Starlord game design issues.

Options
Phumade
Phumade Posts: 2,477 Chairperson of the Boards
edited November 2016 in MPQ Character Discussion
A few things I noticed about the Starlord revamp.

1. Should the sentry gunners activate SL yellow? At this point I don't think they trigger SL yellow. I don't know if because their tile destruction is a passive power or if this is a fundamental design question of how the ultron goons were originally designed. In anycase, it seems that the Sentries should trigger SL yellow.

2. SL really illustrates the problem with how they use animations and banners. I can see that the animations run as a consequence of order of operation, but it also has the effect of stalling matches beyond (what I believe is) the designer's intent. We've all see this problem as it relates to LOKI green, Peggy blue, IM recharge, and basically every animation that displays on a CD.

In SL case I feel the issue is two fold. It seems an animation fires twice. once when the enemy casts and and the tile resolves. Ideally, once of these animations should be removed. I think there are some other possible approaches that could reduce display time, but I'll leave that to the programmers to think about how order of operation questions should be resolved

Comments

• CrookedKnight
    CrookedKnight Posts: 2,579 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Passive powers don't trigger Everyone With Me, and all the sentries have only passive powers, so that part is working as designed.

I totally agree on point 2, though. Too much shiny Star-Lord!
  • HaywireII
    HaywireII Posts: 568 Critical Contributor
    Options
    So most annoying defensive team to slow down matches now is Starlord, Carnage and Luke Cage now? 3 passives that fire on every power plus double banners for one?
  • mpqr7
    mpqr7 Posts: 2,642 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    HaywireII wrote:
    So most annoying defensive team to slow down matches now is Starlord, Carnage and Luke Cage now? 3 passives that fire on every power plus double banners for one?

The good thing is that no one will ever want to play against you in pvp, since each match will take a very long time.
  • Mr_Sinister
    Mr_Sinister Posts: 356 Mover and Shaker
    edited October 2016
    Options
    100℅ agree animations and banners are out of control. If they want to keep them, they should happen during the move without it slowing down the tiles from doing there thing, like super puzzle fighter.
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    single post....anyway. I completely agree on the SL animation 2x for each sub-portion of the ability (putting the cd down and cd reaching 0) is completely ridiculous. I just counted 24 animations in wave 1 in one of the last nodes of eots. and I still had 4 more waves to go!!! please fix that part of him. don't touch anything else tho - I'm sure they can fix his purple in a matter of hours but this....this might take months.
  • elwhiteninja
    elwhiteninja Posts: 209 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Phumade wrote:
    1. Should the sentry gunners activate SL yellow? At this point I don't think they trigger SL yellow. I don't know if because their tile destruction is a passive power or if this is a fundamental design question of how the ultron goons were originally designed. In anycase, it seems that the Sentries should trigger SL passive

Passive only goes off when ap is spent. So even though a few goons have non passive abilities they do not trigger.

But plus 1 on the animation being way to explicit. Imo it should also tell us what kind of AP we get from the resolve. Even if it's a Diablo stile damage number or something. Because it's too hard to tell unless all the sudden you can use an ability
  • sinnerjfl
    sinnerjfl Posts: 1,260 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Agreed, Star-Lord's yellow animation was fine when the power was an active and you'd see it once in a while.

Now you see the animation constantly and its very incovenient.
  • kidicarus
    kidicarus Posts: 420 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Please change this. He's awesome in the goon nodes but not when he's taking maybe an extra 10 secs a turn from all the new CDs coming in and the old CDs resolving. Heaven forbid you also use another CD dependent character like war machine where his banner goes up for every CD tile.
  • Quest34
    Quest34 Posts: 48 Just Dropped In
    Options
    Just agreeing with everything stated below. He would be awesome if his animations would fixed.
  • Skygazing
    Skygazing Posts: 165 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Phumade wrote:
    We've all see this problem as it relates to LOKI green, Peggy blue, IM recharge, and basically every animation that displays on a CD.

Just wanted to make a note of this because no one else has. Peggy Blue is far and away much better than any of the listed examples. If anything it's an example for how similar passive animations should work. Each CD has a quick understated blip (maybe half a second if that), and only the last one triggers a cool but quick animation (maybe two seconds).