This game is trying really hard to tell me not to buy Ulrich

Options
yunnnn
yunnnn Posts: 168 Tile Toppler
edited November 2016 in MtGPQ General Discussion
My 30$ is sitting right here.
5zlbvd.jpg

I want to spend it on Ulrich or whatever exclusive mythic is available. This game has potential and the deckbuilding is fun; why not support it? My whalestincts are primed and ready to dive!

But every moral and neural fiber is telling me this: NO! DON'T SPEND MONEY ON THESE GUYS, DONT DO IT YOU MORON

[list=3]1. The game isn't even stable, let's not pretend it is.
2. There is no sense of progression or "good feels" involved with opening multiple big boxes.
3. The events have either terrible rewards or terribly useless rewards.[/list]

I would love someone who still spends money on this game to step forth and explain why.

Comments

• Morphis
    Morphis Posts: 975 Critical Contributor
    Options
    yunnnn wrote:
    My 30$ is sitting right here.
    5zlbvd.jpg

I want to spend it on Ulrich or whatever exclusive mythic is available. This game has potential and the deckbuilding is fun; why not support it? My whalestincts are primed and ready to dive!

But every moral and neural fiber is telling me this: NO! DON'T SPEND MONEY ON THESE GUYS, DONT DO IT YOU MORON

[list=3]1. The game isn't even stable, let's not pretend it is.
    2. There is no sense of progression or "good feels" involved with opening multiple big boxes.
    3. The events have either terrible rewards or terribly useless rewards.[/list]

I would love someone who still spends money on this game to step forth and explain why.
    Well in my opinion the game is overall good.
    This cause the gameplay is fantastic and the improvements brought(took too much time IMO but we have it now) were great.
    On the other hand the communication is non existent, the shop pricing is way over any reasonable amount and the amount of bugs is too high and "constant" over time cause if we are lucky they fix as many as new ones introduced with each new content.

I bought jace2.
    I did cause it was worth it considering I've been playing since release for free and the actual pricing was not too high.
    I think that amount(15 bucks) is what my experience is worth until now so even if I could wait a couple weeks to get him free, I chose to support devs.

Any amount higher than that is over this game value IMO.
  • leromeo
    leromeo Posts: 19
    Options
    To the OP, here's some insight why you shouldn't spend money on Ulrich or anything in this game.

If you could spend money on something that will last you a lifetime, wouldn't you do it? Of course you would.
    If you could spend money on something that you have actual physical possession of, wouldn't you do it? Yes, again.

The problem here is neither of those two questions above will ever happen in this game. The items you buy will NOT last you a lifetime, nor will you have actual physical possession of. The thing i'm referring to that WOULD fit this bill is an actual video game on a video game system (PS, XBOX).
    You will own those for as long as you want, and the game you buy for it will be yours for as long as you want it.
    Plus, that one game you buy for 30 bucks can be played endlessly (especially if it has replay-ability), and you won't have to fork over 100's of 1000's of dollars to keep up with updates that will never happen because once a game is made and sold, all the bugs have been fixed prior to it being available to the public.

This game will NOT be here forever, and you will NEVER physically own any part of it.

That is why you should never buy something that won't actually be yours, to include something as simple as Ulrich.
  • Corn_Noodles
    Corn_Noodles Posts: 477 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I have not yet bought Ulrich but I had planned to this weekend. With the fact they can't keep an event up and running (costing me points), I don't have any desire to reward them with my money.
  • Nitymp
    Nitymp Posts: 320 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I have not yet bought Ulrich but I had planned to this weekend. With the fact they can't keep an event up and running (costing me points), I don't have any desire to reward them with my money.

This is exactly how i feel. Was going to buy him once i calmed down from the awful EC event and how much I hated it, hoping that it might ne a fun weekend with a NoP event or something. But nope, gonna keep my money now cus the devs sure as poop don't deserve it!
  • Steeme
    Steeme Posts: 784 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Ulrich is as an incredible purchase as Olivia.
  • Plastic
    Plastic Posts: 762 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Steeme wrote:

If money is burning holes in your pocket and you think these guys deserve the money, sure. I'm not feeling the latter though.
  • Steeme
    Steeme Posts: 784 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Plastic wrote:
    Steeme wrote:

If money is burning holes in your pocket and you think these guys deserve the money, sure. I'm not feeling the latter though.
    Come on man do you think the people doing the actual work are to blame?
  • shteev
    shteev Posts: 2,031 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Steeme wrote:
    Plastic wrote:
    Steeme wrote:

Come on man do you think the people doing the actual work are to blame?

Yup.
  • viper4724
    viper4724 Posts: 9 Just Dropped In
    Options
    Just to be clear, the only times this game has been unstable is when they are adding new stuff to it. I agree the game has been way too unstable and have spoken to support about it multiple times. On the flip side, this game has progressed amazingly since I first started playing months ago. When I started playing, events were just a feature that they had yet to introduce. Before events, it was almost impossible to consistently gain mana crystals. If you still play the game on a daily basis, obviously the bugs don't bother you that much, and they are consistently dealt with. All media is going digital, and yes these are not physical cards you will hold onto the rest of your life, but this game will be around and available much longer than the physical game consoles and games we have always played growing up. If you like the game, and love something they are selling, it isn't the worst thing to spend money on it.
  • yunnnn
    yunnnn Posts: 168 Tile Toppler
    Options
    viper4724 wrote:
    If you still play the game on a daily basis, obviously the bugs don't bother you that much, and they are consistently dealt with.

Here's 2 anecdotes from 2 states of mind (1 as a noobie player, 1 as an iap player). I hope you can see why bugs can be perceived so differently in 2 different contexts:

Prized Amalgam: I opened this card when I was a beginner and hadn't IAPed yet. I noticed that the game would constantly crash when I played this card, and I just threw it into the back of my collection, never to be seen again. I didn't think much about this card.

Season's Past: I opened this card as the only mythic in a big box that cost me 20$. I played it a couple of times, and noticed that the game would consistently crash when I played this card. Being as it was the only mythic that I received in exchange for 20$, it seems very unfair that I can't even play the card without automatically losing.

Because I spent money in the second case, it feels completely different from a situation where I haven't paid anything at all. Many of the people who are trying to justify D3's actions are in the first camp and need to consider how reactions change when a player becomes a paying member. There are many things that are seemingly acceptable for F2P players that are simply unacceptable for players paying for this product.
  • Leaffe
    Leaffe Posts: 16
    Options
    viper4724 wrote:
    Just to be clear, the only times this game has been unstable is when they are adding new stuff to it. I agree the game has been way too unstable and have spoken to support about it multiple times. On the flip side, this game has progressed amazingly since I first started playing months ago. When I started playing, events were just a feature that they had yet to introduce. Before events, it was almost impossible to consistently gain mana crystals. If you still play the game on a daily basis, obviously the bugs don't bother you that much, and they are consistently dealt with. All media is going digital, and yes these are not physical cards you will hold onto the rest of your life, but this game will be around and available much longer than the physical game consoles and games we have always played growing up. If you like the game, and love something they are selling, it isn't the worst thing to spend money on it.

That's not necessarily true. Myself and at least most of the people in my coalition just experienced DeNA's closure of almost all of their Western Hemisphere games. Spending a ton of money and then watching it go away because the company decides the game was not profitable enough sucks, but it is inevitable for any mobile game. At the end of the day, it costs a significant amount of money to develop and maintain for a mobile game, and if the game is not generating money, it will be axed.

The biggest problem is that people *want* to spend money (see OP). There are just some things holding people back.