I really like the new Star Lord

bbigler
bbigler Posts: 2,111 Chairperson of the Boards
edited November 2016 in MPQ General Discussion
My Star Lord is currently at 3/5/3 at level 193 and I thought I would try him out against the latest PvE goons. I paired him with 4* Cyclops and Scarlett Switch and they had great synergy. I could easily produce purple and red to make the hits and erase enemy CD tiles. If I needed more CD tiles for his 6 Red AP Sucker Punch, then I could put down a bunch of Cyclop's Uncanny Strategist tiles for just 3 Yellow AP! Cyclop's Blue attack was reduced to just 6 Blue as well. So, I've used them to take out high level goons, even when paired with Wolverine or Gorgon. Plus, my Star Lord and Cyclops aren't even close to being fully powered up.

So, with this new revelation of automatic cost reduction, I've tried out a few other teams and they are working great! Here's my suggestions to try out....

Star Lord + Iron Fist + Black Panther: produces tons of black and wipes the board really quick, plus cheaper strike tiles
Star Lord + Iron Fist + 3* Luke Cage: produces tons of black to punch and stun forever, gives good control over enemies
Star Lord + GSBW + Professor X: Winfinite!, this may be obvious, but it works super well and could allow you to beat super hard boss levels
Star Lord + 4* Cyclops + Scarlett Witch: (as mentioned above)

Other Teams I haven't tried yet:
SL + Switch + Spiderman: for lots of stunning, protection and team damage
SL + Switch + Kingpin: produce purple, to get yellow, to lay lots of goon tiles, plus big sucker punch
SL + Switch + Rulk: produce purple, to get green, to kill the enemy team quick
SL + Switch + Iceman: produce purple, to get Blue, then stun and punch forever

Apparently, I like using Switch with Star Lord, but purple is such a battery color!

Comments

• DFiPL
    DFiPL Posts: 2,405 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'm fond of SL+IM40, but between goons causing SL to fire his passive and boards that may be light on yellow, IM40 doesn't always get to do his thing.

But when he DOES, SL gets punchy.
  • Redrobot30
    Redrobot30 Posts: 348 Mover and Shaker
    For EotS I have been using SL with Hood and Quake. Hood just steals all the enemy red to power up SL and Quake protects everyone from those nasty Caltrops. Very good board control with turn to smoke as well. SL has become a good character against goons that is for sure.
  • fun_and_gun
    fun_and_gun Posts: 120 Tile Toppler
    for this pve, I've been running 4* cyclops, starlord, and quicksilver. they've been getting the job done.
  • Jexman
    Jexman Posts: 165 Tile Toppler
    I ran SL + Quicksilver + Vision in EOTS and it was great. It was easy to keep Vision countdown tiles up (at cost 3!), so I could choose between Vision and SL red blasts depending on how many countdown tiles were out there. Cheap Quicksilver greens meant lots of supersonics.

But in short, shocking news: cheap abilities are good.
  • mpqr7
    mpqr7 Posts: 2,642 Chairperson of the Boards
    SL has become a lot of fun, my go-to guy in pve. He's like the friendly version of Carnage. Instead of creating lots of attack.png s that decimate your own team, he creates lots of ap and lets you fire off some powers at super fun low prices, such as 3 greens for HT, 3 yellow for 4cyc, 7 black for oml etc. It's wonderful.

The only thing I would do would be to remove some of his yellow animations.... once per turn is enough icon_cool.gif

Also the new Cho is greatly improved as well! Also very fun to use in PVE. That's what we need, more fun characters! The devs are doing a great job on this. Thanks for the good character re-works!
  • being able to overwrite 3 countdowns for 8 purple is already good. then they blow up and deal damage a few turns later as a bonus. used him in all the wave nodes. icon_razz.gif
  • Jarvind
    Jarvind Posts: 1,684 Chairperson of the Boards
    Starlord/Iceman/Nova is hilarious in Shield Sim. Stuns and airbornes for 4 AP a pop gets nutty.
  • GrimSkald
    GrimSkald Posts: 2,579 Chairperson of the Boards
    He really does play well with every character now! I'm not going to go digging through the archives for it, who has the graphic?

Seriously, though, they improved him a lot. His purple and red don't hit very hard, but he makes up for it by being a marvelous AP-Generator/Cost Reducer, and the fact that you can deal with special tiles is awesome. He's a PVE go-to for sure, particularly in the goon nodes.
  • Magic
    Magic Posts: 1,199 Chairperson of the Boards
    I have him championed and I am excited but not very excited. In PvE against goons he is my first selection (and since I have championed Nova as well I play the pair with championed and boosted Cyclops - it's by far the easiest run of EotS for me thanks to this trio). However in a PvE where there are no goons or simulator (not really tested so I might be wrong) he is not that great. You need the opponent to fire a power and you don't want them to do it. So I am not that hot on him being useful in simulator or non-goon nodes of PvE. Still - great update.

I will check the Ice-SL-Nova trio for sim. Might be the thing.
  • bbigler
    bbigler Posts: 2,111 Chairperson of the Boards
    mpqr7 wrote:
    SL has become a lot of fun, my go-to guy in pve. He's like the friendly version of Carnage. Instead of creating lots of attack.png s that decimate your own team, he creates lots of ap and lets you fire off some powers at super fun low prices, such as 3 greens for HT, 3 yellow for 4cyc, 7 black for oml etc. It's wonderful.

Ummm...SL doesn't reduce Black, just the other 5 colors
  • dsds
    dsds Posts: 526
    yeah IM40 with starlord is crazy. You use 2x red/yellow ap boost and 2x all ap boost. When you do this, basically IM40s yellow is guaranteed to go off when an enemy uses a power. No more worrying about the board not having enough yellow. Only have to protect the cd tiles from your starlord and im40.