Open letter to the devs regarding coalition rewards

Options
Ohboy
Ohboy Posts: 1,766 Chairperson of the Boards
edited October 2016 in MtGPQ General Discussion
Hi,

I would like to suggest that the rewards for placing in coalitions be dialed back.

Currently, we have a system that has a big positive feedback loop. The top 10 coalitions get a free mythic free twice a week. This rate of mythic acquisition is impossible to keep up with for the other players. For better or worse, the strength of our decks are dependent on our mythic collection. This ensures that the top 10 coalitions are there more or less permanently, and it's not for lack of effort from the rest.

This effect filters down to the individual power levels too. As the events progress and more of the top 10 coalition members fill up their collection, ties with perfect scores dominate the scoreboard. This makes it doubly hard for people outside that elite clique to get the mythic rewards, effectively creating a monopoly of mythic event rewards for these 200 players.

The dominance of this group is so great in the current system that one poster even feels comfortable complaining that he has too many mythics. It shows that he doesn't even consider people outside the top coalitions as players he's in direct competition with anymore. This is a toxic attitude that is surely not limited to him.

At this point, the damage is already done, and they will continue to dominate for expansions to come. But that doesn't mean you can't gradually reverse the trend.

I suggest that cards not be given out as rewards, but boosters instead. This way, they will be given prizes that will less instantly power up decks.

I understand that this idea if implemented will probably create a backlash in the vocal community (which is made up of many top 10 coalition members). But we can hope that they will not be openly hypocritical about making the game an easier one for new players to enter, since many prominent posters have repeatedly used that reason to justify their arguments over the last year.

Best regards,
Ohboy