How to tank colors

richterbelmont10
richterbelmont10 Posts: 186
edited November 2016 in MPQ General Discussion
Other than checking a each individual character's tile damage, is there some special strategy in making a character tank their colors? I’m talking about characters with color-tanking-related powers such as Vision, Hulk, Patch, and Gamora. For example, my Vision is at level 173, and I paired him with IM40 who is at level 174. Vision was boosted this week to level 257. Even still, IM40 took away Vision’s yellow and his red, leaving him only with blue. I thought they made a good duo, since IM40’s recharge gave Vision a quick Density:Heavy and Heavy Strike attack, dealing over 3000 damage to the enemy team. However, because Vision only had one color, it rendered his Density:Heavy and Density:Light nearly useless. There was one battle where he was the last character standing (therefore tanking every color on the board) and his Density powers were truly amazing. They became what saved him.

There are other character combos that seem to go well together, but disrupts the color-tanking scheme. For example, I love Gamora’s Bad Reputation. I like pairing her with Daken as they make a good strike-tile fast-attack assassin combo. When I pair them together though, Daken takes away Gamora’s black. I also like pairing Gamora with Fist, but they are exactly equal in Black damage, even though Gamora is 7 levels higher than Fist. I have to put Gamora in the middle to tank her black. I think if I raise Fist another level, he’s going to steal her black. Is that a reason not to raise his level if the opportunity arises? (at least not until I can raise Gamora)

Should I just not put these characters together? What are the best team combos for Hulk, Patch, and Gamora as far as tanking their colors are concerned?

Comments

• Jarvind
    Jarvind Posts: 1,684 Chairperson of the Boards
    Championing kind of screwed this up. It used to be pretty doable to just softcap a character so they wouldn't tank over someone else you used with them, but the benefits of championing are dramatically greater than doing this in most situations now, so you're kind of at the mercy of wherever the numbers land.

I used to use OML/Daken/X23 together as the synergy was amazing - matching green would gather AP for X23, heal her, and generate two strikes which lowered the cost of her trap, on top of everyone being a true healer. Unfortunately purple is Daken's strongest color and X23's weakest, so as I leveled Daken he started tanking it over her unless she was boosted, leaving her only able to heal by matching green (OML will always tank red). I tried softcapping him around 140 but then his squishiness started to become a problem - any time he took a hit or an AOE went off he was pretty much going to die.

Ultimately I just gave up on the team - the rewards from feeding covers into Daken (which include X23 covers!) have been well worth it. I still get to pull it out when X23 is boosted and have some fun with it.
  • Uber303
    Uber303 Posts: 85 Match Maker
    Other than checking a each individual character's tile damage, is there some special strategy in making a character tank their colors? I’m talking about characters with color-tanking-related powers such as Vision, Hulk, Patch, and Gamora. For example, my Vision is at level 173, and I paired him with IM40 who is at level 174. Vision was boosted this week to level 257. Even still, IM40 took away Vision’s yellow and his red, leaving him only with blue. I thought they made a good duo, since IM40’s recharge gave Vision a quick Density:Heavy and Heavy Strike attack, dealing over 3000 damage to the enemy team. However, because Vision only had one color, it rendered his Density:Heavy and Density:Light nearly useless. There was one battle where he was the last character standing (therefore tanking every color on the board) and his Density powers were truly amazing. They became what saved him.

There are other character combos that seem to go well together, but disrupts the color-tanking scheme. For example, I love Gamora’s Bad Reputation. I like pairing her with Daken as they make a good strike-tile fast-attack assassin combo. When I pair them together though, Daken takes away Gamora’s black. I also like pairing Gamora with Fist, but they are exactly equal in Black damage, even though Gamora is 7 levels higher than Fist. I have to put Gamora in the middle to tank her black. I think if I raise Fist another level, he’s going to steal her black. Is that a reason not to raise his level if the opportunity arises? (at least not until I can raise Gamora)

Should I just not put these characters together? What are the best team combos for Hulk, Patch, and Gamora as far as tanking their colors are concerned?
    If you get 20 red ap visions ark is more powerful than im40, you do 3x the damage for an extra 6ap
  • Uber303
    Uber303 Posts: 85 Match Maker
    I actually really like vision, paired with im40 he can wipe out an 21k team in 4 moves with a good board
  • deadtaco
    deadtaco Posts: 409 Mover and Shaker
    I've been playing vision/im40 this week as well. The best matches are when I had 5 AP before recharge went off. Then while IM40 was stunned, Vision had the board to himself (mostly) and I could use his heavy to great effect for 2 moves. It wasn't a lot, but it helped. This also happened with Gorgon would stun IM40 with whatever power does that.
  • Evilgenius_9
    Evilgenius_9 Posts: 132 Tile Toppler
    Jarvind wrote:
    Championing kind of screwed this up. It used to be pretty doable to just softcap a character so they wouldn't tank over someone else you used with them, but the benefits of championing are dramatically greater than doing this in most situations now, so you're kind of at the mercy of wherever the numbers land.

I used to use OML/Daken/X23 together as the synergy was amazing - matching green would gather AP for X23, heal her, and generate two strikes which lowered the cost of her trap, on top of everyone being a true healer. Unfortunately purple is Daken's strongest color and X23's weakest, so as I leveled Daken he started tanking it over her unless she was boosted, leaving her only able to heal by matching green (OML will always tank red). I tried softcapping him around 140 but then his squishiness started to become a problem - any time he took a hit or an AOE went off he was pretty much going to die.

Ultimately I just gave up on the team - the rewards from feeding covers into Daken (which include X23 covers!) have been well worth it. I still get to pull it out when X23 is boosted and have some fun with it.

I play with this team for a lot of easy pve nodes - no heath packs icon_e_smile.gif
  • metallion
    metallion Posts: 276 Mover and Shaker
    Funny how the posts here are all talking about using the same teams as OP instead of attempting to answer his main question.

Assuming we are talking about damage in just 1 colour
    If character A damage > character B damage, A will always do the damage.
    If character A damage = character B damage, damage dealer is decided by how you arrange your characters
    Priority order goes by center - left - right. So if you have 2 guys dealing the same damage on center and left position, center deals the damage.

Long story short: unless your guys are dealing the same damage for a colour, you can't control who tanks.
    Hope this helps.
  • ammenell
    ammenell Posts: 817 Critical Contributor
    try vision with quicksilver and ironfist.

for a fast start, use a 2ap boost in blue/purple, so you can activate visions blue and ifs purple after a single match.
    vision tanks all his colors, so long cascades with ifs purple really hurt. use quicksilvers black for more purple for more black for more... and throw some red and blue matches in between.

qs and if are made for each other, they only a strong yellow/blue/red