Fix MMR to stop protecting "whales"

MLDB
MLDB Posts: 33 Just Dropped In
Let me preface this by saying my roster, while decent for a vet, isn't top tier or anything like that. I can still put up a good fight and punch above my weight class given the chance. However, I am here to discuss that "chance."

We have complained multiple times about MMR being broken in various ways, from pairing up against the same 3-5 people repeatedly, to people who can queue high point players right from 0. We have mentioned numerous time that MMR "breaks" when you're at a high score, allowing you to see everyone below you, including rosters much weaker than your own (leading to that phenomenon known as "seal clubbing"). However, this "MMR break" does not permit you to queue people who MMR deems above your level. No matter how high I score in a PVP event, there will be a point where I will look at my leader board and see someone floating at a higher level score than me, and no matter how much iso I throw at the machine to try and get them in a match, it won't let me. Why? Because they have more champed 5s than me. "But shouldn't you be happy? If you can't see them, they can't see you!" WRONG I have been tripled by rosters "higher" than me because they obviously can see me. I can only hit them through these retals. I spent at least 10 matches going back and forth between 2 "whales" in SHIELD simulator (they had 460-470+ SS/Phoenix/OML vs my 450 OML + 2 champed 4s; this is not difficult match, Boss Rush was worse). This should not be the only way my score can advance above a certain point- waiting around for a floating whale to hit me so I can retaliate for more points.

So why is this a big issue?
1. It limits the number of match opponents you have at higher score levels. If this sounds like a broken record, it's because this is the BIGGEST problem with PVP MMR system
2. It permits these whales to float for days on end without spending any HP, not as a product of their fighting ability, but because matchmaking is protecting them from view
3. It permits concentration of points in the upper echelon that cannot be touched or challenged unless they purposely **** their roster (baking, grilling, whatever you call it) so that more people can see their team. Sometimes even these "grills" can't be queued unless you're a whale yourself.
4. Reason #3 is why after the "PVP caking fix" the leaderboards haven't changed one bit. Nothing about the fix changed the underlying MMR mechanic that allows whales to concentrate points- the innate mechanic that prevents a majority of others from queuing them.

These above things are fundamentally creating a broken environment that favors the 1%. Whales already get a strong roster that can pound most others into dirt, they don't need MMR to shield them. They should actually BUY shields like the rest of us.