Crash at start of match - counts against me as Retreat?

Options
Several times recently, about once per day, I have encountered a crash at the start of a match, immediately after the tiles fall into place. The game just quits and I am back at the home screen of my device. The crash itself is only mildly annoying, but the in-game effects of it are absolutely devious. The system counts this as a retreat, causing me to lose significant health (players taking > 1 hour to recover), lose all of the boosts that I have applied to the match (which had probably cost me ISO), and lose points and ranking in the case of PvP.

I know that it is important to prevent cheating, such as people intentionally killing the game if they don't like the board layout, but this is just maddening. Given how frequently the game crashes just at that instant that the tiles drop - it isn't just me, many others have complained of this as well - I think that the game should not take any of the above punitive actions against the player in this case. Perhaps additional logic is needed to catch cheaters vs. victims of crashes. If the board has been on screen for say 3 or 4 seconds, or any move has been made, then and only then consider the match to have "started" and from that point forward, the punitive actions should be taken to prevent cheats.
Failed to load the poll.

Comments

• AdamMagus
    AdamMagus Posts: 363 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Also experienced two crashes at start of match yesterday, am on a Nexus 7, I've been unable to replicate the crash, hope it doesn't happen again, it sucks having my Hulk, Spiderman and Magneto take so much damage due to the crash flagging me as a retreat
  • I have also many crashes like You said (sony Xperia M, android 4.1.2) icon_e_sad.gif But it's happen since about 2 weeks, before that, I never had even single crash. Maybe some patch was broken, pls devs look at this problem, so many boost was lost icon_e_sad.gif
  • Again today, lost 2 hours of health plus costly boosts. icon_evil.gif
  • Dayv
    Dayv Posts: 4,449 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    This is the only safe response to a crash, otherwise people could force-exit out of any unfavorable match. The developers should (and probably do) spend their time focusing on minimizing crashes so there are as few innocent players harmed by this behavior as possible.
  • darkmagearcanis
    Options
    DayvBang wrote:
    This is the only safe response to a crash, otherwise people could force-exit out of any unfavorable match. The developers should (and probably do) spend their time focusing on minimizing crashes so there are as few innocent players harmed by this behavior as possible.

While I do understand this logic that fact that a crash forces you to not just lose but takes the characters health and any boosts that you used is unacceptable. Especially when the boosts that you use now cost HP to get back.
  • Dayv
    Options
    While I do understand this logic that fact that a crash forces you to not just lose but takes the characters health and any boosts that you used is unacceptable. Especially when the boosts that you use now cost HP to get back.
    If it did not use your boosts and health, but still counted as a loss, the problem would still exist. If you saw you were about to lose a fight, you could force-quit out of the game to preserve your boosts and health packs. There needs to be absolutely no benefit to the player in force-quitting the game, or otherwise forcing a crash, or people definitely will abuse it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cheating_i ... connecting <-- MPQ is different because it's not a real-time PvP game, but the effects are very similar.
  • darkmagearcanis
    Options
    DayvBang wrote:
    If it did not use your boosts and health, but still counted as a loss, the problem would still exist. If you saw you were about to lose a fight, you could force-quit out of the game to preserve your boosts and health packs. There needs to be absolutely no benefit to the player in force-quitting the game, or otherwise forcing a crash, or people definitely will abuse it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cheating_i ... connecting <-- MPQ is different because it's not a real-time PvP game, but the effects are very similar.

Like I said before I understand the logic behind it. But I should not be penalized for the system crashing on its own. Especially If I just bought the HP boosts from which I bought the HP with my money to support the game.

Also, by this logic it is being shown that it is ok for the developers to cheat any players out of money when they see fit by the occasional "oops a server went down accidentally".
  • I don't know, but lately, especially after the recent update, I've been experiencing multiple crashes per day. It's unacceptable, especially when we're in a PvP tournament. It makes playing lightning rounds nearly impossible. Within the same lightning round, it crashed twice on me.
  • Same. Over 10 crashes for me today
  • Dayv
    Options
    Like I said before I understand the logic behind it. But I should not be penalized for the system crashing on its own. Especially If I just bought the HP boosts from which I bought the HP with my money to support the game.

Also, by this logic it is being shown that it is ok for the developers to cheat any players out of money when they see fit by the occasional "oops a server went down accidentally".
    If you lost boosts you paid HP for, you should absolutely open a support ticket and ask for the HP or boosts to be refunded. I would be disappointed if they didn't help you.

I'm not trying to gloss over D3P's responsibility here, the crashes do negatively impact honest players pretty badly when they happen. I'm just saying that the negative effects of making a crash totally cancel a match would be far worse as it would enable a wave of exploits. What they need to do is help negatively impacted payers while driving their efforts to make the game as stable as possible. And if some hardware simply can't be trusted to run the game without repeatedly hosing the player, either list it as an unsupported platform or prevent the game from loading on it in the first place.