***** Doctor Strange (Sorcerer Supreme) *****

Cthulhu
Cthulhu ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 410 Site Admin
edited February 2017 in Character Details
[anchor=starlord3]Doctor Strange (Sorcerer Supreme)[/anchor] drstrange_icon.png
5 Star Rarity (Epic)
At Max Level: HP: 35842 Tile damage: 490/73/630/560/67/80/4.3x
    Crimson Bands of Cyttorak 9 bluetile.png
    By Cyttorak’s seventh crimson band - let this brilliant whip ensnare your hand! Converts a chosen basic tile into a 2-turn Countdown tile, then stuns the target for 2 turns. The tile destroys 2 enemy AP of its color and deals 446 damage each turn.
      Level 2: Converts chosen tile into a 2-turn Countdown tile, then stuns the target for 2 turns. Countdown Tile destroys 2 enemy AP of its color and deals 558 damage each turn. Level 3: Converts chosen tile into a 2-turn Countdown tile, then stuns the target for 2 turns. Countdown Tile destroys 3 enemy AP of its color and deals 1004 damage each turn. Level 4: Converts chosen tile into a 3-turn Countdown tile, then stuns the target for 3 turns. Countdown Tile destroys 3 enemy AP of its color and deals 1004 damage each turn. Level 5: Converts chosen tile into a 3-turn Countdown tile, then stuns the target for 3 turns. Countdown Tile destroys 3 enemy AP of its color and deals 1589 damage each turn.
    Max Level:
      Level 3: Converts chosen tile into a 2-turn Countdown tile, then stuns the target for 2 turns. Countdown Tile destroys 3 enemy AP of its color and deals 4032 damage each turn. Level 4: Converts chosen tile into a 3-turn Countdown tile, then stuns the target for 3 turns. Countdown Tile destroys 3 enemy AP of its color and deals 4032 damage each turn. Level 5: Converts chosen tile into a 3-turn Countdown tile, then stuns the target for 3 turns. Countdown Tile destroys 3 enemy AP of its color and deals 6384 damage each turn.

Eye of Agamotto 11 purpletile.png
      By Agammotto’s all-revealing light - let the Eye see through your plans with mystic sight! If one does not exist, creates a colorless eye tile that activates each turn, removing a random enemy Attack tile. The Eye tile can’t be matched and doesn’t fall.
        Level 2: The colorless Eye tile removes a random enemy Attack or Protect tile. Level 3: The colorless Eye tile removes a random enemy Attack, Protect, or Strike tile. Level 4: The colorless Eye tile removes a random enemy Attack, Protect, Strike, or Invisibility tile. Level 5: The colorless Eye tile removes a random enemy Attack, Protect, Strike, Invisibility or Trap tile.
      Max Level:
        Level 3: The colorless Eye tile removes a random enemy Attack, Protect, or Strike tile. Level 4: The colorless Eye tile removes a random enemy Attack, Protect, Strike, or Invisibility tile. Level 5: The colorless Eye tile removes a random enemy Attack, Protect, Strike, Invisibility or Trap tile.

Flames of the Faltine 14 yellowtile.png
        By the Flawless Faltine’s flame - let the power you possess strike you the same! Deal 1533 damage.

(PASSIVE) Whenever an enemy fires a power, deal 557 damage to the target.
          Level 2: Deal 1840 damage and 557 damage the target enemy fires a power. Level 3: Deal 2146 damage and 668 damage the target enemy fires a power. Level 4: Deals 2579 and 1003 damage the target enemy fires a power. Level 5: Deals 3986 and 1448 damage the target enemy fires a power.
        Max Level:
          Level 3: Deal 8624 damage and 3136 damage the target enemy fires a power. Level 4: Deals 11088 damage and 4032 damage the target enemy fires a power. Level 5: Deals 16016 damage and 5824 damage the target enemy fires a power.

Comments

• Spiritclaw
          Spiritclaw Posts: 397 Mover and Shaker
          With one yellow cover, seems like he would solo early minion waves with great speed.
        • notamutant
          notamutant Posts: 855 Critical Contributor
          Cthulhu wrote:

Level 3: Converts chosen tile into a 2-turn Countdown tile, then stuns the target for 2 turns. Countdown Tile destroys 3 enemy AP of its color and deals 4032 damage each turn. Level 4: Converts chosen tile into a 3-turn Countdown tile, then stuns the target for 3 turns. Countdown Tile destroys 3 enemy AP of its color and deals 4032 damage each turn. Level 5: Converts chosen tile into a 3-turn Countdown tile, then stuns the target for 3 turns. Countdown Tile destroys 3 enemy AP of its color and deals 6384 damage each turn.
          [/list] [/list]

Level 3: The colorless Eye tile removes a random enemy Attack, Protect, or Strike tile. Level 4: The colorless Eye tile removes a random enemy Attack, Protect, Strike, or Invisibility tile. Level 5: The colorless Eye tile removes a random enemy Attack, Protect, Strike, Invisibility or Trap tile.
          [/list] [/list]

By the Flawless Faltine’s flame - let the power you possess strike you the same! Deal 1533 damage.

(PASSIVE) Whenever an enemy fires a power, deal 808 damage to the target.

Level 3: Deal 8624 damage and 4547 damage the target enemy fires a power. Level 4: Deals 11088 damage and 5846 damage the target enemy fires a power. Level 5: Deals 16016 damage and 8445 damage the target enemy fires a power.
          [/list][/list]

First off - what is with the lowest health in the 5 star range, AND no healing powers? Normally characters only have little health if they heal or have a crazy strong passive (like Hood). Heck, even Peggy has a crazy passive but still mid-tier health for 4 stars, although her power stops working around half health. I guess the question is, does the power of his yellow passive make up for the lower health, which we can look at later.

Regarding the blue - originally I thought the stun would only happen if the countdown resolves, but immediate stun is good. AI won't place the CD properly and thus will get matched away on defense a lot, but on offense you should see it resolve normally. At 5 covers, 18k damage + 3 turn stun + 3 AP destruction is good for only 9 AP. A bit concerned about damage over time skills due to healing potential in OML, but I supposed stunning OML can allow you to take him out quickly.

Regarding purple - No scaling. High AP cost to use. No invisibility tiles currently exist in 5 star realm, so no reason to be above 3 covers. Also no trap tiles, but those aren't even common in 4 stars. If it took out countdown tiles, it might be worth it. Imagine him killing Phoenix with his yellow passive and then destroying her revive tile on his turn. Alas, he doesn't have that ability. Not really worth the high cost, but it can nullify OML and Phoenix teams a bit.

Yellow - this is his specialty. dealing 8k damage every time a power is used. It is not clear if the damage is dealt to the character that uses the skill, or simply to the currently targeted enemy. This will make a big difference in usefulness. The 16k damage active for 14 yellow is a ripoff, but one of the only active yellows in 5 star land (OML only useful on transform and BB never useful).

He seems like an interesting character with a bit of everything, but I am just really concerned with his low health he won't last long enough in a match to do that much damage, especially on defense. In the players hands he can provide an alternative to BSS for taking down Phx and OML teams.

For teammates, you need green, red, and black color coverage for rainbow. I think I would use OML with him.
        • babinro
          babinro Posts: 771 Critical Contributor
          Initial Impressions:

Blue: Overpowered.
          I'm amazed by how much this skill gets away with for the cost.
          1) Choose the board placement to ensure it has a good chance of sticking around.
          2) Allows you to drain up to 9 AP of your chosen colour over the next 3 turns.
          3) Stuns for 3 turns guaranteed.
          4) Deals up to 18,900 damage.

This skill is incredible board and control for a relatively low cost and reasonably low risk. The odds of this being removed in just one turn seems extremely low since you can place it. By turn 2 I'd say you've already 'won' in terms of value....turn 3 is flat out overkill if you make it that far.

In terms of game play you can use this to stun the biggest main threat on the board while draining the 2nd most threatening skill by another player so it won't fire. Then you have 3 turns to kill the primary threat.

Purple: Terrible
          This skill is really interesting because it FINALLY gives us access to a trap tile removal skill. It's also a really cool skill in terms of what it does and the sense of lore.

With that said, here's where things fall flat:
          1) It doesn't target CD tiles.
          This limits the skills usefulness in 5* tier where CD removal is sorely needed.

2) It costs 11 AP and deals no damage.
          Refer to 4* Jean who spends 10AP, destroys 6 special tiles and deals AoE damage without any conditions whatsoever. Granted, this is 5* tier so a direct comparison isn't entirely fair but I think it's fair to say 11 AP is asking too much for a tile that's TOUGH to remove but NOT IMPOSSIBLE to remove.

3) Speed.
          Look at how quickly Phx or OML flood the board with strikes. Look at how fast many 4* tier characters do the same. Removing 1 tile a turn is great but given the cost of the skill it's REALLY SLOW.

This skill should probably convert tiles to your side if it's going to cost 11. Or more realistically it should cost 9, blue should cost 11, and purple should target CD's as well.

Yellow - Amazing
          The active portion of this skill is pretty mediocre but yellow damage skills are always welcome. Where this skill shines and potentially straddles the line of being overpowered is with it's passive.

8445 damage is nasty. Especially when you consider many games require setup skills like Phx going purple into red...or OML going black into yellow, into red.

What prevents me from calling this overpowered is Doctor Strange's 35,842 health. Within 5* tier of play this is VERY low. It's low enough that you can tactically down him with match damage and minimal skills being fired. You can also stun him. There are strategic work arounds which will make it interesting within 5* tier of play.

Build
          5/3/5 - Easy. I'm sure there are narrow situations where you'll run 5 purple but really it's doing everything you typically need it to do at 3 covers.

Overall
          I'm not comfortable ranking Strange without hands on. In PvE he's clearly a monster and I'd say top tier material. In PvP we'll have to wait and see. His health puts him in Iron First or Hood range for his tier. It's entirely possible he'll be a non-issue in PvP when levels are reasonably equal.

I think it's safe to assume that Strange belongs in the mid-upper tier of 5* tier. His performance in PvP will determine wither it's top tier or just middle tier.
        • notamutant
          notamutant Posts: 855 Critical Contributor
          babinro wrote:
          Initial Impressions:

Blue: Overpowered.
          I'm amazed by how much this skill gets away with for the cost.
          1) Choose the board placement to ensure it has a good chance of sticking around.
          2) Allows you to drain up to 9 AP of your chosen colour over the next 3 turns.
          3) Stuns for 3 turns guaranteed.
          4) Deals up to 18,900 damage.

I read it as only stealing 3 AP when the countdown resolves, not every turn. Some of his skill descriptions weren't clear (like with yellow targeting). At only 3 AP destroyed, it isn't as OP.
        • Sm0keyJ0e
          Sm0keyJ0e Posts: 730 Critical Contributor
          It is not clear if the damage is dealt to the character that uses the skill, or simply to the currently targeted enemy. This will make a big difference in usefulness.

Seems rather obvious it's to the current targeted enemy: "(PASSIVE) Whenever an enemy fires a power, deal 808 damage to the target."
        • wymtime
          wymtime Posts: 3,757 Chairperson of the Boards
          In the 3* version his yellow also heals the team with the passive. Will the 5* passive also heal the tread? I don't think 8k passive damage is bad especially when you look at someone foreign Phoenix purple or SS blue.
        • Cthulhu
          Cthulhu ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 410 Site Admin
          5 Star Doctor Strange does not have the heal ability with the passive, he has the damage with using that power in addition to the passive.

drstrange_icon.png - maybe I have to comment with the icon to get it to show in the post above...? worked for the three star version...
        • GrumpySmurf1002
          GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
          babinro wrote:
          Purple: Terrible
          This skill is really interesting because it FINALLY gives us access to a trap tile removal skill. It's also a really cool skill in terms of what it does and the sense of lore.

I agree overall but my question here is: Will it remove when Strange is downed? Because if not, having that tile constantly hanging around might justify the value a little. Not enough to justify more than a 3 purple build, but still value.
        • DAC169
          DAC169 Posts: 122 Tile Toppler
          Some questions here -
          Cthulhu wrote:
            If one does not exist,..
            What happens if one does exist? Does it disable the power or let us relocate it or what?

Cthulhu wrote:

(PASSIVE) Whenever an enemy fires a power, deal 808 damage to the target.
                Level 2: Deal 1840 damage and 970 damage the target enemy fires a power. Level 3: Deal 2146 damage and 1131 damage the target enemy fires a power. Level 4: Deals 2579 and 1454 damage the target enemy fires a power. Level 5: Deals 3986 and 2101 damage the target enemy fires a power.
              Max Level:
                Level 3: Deal 8624 damage and 4547 damage the target enemy fires a power. Level 4: Deals 11088 damage and 5846 damage the target enemy fires a power. Level 5: Deals 16016 damage and 8445 damage the target enemy fires a power.
              Can we get clarification on targeting? And I see a cost, but no active part listed.
            • Polares
              Polares Posts: 2,643 Chairperson of the Boards
              Well this one also looks easy to build, 99% of times his best build will be 5/3/5 no doubts there.

Blue is very good, placing the tile makes all the difference in the world when using coutndown powers. Getting the stun just when the power is fired is also really nice and makes it useful (delayed stuns like GG are not that useful). 18k dmg for 9 is also nice (OML is the only one that might soak this as is dmg over time). This is a jack of all trades abiloty done right ( not like Cap's )

Purple. Meh, a bit expensive, but ok

Yellow. Extremely good. The active is ok, but the passive... this is Amazing. It is BB black level good.

Strange is The Monster of PvE, specially for goon nodes, just with his passive will obliterate all enemies in a heartbeat. He is top tier in PvE, but his life pool makes him just ok for PvP, I think he might be a nice third char for sim.
            • Vhailorx
              Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
              I agree with these assessments. 5/3/5 all the way. Purple just isnt good enoigh relative to the other two.

Yellow(passive) and blue are very strong (arguably bb black levels of strength) and are his key abilities. Not sure if the low health is enough to hold him in check. He may be the hood of 5* land.
            • Arckon
              Arckon Posts: 9 Just Dropped In
              edited November 2016
              I lot of complaints are voiced on these forums so I think it's important to give Cthulhu massive props for getting Strange's stats out in advance of the character's release. Great comunication, thank you!
            • CrookedKnight
              CrookedKnight Posts: 2,579 Chairperson of the Boards
              DAC169 wrote:
              And I see a cost, but no active part listed.

The active part is the first damage number. At each level there's one number for when you fire the power using yellow AP, and a second number for when it triggers passively as a response to the enemy firing a power.
            • Polares
              Polares Posts: 2,643 Chairperson of the Boards
              Strange is going to be a great partner for PH (or to some degree to OML), almost not color overlap, and Strange countdown will benefit greatly from strike tiles (of course yellow will benefit greatly too). This might be a very good team for PvE.

I like that Devs are starting to use different hitpoint values. I thing it was a missed opportunity to raise a little bit more SS hitpoints and match damage when he was buffed. This is something I miss since 3 times (tanks and glass canons made the game more interesting).
            • d3guser
              d3guser Posts: 30 Just Dropped In
              Please reduce the Yellow to 12 AP active inline with Silver surfer Blue or 5 star Black widow Red Powers.

Although we have a passive to compensate it should be treated as a novelty and so 14 AP is too much and not on par with other 5 stars.
            • Nellyson
              Nellyson Posts: 354 Mover and Shaker
              Cthulhu wrote:
              [anchor=starlord3]Doctor Strange (Sorcerer Supreme)[/anchor] drstrange_icon.png
              5 Star Rarity (Epic)
              At Max Level: HP: 35842 Tile damage: 490/73/630/560/67/80/4.3x
                By Agammotto’s all-revealing light - let the Eye see through your plans with mystic sight! If one does not exist, creates a colorless eye tile that activates each turn, removing a random enemy Attack tile. The Eye tile can’t be matched and doesn’t fall.
                  Level 2: The colorless Eye tile removes a random enemy Attack or Protect tile. Level 3: The colorless Eye tile removes a random enemy Attack, Protect, or Strike tile. Level 4: The colorless Eye tile removes a random enemy Attack, Protect, Strike, or Invisibility tile. Level 5: The colorless Eye tile removes a random enemy Attack, Protect, Strike, Invisibility or Trap tile.
                Max Level:

Ok, so does this skill have a countdown attached to it??? Cause the way it sounds now is that you fire this skill and it stays on the board forever! That is unless it is blown up by board destroyers or in the line of a match 4 or 5. So this could be a good skill and expensive because once you fire it, you really never have to fire it again.
              • Arckon
                Arckon Posts: 9 Just Dropped In
                Not to nitpick but it looks like the TU ap match value is wrong, 80points is way to low for a 5star. When you check on the TU AP match damage could you reconfirm the Health total. I'm hoping is 3k low like Black Suit Spiderman is. By the way the forms still show BSS's health 43.5k when it's actually 46.5k.
              • ErikPeter
                ErikPeter Posts: 719 Critical Contributor
                Please reduce the Yellow to 12 AP active inline with Silver surfer Blue or 5 star Black widow Red Powers.

Although we have a passive to compensate it should be treated as a novelty and so 14 AP is too much and not on par with other 5 stars.

It's not his primary attack--he does half the damage for 0 AP every time they use a power. It won't fire until late in the match, if at all, prioritizing more efficient cheaper yellow powers (if you have any) or, for example, make it more likely Logan transforms against the opponent when he's teamed with Dr. S. I know Cap is bad right now but buffing this Yellow would make him even worse.

It's not going to get fired much and it's not supposed to; it's expensive and bad AP-per-damage, but at least it gives you something to spend Yellow on if you happen to get a bunch of it and probably will surprise people on defense since they forget it exists. It's better than nothing; most of the time I'd save up for the little tap rather than use GG's yellow, for example, because saving 1 turn doesn't often matter.
              • Melevorn
                Melevorn Posts: 137 Tile Toppler
                Cthulhu wrote:
                Rather than Crimson bands can they please be Cerulean bands - to match the active tile colour!?!
              • bpcontra
                bpcontra Posts: 176
                His yellow is an absolute beast in PvE....wow