Strange Sights Sub Event Alliance Placement... Concerns

JHawkInc
JHawkInc Posts: 2,604 Chairperson of the Boards
edited November 2016 in MPQ General Discussion
Okay. So we've got Strange Sights. New event, Choose Your Own Sub-Event format. Boss in the main node. New stuff. Should be fun.

This is the current alliance total for the event. It's early, only two slices have started, so only a handful of us on the charts.

https://i.groupme.com/768x1024.jpeg.22a33258e3194707be266395b88a3657

A few of us split up so we could get eyes on the different sub events to pass word to the rest of the alliance (and the other alliances in the family). So I went after the Hand (to get them out of the way after EotS), and have gone after the Wand of Watoomb.

https://i.groupme.com/768x1024.jpeg.28b5c610094f4bfe89e9346310f31e63

Okay, so in the sub-event, it's just two of us. Further checking with the alliance, I saw the following.

https://i.groupme.com/844x1500.jpeg.348c78e6cc9f4bacbf6f1a6e8a2b0f82

https://i.groupme.com/800x1280.png.22fbf532cc4f47c9bc31aaccb5201417

There are the Orb and Book sub events, each with a different part of the alliance in them.

The problem, then, is looking at placement. The sub events end after the first 24 hours, like any other sub event. Right now, in the Wand of Watoomb, our alliance rank is 1659. Right now, checking in with our guys running Book of Vishanti, their alliance rank is 19. Orb of Agamotto guys are at 700. Overall, for Strange Sights, we're all at 97.

How are sub-event alliance rewards determined? Normally, the first day would end completely 24 hours after slice 5 starts, and sub event alliance rewards would go out. The problem now is that because the alliance is spread out across three different sub events, some will do well, and others will not. Or are the sub events not ending on an alliance scale until the final day? That would give everyone time to try all three events (regardless of order), and would mean alliance rewards for sub-events would all go out at the same time, but would not be available until the last day (instead of one sub each day like a regular event).

At the moment we're pointing people towards the same sub event, just in case it matters, which means fear over possible lost rewards is taking away the "choose your own path" aspect of the event. It would be nice to get some feedback to see if this is even an issue at all, and if it is, what's being done about it.

Comments

• Daiches
    Daiches Posts: 1,252 Chairperson of the Boards
    Wouldn't be a new event if some easily avoidable problem didn't show up.
  • BlackSheep101
    BlackSheep101 Posts: 2,025 Chairperson of the Boards
    Maybe they'll only give out sub awards at the end?
  • stochasticism
    stochasticism Posts: 1,181 Chairperson of the Boards
    The t10000 alliances get 2 event tokens with slight variations of ISO between the rankings. Looks like the way they are handling it is by making it rain tokens on everyone. I guess this is the flattening of alliance rewards hifi posted about.
  • JHawkInc
    JHawkInc Posts: 2,604 Chairperson of the Boards
    Maybe they'll only give out sub awards at the end?

Hopefully? And with the rewards being odd anyways (as mentioned in the main Strange Sights thread, it shows people getting 2 tokens regardless of placement, so the ISO is the main difference, and even then it's not much difference), it really doesn't matter TOO much.

The problem is that with the devs' track record, we have no idea if it's something they accounted for and didn't communicate to us well enough to allay fears, or if this is another easily avoidable error that made it into the game anyways.
  • slidecage
    slidecage Posts: 3,401 Chairperson of the Boards
    The t10000 alliances get 2 event tokens with slight variations of ISO between the rankings. Looks like the way they are handling it is by making it rain tokens on everyone. I guess this is the flattening of alliance rewards hifi posted about.

do we get the 2 from the event we picked or if everyone picks something different we get 6 per day?
  • Tatercat
    Tatercat Posts: 930 Critical Contributor
    slidecage wrote:

do we get the 2 from the event we picked or if everyone picks something different we get 6 per day?

It looks like all sub rewards for alliances are for the Strange Sights tokens, not for the vaults.
  • Fightmastermpq
    Fightmastermpq Posts: 995 Critical Contributor
    Daiches wrote:
    I just had a great idea that would really help with these types of situations. D3 should hire someone to read this type of feedback from the forums and other social media, confer with demiurge on the mechanics, and then communicate those findings back to the community to help manage expectations. If they were really good they could actually think through these types of problems before the event went live and let the players know in advance!
  • Daiches
    Daiches Posts: 1,252 Chairperson of the Boards
    Daiches wrote:
    I just had a great idea that would really help with these types of situations. D3 should hire someone to read this type of feedback from the forums and other social media, confer with demiurge on the mechanics, and then communicate those findings back to the community to help manage expectations. If they were really good they could actually think through these types of problems before the event went live and let the players know in advance!

It's not like we didn't ask and ask and ask for more info in the official thread about how the event would work, especially the Boss fight and the implications of choose-your-own-adventure
  • On page 4 of the Dr. Strange thread at the top of this forum, there is a red post saying they are aware of alliance sub rewards being wonky.
  • Tatercat
    Tatercat Posts: 930 Critical Contributor

g1361041739860123871.jpg
  • dsds
    dsds Posts: 526
    The rewards are flat because this event is a test. If they were not flat and the event went horribly, people would complain that they missed out on the top rewards. With the rewards being flat, even if the event went badly for many, everyone still gets roughly the same thing so no one loses.

You guys all said you don't want placement rewards in pve, well the flat rewards is basically doing that and yet you still complain?
  • carrion_pigeons
    carrion_pigeons Posts: 942 Critical Contributor
    dsds wrote:
    The rewards are flat because this event is a test. If they were not flat and the event went horribly, people would complain that they missed out on the top rewards. With the rewards being flat, even if the event went badly for many, everyone still gets roughly the same thing so no one loses.

You guys all said you don't want placement rewards in pve, well the flat rewards is basically doing that and yet you still complain?

Don't think anybody's really complaining about the flat rewards per se.

They just want actual communication.
  • BlackSheep101
    BlackSheep101 Posts: 2,025 Chairperson of the Boards
    Don't think anybody's really complaining about the flat rewards per se.

They just want actual communication.
    This. The event format is brand new, so we're sharing information, speculating about stuff, etc.
  • slidecage
    slidecage Posts: 3,401 Chairperson of the Boards
    Tatercat wrote:
    slidecage wrote:

It looks like all sub rewards for alliances are for the Strange Sights tokens, not for the vaults.

yea but there are 3 paths so if 7 people each picked a different path or even 1 that would give you 3 scores in 3 different events wouldnt it.
  • SummerGlau
    SummerGlau Posts: 1,027 Chairperson of the Boards
    Alliance ranks will likely be calculated at the end of play

(odds are this means for all three subs at event end)