Theory: More alliance tournies = Less tanking

Options
TheHueyFreeman
TheHueyFreeman Posts: 472 Mover and Shaker
edited March 2014 in MPQ General Discussion
I think that they are ramping up the alliance tournies to reduce tanking. In the last tourney, if i had a full hood, the only reason I would care is either for the 4* or the hp. Now we must try for the good of the team. Can you imagine what lightning rounds would look like with alliance rewards? Sleep would hit an all time low.

Well played devs.

Comments

• We could all tank then gain all of our points?
  • Shamusyeah wrote:
    We could all tank then gain all of our points?
    +1.

Just enter tourney within first 24hrs, get to 300, put on the tank team, relax for next 24hrs, grind back.
  • I don't know about lightning rounds, but it looks to me like every event from now on will have an alliance component, which is actually more than I expected. I doubt it was to reduce tanking, but it may well have that effect.
  • Spoit
    Spoit Posts: 3,441 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Yeah, I wasn't going to waste the medpacks grinding too high for the 1* tournament, but I went and got the black hood to help my alliance would break 50 for the yellow hood, rather than tanking to the m. mags which honestly probably would have been more useful
  • It's actually making me more likely to tank, because it's removing the incentive to play for the top prizes for a lot of these tournaments for me. The only Patch cover I could could use is yellow (mine is 4/5/4 and I want him 3/5/5), but since it's the alliance prize I'm going to get up to 500 and then tank down to 201+ place to get the recruit tokens.
  • I think that they are ramping up the alliance tournies to reduce tanking. In the last tourney, if i had a full hood, the only reason I would care is either for the 4* or the hp. Now we must try for the good of the team. Can you imagine what lightning rounds would look like with alliance rewards? Sleep would hit an all time low.

Well played devs.

What you say would make sense. WOULD. If the alliance formula was not sum of members, but average score from those who actually entered the tournament.
  • Colognoisseur
    Colognoisseur Posts: 804 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I have to say the alliance rewards are making me try to place higher and stay there. In the past I would score 600 for the placement award and then let the zombie hoard feast on me for the rest of the tournament. For the 1* I waited until later to go for 600 but then popped a 3hr shield to keep the points so my alliance members could get their yellow Hood.
  • dlaw008 wrote:
    I don't know about lightning rounds, but it looks to me like every event from now on will have an alliance component, which is actually more than I expected. I doubt it was to reduce tanking, but it may well have that effect.

I've asserted my theories toward the intent of the alliance awards in another thread, but I would agree that the addition of alliance rewards **indirectly** affects the benefits of tanking.

As I've said previously about PvP tanking, the extension of the ratings soft cap (where full point loss occurs) well past 500, effectively requires more fights to place well in a tourney. The more fights that need to be won to place well, the less benefit tanking provides as that benefit is consumed to reach high point totals. By the end of the tourney, players are usually correctly placed in their appropriate brackets at 600+ points.

Fighting "for the good of the alliance" simply adds to the pressure of scoring highly/placing well, which in turn raises average scores and further mitigates any benefits of PvP tanking.

At best, PvP tanking simply lets players maneuver themselves into a competitive position quicker than a player that does not tank. However, PvP tanking won't carry anyone to the finish line anymore, at least for top placement in tourneys.