Cover lock has dampened my enthusiasm for the Strange pve

VizMantis
VizMantis Posts: 280 Mover and Shaker
edited January 2017 in MPQ General Discussion
I'll start by saying the new Strange pve sounds interesting. I'm looking forward to a new pve in general, and new goons and the puzzley boss should be a nice change of pace. Being a 4* player, I'm not that excited about winning 3* Strange covers, but there was the SCL progression reward waiting for me.

Sadly, my enthusiasm for this PVE was severely diminished when I saw the black nova progression reward. I've sold no less than 6 black novas in the last month or two. My 0/5/5 nova is not amused. 4* progression rewards as a result of SCL are great, but it also means that I now have the opportunity to get upset by entire pve runs, in addition to token pulls. I guess this has always been the case for 2/3* progression rewards, but I don't recall having a problem when I was in those tiers. Just thought I'd throw out another argument for colorless covers or some other solution for cover lock, if it hasn't been mentioned already.

Comments

• Black Duke
    Black Duke Posts: 694 Critical Contributor
    Well, I`m on the other side. My 4/3/0 Nova is desperately searching for a black cover, so I`m very glad about their choice of color. icon_e_wink.gif

Apart from that I have to agree that a colorless 4*-cover would be a fairer solution for each player.
  • Punisher5784
    Punisher5784 Posts: 3,845 Chairperson of the Boards
    You could be like me and not have a Nova cover locking you out if the 4* essential for a new PvE with a new character..
  • VizMantis
    You could be like me and not have a Nova cover locking you out if the 4* essential for a new PvE with a new character..

That's at least a problem I feel like they've reasonably addressed recently. Now you at least get the essential you're missing about 2/3rds of the way through the pve via progression. That's not soon enough to score placement most likely, but now you get a cover for that new character through progression in the next pve.
  • Punisher5784
    Punisher5784 Posts: 3,845 Chairperson of the Boards
    VizMantis wrote:

That's at least a problem I feel like they've reasonably addressed recently. Now you at least get the essential you're missing about 2/3rds of the way through the pve via progression. That's not soon enough to score placement most likely, but now you get a cover for that new character through progression in the next pve.

I know and I'm happy we get 4* progression but I hope I'm not locked out of those special Strange tokens cause Im missing Nova. This is the worst time for me to be missing an essential character
  • SummerGlau
    SummerGlau Posts: 1,027 Chairperson of the Boards
    Black Duke wrote:
    Well, I`m on the other side. My 4/3/0 Nova is desperately searching for a black cover, so I`m very glad about their choice of color. icon_e_wink.gif

Apart from that I have to agree that a colorless 4*-cover would be a fairer solution for each player.

my Nova is 4/5/0 so the black cover is my choice
  • VizMantis

My point wasn't that black is a bad color to give for nova. My point is that when it is a cover in a color you've got locked, it really takes the wind out of your sails in terms of enthusiasm for a pve. It's a similar feeling to when you draw a dup cover from an LT, only the disappointment is drawn out over 3-7 days. I was just illustrating the point through my own experience for this upcoming pve, but it's something that will pop up on different pve's for different people.

It just seemed to me to be a new angle (due to SCL) where the cover lock issue gets in the way of game enjoyment that I wanted to voice.
  • Berserk_Al
    Berserk_Al Posts: 411 Mover and Shaker
    I hope in higher clearance levels (when we get them), if they give two covers for the 4star essential, the second cover is from the color if its next rotation (or previous). My Rocket and Groot would already have 13 covers if they had done that with the 3star covers.
  • VizMantis wrote:

My point wasn't that black is a bad color to give for nova. My point is that when it is a cover in a color you've got locked, it really takes the wind out of your sails in terms of enthusiasm for a pve. It's a similar feeling to when you draw a dup cover from an LT, only the disappointment is drawn out over 3-7 days. I was just illustrating the point through my own experience for this upcoming pve, but it's something that will pop up on different pve's for different people.

It just seemed to me to be a new angle (due to SCL) where the cover lock issue gets in the way of game enjoyment that I wanted to voice.

Completely agree. For those with 5 covers of a certain colour, it does get frustrating. I'm building 4* and I have a few with bad coverage such as 151, 250 etc. Colourless covers are needed. If I see a 4* cover that I don't need as a progression award, I now more or less sit out the event, maybe just grab 5cp.
  • VizMantis
    Just thought I'd reiterate this point. Kingpin is long in the tooth and yet the best I've managed is 2/3/5. As such, the yellow kp progression reward in SCL has really turned me off to the next pve, despite the new character release.

Obviously colorless covers or something of the like would be the ideal and much requested solution. But even varying the color by SCL would fix the one issue in isolation.
  • smkspy
    smkspy Posts: 2,024 Chairperson of the Boards
    And for me, his will make him 3/5/5. Though lord know how many purple covers I had to sell off when he was suck at 1/5/0 for what seemed forever.

Sometimes you eat the bar and sometimes the bar eats you.