A Rank Is Worth A 1,000 Words

Options
bk1234
bk1234 Posts: 2,924 Chairperson of the Boards
edited October 2016 in MtGPQ General Discussion
I'm a pretty consistent player. I play every event, start at the same time (2 hours late) and finish around 85-91% and I get a rare. I like this. There's a lot of cool rares I really want.

Today I finished first in my bracket with a score of only 306. This is 2 losses and 18 missed bonus points. This is not a #1 finish.

This is the result of one or both of two things 1. No one of value wants to play this stupid event and / or 2. The bonuses are either unobtainable or too arduous to reach.

Because I love this game and the challenges of playing really great matches and working hard for my rare-- I'm going to make you an offer, D3:

I will forfeit my first place finish. You can take back my mythic -- it was just another spider anyway and my pack, it was just a bunch of dupes; and in return you will promise to change tomorrow's event to ANYTHING ELSE and never subject us to EC again.

Thanks!

Comments

• shteev
    shteev Posts: 2,031 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Yeah, I'm out.

Have fun with your Emrakul's Corruption.
  • Warrax
    Warrax Posts: 2
    Options
    I second this - this event is exactly what magic shouldn't be - slow, dull and boring
  • zaann85
    zaann85 Posts: 119 Tile Toppler
    Options
    EC is the most unfun event so far followed by Terror in the Shadows.
  • madwren
    madwren Posts: 2,230 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I agree that the event is terrible. When I saw it running again, I actually groaned aloud.

That being said, are you in gold or platinum? Just wondering. I had 312 points and was 26th-28th (I forget).
  • jackvett
    jackvett Posts: 141 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I like how I can't complete many of the secondary objectives because I don't have the efficient kill spells in each color to wipe out the creatures I summon.

Winning games too "early" because of a 2/2 or 3/3 vampire/scion token is the stupidest, most dreary thing imaginable.

Totally fine with this event being taken out back for a beating so it can get some things right in the future. Fun idea, terrible implementation.
  • madwren
    Options
    jackvett wrote:
    I like how I can't complete many of the secondary objectives because I don't have the efficient kill spells in each color to wipe out the creatures I summon.

Winning games too "early" because of a 2/2 or 3/3 vampire/scion token is the stupidest, most dreary thing imaginable.

Totally fine with this event being taken out back for a beating so it can get some things right in the future. Fun idea, terrible implementation.

Yeah, almost all of my missed objectives were because I couldn't kill my own creatures. Winning with 3/3 scion beatdown is pretty ridiculous, as is having to constantly replace my creatures so they don't actually attack because I'm facing a deck that seems to lack any sort of removal or defense.
  • Crimmy
    Crimmy Posts: 16
    Options
    My problem with the event isn't in just how large the number is for each secondary objective, it's that the objectives don't work with each other at all.

With the previous event, Finding the right Madness/Vampire or Spirit/Delirium cards to pair up was great. It offered very different strategies, plains walker, and deck combinations. With this event, you have a very high number of 2 different types of creatures, so you have to dedicate too much of your deck to them, and the matches take incredibly long amounts of time simply destroying your opponents creatures and your own creatures. That's not what this game should be.

If you're going to have 2 creature objectives, either make it so that we can get one or the other but not both, or give some degree of synergy (Even if it is 2 different creatures types with some overlap, such as Vampire and Ally, Human and Knight, Zombie and Shaman, etc. I'd love for those secondary creature types to matter at all).
  • jackvett
    jackvett Posts: 141 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Crimmy wrote:
    If you're going to have 2 creature objectives, either make it so that we can get one or the other but not both, or give some degree of synergy (Even if it is 2 different creatures types with some overlap, such as Vampire and Ally, Human and Knight, Zombie and Shaman, etc. I'd love for those secondary creature types to matter at all).

Or just let them overlap on werewolf cards....please....
  • madwren
    Options
    Or let a werewolf that flips into an Eldrazi count as one.
  • bk1234
    bk1234 Posts: 2,924 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    madwren wrote:
    I agree that the event is terrible. When I saw it running again, I actually groaned aloud.

That being said, are you in gold or platinum? Just wondering. I had 312 points and was 26th-28th (I forget).

I am in Gold and in any other event my score would have been in the 20-25 range which tells me that either people aren't playing or it's just too arduous to get objectives so people are quitting at progression.
  • Tilikum
    Tilikum Posts: 159
    Options
    I, for one, am digging all the people posting on the forums with low post counts recently.
    So if you're a lurker and haven't signed up, feel free to create an account and voice your opinion.
    As consumers, these boards are a powerful tool. (i.e. the Kiora fiasco)
  • JopeX37
    JopeX37 Posts: 138 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I actually enjoy this event. Games are a little grindy but that's kinda my style anyway.
  • madwren
    Options
    bken1234 wrote:
    madwren wrote:

I am in Gold and in any other event my score would have been in the 20-25 range which tells me that either people aren't playing or it's just too arduous to get objectives so people are quitting at progression.

Aye, makes sense to me. I'm in Platinum, and we had a few perfect scores, but not very many. The 14-40 range seemed pretty tightly bunched.
  • Ohboy
    Ohboy Posts: 1,766 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I actually quite like this event.

But that aside, having ties with perfect scores dominate the scoreboard is a recent phenomenon(started last month?). I remember the first few iterations of terrors in the shadows, I could get top 5 after dropping 2 games.
  • motrax
    motrax Posts: 5
    Options
    I've never bothered with the Eldrazi objective, I don't have 20 minutes to devote to a single match to earn 1 WHOLE POINT more at the risk of losing the match and then missing out on 5-6 points.

I honestly think the problem with secondary objectives boils down to the fact that we can only choose 10 cards. It's hard to put enough control and utility cards in when having to throw in an adequate amount of [Vampires/Eldrazi/Werewolves/Madness/Delirium] cards too.

What if they actually let us build a 40 card deck? You know, since they take our 10 cards and Quadruple it anyway and shuffle it into a deck. What if we had the option to toggle a card to be included (1-4) times in our library, and then having less copies would allow us to insert a few extra cards in for variety and a chance to splash into those objectives.

A deck could look like this:

Card A*4
    Card B*4
    Card C*4
    Card D*4
    Card E*4
    Card F*4 --Above 6 are your core cards/creatures/removal etc
    Card G*2
    Card H*2
    Card I*2
    Card J*2 --Next group is a few niche cards to hit objectives, but don't need a ton of
    Card K*3
    Card L*3 --These could be good cards, but perhaps not needing the redundancy of your core cards
    Card M*1
    Card N*1 --These last few cards could be just oddball cards you want to try out with it, or extremely niche cards that you don't ever want or need to have extra copies in your hands

Total is still 40 cards, but allows for some diversity and more creative construction. The above example would still fit on just two screenies, like the current 10 decks do. Decklists will TRULY become a work of art, and we won't have nearly as many carbon-copy decks floating around out there.

Eh, sorry for running this topic-train off the rails Bken... perhaps this idea needs its own thread! icon_idea.gif

Motrax
  • Ohboy
    Options
    motrax wrote:
    I've never bothered with the Eldrazi objective, I don't have 20 minutes to devote to a single match to earn 1 WHOLE POINT more at the risk of losing the match and then missing out on 5-6 points.

I honestly think the problem with secondary objectives boils down to the fact that we can only choose 10 cards. It's hard to put enough control and utility cards in when having to throw in an adequate amount of [Vampires/Eldrazi/Werewolves/Madness/Delirium] cards too.

What if they actually let us build a 40 card deck? You know, since they take our 10 cards and Quadruple it anyway and shuffle it into a deck. What if we had the option to toggle a card to be included (1-4) times in our library, and then having less copies would allow us to insert a few extra cards in for variety and a chance to splash into those objectives.

A deck could look like this:

Card A*4
    Card B*4
    Card C*4
    Card D*4
    Card E*4
    Card F*4 --Above 6 are your core cards/creatures/removal etc
    Card G*2
    Card H*2
    Card I*2
    Card J*2 --Next group is a few niche cards to hit objectives, but don't need a ton of
    Card K*3
    Card L*3 --These could be good cards, but perhaps not needing the redundancy of your core cards
    Card M*1
    Card N*1 --These last few cards could be just oddball cards you want to try out with it, or extremely niche cards that you don't ever want or need to have extra copies in your hands

Total is still 40 cards, but allows for some diversity and more creative construction. The above example would still fit on just two screenies, like the current 10 decks do. Decklists will TRULY become a work of art, and we won't have nearly as many carbon-copy decks floating around out there.

Eh, sorry for running this topic-train off the rails Bken... perhaps this idea needs its own thread! icon_idea.gif

Motrax

How about one further where you actually need multiple copies of a card if you want multiple copies in your deck?

That should stop the rants about dupes for a month or so.
  • majincob
    majincob Posts: 732 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Ohboy wrote:
    How about one further where you actually need multiple copies of a card if you want multiple copies in your deck?

This is a terrible idea. Imagine the wailing and gnashing of teeth. Current drop rates and no trading/crafting would make the game totally inaccessible except to a few elite super-spenders. Not to mention most people have converted all their dupes.
  • Ohboy
    Options
    majincob wrote:
    Ohboy wrote:

This is a terrible idea. Imagine the wailing and gnashing of teeth. Current drop rates and no trading/crafting would make the game totally inaccessible except to a few elite super-spenders. Not to mention most people have converted all their dupes.

That's not really different from what's happening now.

Only difference is that some of the current elites get nerfed down to just above commoner level. I assume you're in that category?
  • majincob
    majincob Posts: 732 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Ohboy wrote:
    majincob wrote:
    Ohboy wrote:

That's not really different from what's happening now.

Only difference is that some of the current elites get nerfed down to just above commoner level. I assume you're in that category?

Nope, I'm in the super elite. I kept all my dupes icon_twisted.gif