Landfall does not trigger with planeswalker runes

Options
Maveric78f
Maveric78f Posts: 50
I have noticed that, at least with Prism Array, but I think it is the same with the other landfall cards, the landfall does not trigger when matching 4 or more planeswalker runes.
On the opposite, Part the Waterveil triggers when matching 5 or more planeswalker runes.

That seems inconsistent to me.

Comments

• Plastic
    Plastic Posts: 762 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Brought up before. Loyalty gems aren't the equivalent to lands in paper. It makes sense that they don't trigger landfall abilities.
  • Blorbleflorp
    Blorbleflorp Posts: 47 Just Dropped In
    Options
    Plastic wrote:
    Brought up before. Loyalty gems aren't the equivalent to lands in paper. It makes sense that they don't trigger landfall abilities.
    Did you read his post entirely? It works on one, possible more, cards when matching 5 runes. That's a bug, or poor code.
  • Plastic
    Options
    Plastic wrote:
    Did you read his post entirely? It works on one, possible more, cards when matching 5 runes. That's a bug, or poor code.

It's a new bug for Part the Waterveil, to me at least. Loyalty matches of 4+ never triggered anything that has "landfall" on it for as long as I've been playing and that's how it's supposed to work. So I'd say report that interaction as a bug.

Also, most decks using Waterveil have a LOT of ramp cards in them. Are you certain there wasn't a separate landfall on the board at the same time of the loyalty 4+ gem trigger? Recreating the scenario in video is always useful.
  • blacklotus
    blacklotus Posts: 589 Critical Contributor
    Options
    my prism array does trigger on matching landfall or 5gems.

note the definition of landfall in mtgPQ: landfall = matching 4 coloured gems.

matching 4 loyalty or void gems is NOT landfall.

matching 5 of any gems (coloured, loyalty or void) will trigger landfall or any match 5 ability.

this is how mtgPQ works.
  • Maveric78f
    Options
    I'll have to check this, but I remember times when Waterveil triggered and not Prism Array, which is inconsistent with your saying.
  • Plastic
    Options
    I just read the cards to be certain. Part the Waterveil reads "Whenever you match 5 or more gems..." which wouldn't necessarily exclude loyalty. "Landfall" definitely excludes loyalty.