MPQ At Marvel.com: Dr. Strange Arrives With A New Event!

Comments

• veny
    veny Posts: 834 Critical Contributor
    edited October 2016
    "Lastly, there will be three, ten item Limited Vaults (one for for each sub-chapter) with one item being a pack for the special Legendary Store. The last mission of each sub-chapter will give you a token for each of the vaults. Additional tokens can also be purchased."
    - Do i understand correctly that there will be three vaults, each with 10 items?
  • snlf25
    snlf25 Posts: 947 Critical Contributor
    I'll play but my enthusiasm is extremely tempered by recent calamities which will not be named. I'm hoping this event will be Boss but I'm afraid it will have been Rushed.
  • zodiac339
    zodiac339 Posts: 1,948 Chairperson of the Boards
    snlf25 wrote:
    I'll play but my enthusiasm is extremely tempered by recent calamities which will not be named. I'm hoping this event will be Boss but I'm afraid it will have been Rushed.
    I get the sense that you are attempting to hint at something, but I'm not sure what. Something about... Squirrel Girl? In a Starlord dance-off? Why would you be hinting at such a thing?
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    So the Crimson Bands of Cyttorak...require blue AP.
    The Eye of Agamotto, which is green, requires purple AP.
    Flames of the Faltine as yellow? That at least makes sense.

This is as bonkers as Green Goblin not getting a Green move.
  • scottee
    scottee Posts: 1,610 Chairperson of the Boards
    Looks like more 5* countering of OML/Phoenix's strike tiles. BSSM, Black Widow, and now Strange.

That eye basically looks like, "cast once and remove special tiles for the rest of the match".
  • CNash
    CNash Posts: 952 Critical Contributor
    CNash wrote:
    Any word as to whether Kaecilius is playable? He'd be our first new villain since... Green Goblin, I think?

I just checked this and I'm right - GG was our last villain, and Venom before him. The 4* tier has three villains; the 5* tier only has one. I really hope Kaecilius becomes playable...

Else, why not throw the bad guys a bone and give us Gorgon as a playable 4*? I know he's listed as a 3*, but with a tweak to his powers he could fit right into the 4* tier.
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,758 Chairperson of the Boards
    CNash wrote:
    CNash wrote:
    Any word as to whether Kaecilius is playable? He'd be our first new villain since... Green Goblin, I think?

I just checked this and I'm right - GG was our last villain, and Venom before him. The 4* tier has three villains; the 5* tier only has one. I really hope Kaecilius becomes playable...

Else, why not throw the bad guys a bone and give us Gorgon as a playable 4*? I know he's listed as a 3*, but with a tweak to his powers he could fit right into the 4* tier.
    Regardless if they are playable or not there will be another villain in the game which should make PVE less dark avengers if hey continue with new story lines. I will say with the picture it looked like there were new goons and that could be good or completely bad like the original version of the symbiots from Venom bomb.
    If he is playable that is an extra added bonus or another 1000 HP for a roster slot.
  • CNash
    wymtime wrote:
    If he is playable that is an extra added bonus or another 1000 HP for a roster slot.

I've given up complaining about the constant flow of new characters. Demiurge is going to continue releasing character after character and there's nothing we can do about it. So I've chosen to focus on character diversity instead. We have a severe lack of playable villains, and given that (most of the time) new character releases don't come with their own new story modes, there's no reason why we can't have more villains. I know that some new release "slots" are reserved for newly-released comics, movies and other tie-ins with Marvel properties, but most of the time the devs are free to choose who they - or we - would like to see next.

New goons are nice too - although I'm always wary of them getting stronger and stronger (i.e. more annoying to fight) as they have to cope with the advancing metagame. Symbiotes are worse than Ultron Sentries are worse than Ninjas are worse than Maggia/HAMMER/SHIELD.
  • Uber303
    Uber303 Posts: 85 Match Maker
    Excellent, legend store with increased drop rate on strange.
    So it'll be time to rinse out the cp I've been hoarding icon_e_biggrin.gif
  • zodiac339
    wymtime wrote:
    Regardless if they are playable or not there will be another villain in the game which should make PVE less dark avengers if hey continue with new story lines. I will say with the picture it looked like there were new goons and that could be good or completely bad like the original version of the symbiots from Venom bomb.
    The problem is, even with new stories, we still wind up having to deal with Dark Avengers. Venom Bomb had plenty of them in the way. Howard the Duck had fewer, but we still crashed the Osborne Family Picnic. Enemy of the State is one of the few I can think of that leaves them out. With the focus on magical and other dimensional enemies, yeah, hopefully no Dark Avengers in this one.
    CNash wrote:

Gorgon doesn't need to be tweaked into 4* tier. Hopefully, we'll be seeing a staggered introduction of 3 and 4 star characters starting with this 3 star Strange. Gorgon is an easy addition to make as is. It's been maybe 2 years now? No reason I can think not to add him.
  • HaywireII
    HaywireII Posts: 568 Critical Contributor
    This event sounds kind of like Amadeus' Inferno. We get 3 nodes then a boss fight after. Didn't inferno have 3 nodes and then Galactus? Too lazy to look it up right now.
  • CNash
    zodiac339 wrote:
    Gorgon doesn't need to be tweaked into 4* tier. Hopefully, we'll be seeing a staggered introduction of 3 and 4 star characters starting with this 3 star Strange. Gorgon is an easy addition to make as is. It's been maybe 2 years now? No reason I can think not to add him.

Ah, ok. I thought the consensus (back when he was released) was that he would be overpowered for the 3* tier if made playable, hence why I thought of making him a 4* with slightly buffed or tweaked abilities. I don't pretend to be an expert on game balance, though.
  • zodiac339
    CNash wrote:
    zodiac339 wrote:

Ah, ok. I thought the consensus (back when he was released) was that he would be overpowered for the 3* tier if made playable, hence why I thought of making him a 4* with slightly buffed or tweaked abilities. I don't pretend to be an expert on game balance, though.
    Any character being fed AP feels overpowered. We usually face Gorgon with red minions, often with black and purple too. Maybe the damage from Debilitating Slash and Awaken the Hand need a balance pass before being added as playable, but Debilitating Slash is like Masterstroke (damage plus AP destruction) without the bonus conditional damage, and I don't believe Awaken the Hand deals as much damage in total as Righteous Uppercut. Gorgon's Gaze, despite the stun length, is attached to a relatively long CD tile. As a character by himself with no accelerator/feeder, I don't feel that he's especially more powerful than many of the other 3 star characters. There's a mission on one of the later days in Enemy of the State where he's paired with SHIELD minions, so no AP feeding. That mission should give a good feel for how strong he actually is. Or just look at his damage compared to his level when he pops up and make the best comparisons to the existing Rares. If anything, it's likely his health being higher than average that's an issue.
  • Strange days are coming...Strange days indeed
  • carrion_pigeons
    carrion_pigeons Posts: 942 Critical Contributor
    I really, really hope they found a way to make the goons fun again. Ninjas are okay when scaled correctly (sans caltrops), but there's no level where ultron goons or symbiotes are fun. Giving goons damage dealing passives is dumb and contrary to the flow of the game. Please remember that the thing that makes the game fun is counterplay, and when you make abilities that minimize counterplay (like Caltrops) in order to make players feel "challenged", you are failing. That isn't challenge. That's irritation.
  • Nick441234
    Nick441234 Posts: 1,496 Chairperson of the Boards
    No doubt the Dark Avengers will be turning up too. I mean, when dont they? icon_lol.gif
  • hodayathink
    hodayathink Posts: 528 Critical Contributor
    No doubt the Dark Avengers will be turning up too. I mean, when dont they? icon_lol.gif

He says while playing a PvE that doesn't feature the Dark Avengers.
  • Quick Fire
    Quick Fire Posts: 67 Match Maker
    Is this a typical pve with rank and progression rewards? Or will it be one player like Ant-Man and Chulk?
  • Polares
    Polares Posts: 2,643 Chairperson of the Boards
    I really, really hope they found a way to make the goons fun again. Ninjas are okay when scaled correctly (sans caltrops), but there's no level where ultron goons or symbiotes are fun. Giving goons damage dealing passives is dumb and contrary to the flow of the game. Please remember that the thing that makes the game fun is counterplay, and when you make abilities that minimize counterplay (like Caltrops) in order to make players feel "challenged", you are failing. That isn't challenge. That's irritation.

I guess this deserves its own thread but I agree with you completely. Goons were all about tactical play and countermeasures, then new types of goons were created and things changed for the worse.

I hope we get info soon about the event and enemies, I guess probably on Monday. I hope, after Boss Rush fiasco, that this event is fun.
  • The Herald
    The Herald Posts: 463 Mover and Shaker
    Quick Fire wrote:
    Is this a typical pve with rank and progression rewards? Or will it be one player like Ant-Man and Chulk?

So, will it be a terrible waste of time that excludes 99% of people playing it or will it be good? :p