainly made some weird choices with multicolor cards. There are some cards which gave less powerful (although, arguably, still problematic) abilities to colors which should not have them; Brutal Expulsion, Roil Spout, Reflector Mage. But giving both white AND black access to support removal with a power card like Anguished Unmaking, as well as mono red access to extraordinarily powerful life gain with Olivia, shows a pretty poor understanding of the basics of the color wheel.

at this moment, I consider mtgPQ a match3 mobile game with a dash of paper mtg card flavoring. mtgPQ is not a proper mtg paper game conversion as there's no way for one to get 20 mana in turn one in paper mtg with any card combo.

the best u can do is 3x 4 + 3 = 15 mana, provided u draw a 7 card hand of 4 black lotus + 3 moxes, if you play by the most basic rule of mtg when mtg just started.
  • Maveric78f
    Options
    I don't think you can compare 1 paper MtG mana with 1 MtGPQ mana. It's more like 1 = 4 or so.

And thoughtseize already exists and it's an uncommon (and probably the best non-mythic black card): Transgress the mind. For 3, you discard the most valuable card of the opponent (at least it's the one he wanted to play) and you sink him the mana he already put in it. That's completely broken. It's better than the mythic Inifinite Obliteration because discarding another card is not worth 3 additional mana in my opinion.
  • Ohboy
    Ohboy Posts: 1,766 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    blacklotus wrote:
    tiuffw wrote:
    Shiser wrote:

at this moment, I consider mtgPQ a match3 mobile game with a dash of paper mtg card flavoring. mtgPQ is not a proper mtg paper game conversion as there's no way for one to get 20 mana in turn one in paper mtg with any card combo.

the best u can do is 3x 4 + 3 = 15 mana, provided u draw a 7 card hand of 4 black lotus + 3 moxes, if you play by the most basic rule of mtg when mtg just started.

Channel fireball ftw.
  • EDHdad
    EDHdad Posts: 609 Critical Contributor
    Options
    And thoughtseize already exists and it's an uncommon

Except that Thoughseize allows you to look at your opponent's hand.

I'd also like Gitaxian Probe and even Glasses of Urza.