Is matchmaking improved?

Options
madwren
madwren Posts: 2,230 Chairperson of the Boards
edited October 2016 in MtGPQ General Discussion
So, typically in the platinum bracket I'm running against a constant string of full-power decks.

However, I realized today that nearly all of the matchups I've seen, across 33 games, have been decks that have objective cards in them. Some of them may have and just didn't have those cards turn up, but it's definitely a much higher proportion than usual.

Is this a subtle fix? Or am I just getting a weird patch of luck where all of my opponents are playing Emrakul decks?

Comments

• Nitymp
    Nitymp Posts: 320 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    To add, it seems that about 90% of my opponents this event are unique, instead of the constant rotation of the same 6 opponents.
  • madwren
    Options
    That, too. I've had more diversity in terms of individual players, though interestingly I've faced Yawgmoth's Sorin deck 4 times by itself.
  • Nitymp
    Nitymp Posts: 320 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    madwren wrote:
    That, too. I've had more diversity in terms of individual players, though interestingly I've faced Yawgmoth's Sorin deck 4 times by itself.

Yeah had that one 3 times, ultradaved 3 times and someone else 2 times but everyone else has been just once so far!
  • jimilinho_
    Options
    Not sure it's changed, I've had lot of games (6+) against both Yawgmoth and ultradaved
  • Feagul
    Feagul Posts: 114
    Options
    Nothing different for me. Thanks for all the fun games against Koth, Kiora, and Jace 2!
  • nexus13
    nexus13 Posts: 191 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I doubt anythings changed. I've definitely hit out of event decks (though possibly they're just going for a sure 5). I don't think there is any sign that devs have even ready the matchmaking threads. I don't remember any comments from them on it.
  • madwren
    Options
    Feagul wrote:
    Nothing different for me. Thanks for all the fun games against Koth, Kiora, and Jace 2!

Bummer, apparently I'm having a a good streak, though I just ran into a pair of full-power Koths that were quite dangerous.

We've been theorizing that they might have made the brackets larger, which might make for a bit more diversity.

Thanks for the feedback, guys. I thought perhaps a ninja-change would be right up d3go's alley.
  • shteev
    shteev Posts: 2,031 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I've seen a little more variety, but all the old names are still popping up.... BaDJer, Marruk, Certified, MrKnifeGuy, Quebecers... If I had to guess I'd say the matchmaking is the same but the bracket is larger.
  • madwren
    Options
    shteev wrote:
    I've seen a little more variety, but all the old names are still popping up.... BaDJer, Marruk, Certified, MrKnifeGuy, Quebecers... If I had to guess I'd say the matchmaking is the same but the bracket is larger.

Yeah, you were part of that "we". You never pay attention to me.
  • madwren
    Options
    As a corollary to that, I have always wondered if the same guys I play all the time wind up playing me all the time. I feel like Ultradaved and I should get a room, we're paired up so often.
  • shteev
    Options
    madwren wrote:
    As a corollary to that, I have always wondered if the same guys I play all the time wind up playing me all the time. I feel like Ultradaved and I should get a room, we're paired up so often.

Have you been seeing Ultradaved behind my back? I thought what we had was special...
  • madwren
    Options
    shteev wrote:
    madwren wrote:

Have you been seeing Ultradaved behind my back? I thought what we had was special...

Yes, I see him every day, at least three times.

He's ULTRA.
  • shteev
    Options
    Where has Elvin1972 come from all of a sudden, and why are we all playing him?