match damage, 4* vs 3*

fun_and_gun
fun_and_gun Posts: 120 Tile Toppler
edited October 2016 in MPQ General Discussion
I guess I never paid attention so I just assumed that 4* would tank their color over the 3* when sharing the same color. example: I used 275 4* cyclops and 188 3* hood.

cyclops redflag.png 85 yellowflag.png 75 blueflag.png 65
hood yellowflag.png 81 blueflag.png 72 blackflag.png 63

is this supposed to be correct? this just seems odd to me.

Comments

• Ducky
    Ducky Posts: 2,255 Community Moderator
    I guess I never paid attention so I just assumed that 4* would tank their color over the 3* when sharing the same color. example: I used 275 4* cyclops and 188 3* hood.

Yes, as Hood's primary strong color is yellow, it ends up higher than 4clops because his yellow is his second highest color. Additionally, 3*s and 4*s don't scale the same, so always double check tile strength to make sure you know who is tanking what.
  • KGB
    KGB Posts: 3,189 Chairperson of the Boards
    DuckyV wrote:
    Yes, as Hood's primary strong color is yellow, it ends up higher than 4clops because his yellow is his second highest color. Additionally, 3*s and 4*s don't scale the same, so always double check tile strength to make sure you know who is tanking what.

I really really really wish the character selection screen would who tanked what colors. That would make selecting teams so much easier and better. It's incredibly annoying to get into battle and realize you have the wrong character tanking a color and had you known before the battle started you would have chosen a different team.

KGB
  • fun_and_gun
    fun_and_gun Posts: 120 Tile Toppler
    DuckyV wrote:

I suppose my question is more along the line of character design to where a 275 4* does approximately same match damage as a 188 3*. but then again, we're talking about mpq...har har
  • Pylgrim
    Pylgrim Posts: 2,328 Chairperson of the Boards
    The answer is that, in order to nerf buffed 3*s when championing was first introduced (a thing that they never have acknowleged nor discussed), they flattened the match damage curve between levels 200 and 300 (roughly). That means that unbuffed 4* are caught on it as well, but once they go past 300 (or so, don't quote me on the actual number) thanks to buffs or champion levels, the curve becomes steep again.
  • jobob
    jobob Posts: 680 Critical Contributor
    KGB wrote:
    I really really really wish the character selection screen would who tanked what colors. That would make selecting teams so much easier and better. It's incredibly annoying to get into battle and realize you have the wrong character tanking a color and had you known before the battle started you would have chosen a different team.

KGB
    I posted this in the suggestion forum about 6 months ago. Would be nice. viewtopic.php?f=8&t=41673

5Vq6kkf.jpg