No commander alliance

Options
I've been curious about how many alliances have expanded to 20 members. We have been placing well in most events, and there is no scroll button, so all I had been able to see was that the top 15 or so in most events are all 20 man alliances. But today we were down in the 20's for easy simulator and so I could see alliances that I hadn't previously seen. I clicked on them to see how many were 20 man alliances. All were, but there was one interesting one. Grom had 20 members, but no commander!

That's weird. The only way I could imagine this happening would be if someone created it, spent all the HP to open all twenty spots, then left. But who would do that? Why would someone do that? And without a commander, no one could be promoted or kicked, and no new slots could be added if alliances are ever allowed to expand in the future.

Just really strange.

Comments

• Yeah, I just saw Grom too.

I'm not saying that it's this particular case, but:

1. create new account.
    2. hack it to get tons of HP.
    3. create Alliance, buy all slots.
    4. leave Alliance, without making it private.
    5. join with Your old account.
    6. be sure not to make yourself a commander, as it would raise suspicion.

possible?
  • IceIX
    IceIX ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 4,313 Site Admin
    Options
    Emeryt wrote:
    Yeah, I just saw Grom too.
    <Snip cheaty cheaty>
    possible?
    Unlikely. And looking at Grom, I'm not seeing any evidence of that. Not sure what Grom wants to do to keep moving forward, but CS can always flip a bit and promote someone if needed if someone tickets it. Maybe they're happy being a public anarchic Alliance?
  • It would make me feel really bad if it was a case of, oops what does this button do.

Even if you did manage to jump right back in you would no longer have commander status. Which means that alliance is permanently set to public icon_eek.gif ...
  • IceIX wrote:
    public anarchic Alliance?
    It just occured to me. What a brilliant idea, indeed!

keep-calm-and-fight-the-system-7.png
  • Cousin Simpson
    Cousin Simpson Posts: 1,086 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    IceIX wrote:
    Emeryt wrote:
    <Snip cheaty cheaty>
    possible?
    Maybe they're happy being a public anarchic Alliance?

I was thinking dictatorship of the proletariat. (My thinking's surely wrong, of course...)
  • Is it better or worse than an alliance where everyone is a Commander? That's the alliance I'm in now. On the plus side, since we're under 20 slots still, anyone can add to it and people have been. When I joined we were at 11, now we're at 16. (Plus we always seem to place in the upper 50 regularly and upper 20 occasionally, so...)
  • Unknown
    edited March 2014
    Options
    In the alliance French Corp, there are no commanders either.

It used to have one commander, KirosumaFR or something. I reported him as a cheater because of a suspicious roster and he obviously funded all 20 slots. He got promptly removed/ sandboxed (kudos to the team who are working on removing cheaters), but my question, which I've sent to support, is this: shouldn't the alliance be disbanded if the person funded it with HP from cheating?

Another one is French Army. Notsure if they are related, but I find it suspicious when a commander of a 20 man alliance paid more than 10000 HP and just disappears from it.
  • vudu3
    vudu3 Posts: 940 Critical Contributor
    Options
    LevitateMe wrote:
    Is it better or worse than an alliance where everyone is a Commander?

In theory it should be no different than if no one is a commander.

If you're paying for your spot--which is what many if not most alliances are doing--then you need to be made a commander just so (A) you can pay for the spot and (B) you can get kicked immediately after dumping hundreds of HP into a new slot.
  • Tharos
    Tharos Posts: 129
    Options
    I hope they won't disband this alliance. I am part of the French Corp alliance. After two events with my alliance "I am the only one in here", I felt I should join a "real" alliance to have a chance of bigger rewards (not really wanting the biggest one. I have "only" maxed two 2* characters, so the biggest rewards means nothing to me).

Without a "show all unfilled alliances" option, I searched for a keyword. "French" looked like an easy way to find a nice alliance easy to understand if chat will be activated one day. I spoted a 20-slot alliance with about half of them empty. Bingo.
    I had no idea of this kind on cheat, sandbox or limited-size alliances or something. Until this thread, I had no idea some people pay to be part of an alliance, or a "big" alliance. I entered, and won my second hood cover!

Even with no leader, we gain points in the events. Enough to gain some cover (or only some iso in the simulator sub-events), and it's fine. I hope we won't be disbanded because of a thing we did not take part of.
    I just hope that all the new alliance content (chat, ...) won't require an alliance leader, or I don't how we can do.
  • Unknown
    edited March 2014
    Options
    IceIX wrote:
    Emeryt wrote:
    <Snip cheaty cheaty>
    possible?
    Unlikely. And looking at Grom, I'm not seeing any evidence of that. Not sure what Grom wants to do to keep moving forward, but CS can always flip a bit and promote someone if needed if someone tickets it. Maybe they're happy being a public anarchic Alliance?

It seem you dont even know how the commander system work. If you are the last commander of an alliance and you choose to leave, the game wont let you unless make someone else a commander. The only way for an alliance to have no commander is that one guy cheat and open all the slot then he get sandbox and forcefully remove from the alliance.
    Your alliance system is f u c k up and you know it(or may be you dont). It open all kind of loop holes for cheater, from know they have been sandbox to exploiting cheater to get 20/20 member slot and more.
    There are many alliance still functioning right now that use cheater to open all the slot. One namely TheOnlyHeroes.
  • Human behavior always amuses me. You set up any system and they will always find a way to subvert it. You can never predict exactly how.
  • Unknown
    edited March 2014
    Options
    Tharos wrote:
    I hope they won't disband this alliance. I am part of the French Corp alliance. After two events with my alliance "I am the only one in here", I felt I should join a "real" alliance to have a chance of bigger rewards (not really wanting the biggest one. I have "only" maxed two 2* characters, so the biggest rewards means nothing .

Well, maybe not quite disband but at least split up into 4 5-man alliances i.e French Corp1, 2,3,4 etc. If people in the alliance want to expand the alliance legitimately, they are free to do so by purchasing slots with HP that is not obtained through cheats.

It is unfair to the other alliances that paid up to expand their alliance to leave alliances such as French Corp intact. The smaller alliances suffer an unfair disadvantage just because they did not cheat to expand their alliance.
  • MaxCavalera
    MaxCavalera Posts: 425 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Yeah these cheater alliances need to go Immediately. If there is no commander it should be deleted not fair to those actually paying for slots obviously.
  • I reported another cheater commander yesterday. This time it is Brasil FTW yesterday and now they are commanderless too. I hope they decide on what to do with these alliances soon and come up with better ways to detect cheaters than to rely on players reporting.

I remember when alliance rewards first came out, someone pointed out that the commander (lasting frodo) from this alliance looked like a cheater. See viewtopic.php?f=7&t=4832&hilit=brasil
    I thought someone must have reported him but when I checked yesterday, he was still around so I reported him and now he's gone.

Moral of the story: If you see someone suspicious, just report him/her. They will be promptly removed. I just wish the alliances expanded from ill gotten HP will get sorted out so smaller legit alliances will have a better chance at the rewards they deserve.
  • Tharos wrote:
    Even with no leader, we gain points in the events. Enough to gain some cover (or only some iso in the simulator sub-events), and it's fine. I hope we won't be disbanded because of a thing we did not take part of.
    I just hope that all the new alliance content (chat, ...) won't require an alliance leader, or I don't how we can do.

It's understandable that you hope that you don't lose out because of someone else's wrong-doing, but think of it from the other perspective : all the members of your alliance are now benefiting from the cheating practices of one player. The purpose of sandboxing cheaters is that they should not affect other players with their cheating, hence they can get all the top 1 rewards they want and no one cares because it doesn't affect anyone else. Now with your alliance, they are taking a reward spot away from maybe other 5-10 man alliances who did not cheat to expand their roster slots. Because the rewards are all competitive, the cheater's actions live on through their alliance. You may be innocent, but you're reaping ill-gotten gains from other legitimate players.

Splitting these alliances up into 4 sub-alliances is already very generous as you save on the 2500*4 ISO alliance creation fee, and also avoids the problem you cited because your alliance has no commander. Personally I think such cheater alliances should just be disbanded... but there needs to be a mechanism to prevent this from occurring in the first place. Think of all the "smarter" cheaters who aren't so obvious and go unreported...
  • MaxCavalera
    MaxCavalera Posts: 425 Mover and Shaker
    edited March 2014
    Options
    CAuLNLm.jpg
    Here is the only commander of another 20 man public roster ahead of my alliance, ****!, I already reported him but it isn't solving the problem.

Edit: The commander has been banned ill take credit there icon_lol.gif and it was private so hopefully this one will die as well.
  • Same thing happpend to my alliance. We had 13/20 members but the commander left and we have no one to approve other players. Guys ended up leaving and now we are down to 6 players.
  • Sorry to dredge up an old thread but I didn't want to start another one.

Long story short: I found a 20 man alliance started by a cheater when he was the only one in the alliance. He got removed after I reported him but the alliance remained even though it was clearly funded by the cheater. Now there is another 20 man, no-commander, public alliance to bump off yet another small alliance from getting alliance rewards. Clearly they have no intention of removing these cheater funded alliances. Until they do, I am clearly wasting my effort reporting these alliances.

To the curious, the alliance name is French Corp 2. At this rate, French Corp 999 will appear soon enough. Below was the player reported. His roster wasn't very obviously sketchy though he had a maxed Lazy Shieldbro and had an alliance with that name...

24qiwsx.jpg
    sb787p.jpg
  • I reported a suspicious leader who got kicked a few days later, now the alliance is without a commander and stuck at 10/10
  • Zifna
    Zifna Posts: 170 Tile Toppler
    Options
    This is honestly really upsetting to me - clearly this is a widespread problem.

Our alliance has been scrimping and saving hero points to slowly expand legitimately, and it's still really hard for us to earn any decent alliance rewards. In this current PvE event we are on the border between getting something good or not, but probably since we won't be able to expand much more we will narrowly miss out on a third torch cover.

If even a few handfuls of the alliances ahead of us are cheater, that would probably make the difference for us.

I hope IceIX/D3 has some kind of statement here about what they're doing to break up these cheater alliances. Obviously there's no reason for the cheaters to stop making them and they're not stopping. From his post on the first page it sounds like D3 is willing to ENABLE these cheaters, not work against them. I hope they reconsider.