An increase in cheating?

Ludaa
Ludaa Posts: 542
edited October 2016 in MPQ General Discussion
I'm seeing lots of rosters sprout up with max Banner/Widow/Bolt where they once had much less. I'm aware they could've hoarded, but my spidey sense tingles. Anyone else seeing it too?

Comments

• Orion
    Orion Posts: 1,295 Chairperson of the Boards
    Ludaa wrote:
    I'm seeing lots of rosters sprout up with max Banner/Widow/Bolt where they once had much less. I'm aware they could've hoarded, but my spidey sense tingles. Anyone else seeing it too?

I've seen people say they were spending their CP hoards on Latest Legends because it's easier to max out 1 of 3 5*s rather than spreading them out across 7 different 5*s. It helps that Black Bolt is really good.

So I wouldn't jump to the cheater label so quickly.
  • Ducky
    Ducky Posts: 2,255 Community Moderator
    I know that there have been several accounts that have been sandboxed lately describing what the OP is noticing. Might be another exploit that popped up that hasn't hit the mainstream yet. I hope not though.
  • Ruinate
    Ruinate Posts: 528 Critical Contributor
    Just found a guy with level 450 Bolt and Banner but only has 34 roster slots. A good portion of them are taken up by champed 2s and most of the slots are taken by poorly covered 3s and 4s. Spend mega bucks on specific characters and throw the rest away because there aren't enough roster slots? 3* transitioner who learned how to reroll legendaries imo.
  • Jabrony_Geoff
    Jabrony_Geoff Posts: 378 Mover and Shaker
    Ruinate wrote:
    Just found a guy with level 450 Bolt and Banner but only has 34 roster slots. A good portion of them are taken up by champed 2s and most of the slots are taken by poorly covered 3s and 4s. Spend mega bucks on specific characters and throw the rest away because there aren't enough roster slots? 3* transitioner who learned how to reroll legendaries imo.

Something smells very fishy here.
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    Ruinate wrote:

Whales are mammals, though.
  • Polares
    Polares Posts: 2,643 Chairperson of the Boards
    Bowgentle wrote:
    Ruinate wrote:

Whales are mammals, though.

Exactly. This is why it smells fishy and not like mammals.

PS: I really doubt someone who doesn't have any 4 maxed would have three 5s maxed. There is no chance in hell, you will pull 39 5 covers without maxing a 4 before. This person should be reported ASAP.
  • 8punch
    8punch Posts: 97 Match Maker
    is there a way to cheat without getting sandboxed?

that is like saying is water wet.

after watching the documentary Zero days a couple of days ago, i think everything is possible to hack.
  • Dartmaster01
    Dartmaster01 Posts: 634 Critical Contributor
    Ruinate wrote:

Yeah, this doesn't sound right. Cheater or not, his scaling and MMR are screwed. Enjoy those 5*s icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif
  • robertbah
    robertbah Posts: 124 Tile Toppler
    It's not cheating. The dups you got from latest one can be swapped to another color. It's not only easier but the only possible way to fully cover a 5*.
  • DaBeast911
    DaBeast911 Posts: 77 Match Maker
    Ruinate wrote:

I came across a couple like that Ruinate, very suspicious, especially when Bolt, Banner and BW are maxed and championed.....fishier than a fish market in Boston...
  • jobob
    jobob Posts: 680 Critical Contributor
    robertbah wrote:
    It's not cheating. The dups you got from latest one can be swapped to another color. It's not only easier but the only possible way to fully cover a 5*.
    It's cheating.

Let's think this through...

-To fully cover 3 5*, you are going to need around 300-350 LT pulls.
    -If you have a roster of 2-3*, you are almost certainly not earning that many pulls via progression. Let's assume you've done well and hoarded... Gotten up to 50 pulls (generous, I think)
    -That means you still need 250 more pulls. So how do you do that? Buy clubs.
    -A single buy club will get you ~8 pulls: ~2 LT from heroic packs, and 140 CP (25 points per pull)
    -So that comes out to 31 Stark buys, or about $3100... Which, granted, is possible that we have a lot of newbie whales...
    -HOWEVER... 31 Stark buys = 620,000 HP. So are we really assuming that these people spent NONE of that on roster slots?
    -If you make this assumption, that means that they were willing to throw away ~270 4* covers in pursuit of the three 5*, when all it would've cost was a small percentage of their HP to keep them.

...OR
    -They built up 10 - 20 LT.
    -They found an exploit that let them open, and either "re load" previous data and re-pull each one, or found a way to re-use the tokens.

...Occam's Razor tells me they are cheating.

...BUT
    -The most damning piece of evidence? The whales all know each other. There are a limited number of buy clubs, and if you're new and buying 30+ Starks, then people from the clubs will recognize you. A lot of these recent 3 5* rosters are complete unknowns.

I would say the odds of most of them being cheaters is 95+%
  • Quibbles
    Quibbles Posts: 44 Just Dropped In
    -The most damning piece of evidence? The whales all know each other. There are a limited number of buy clubs, and if you're new and buying 30+ Starks, then people from the clubs will recognize you. A lot of these recent 3 5* rosters are complete unknowns.

This. For those of you who have never done a buy club, and I expect that's 90%+ of the people on this forum, it's hard to believe, but we really do all recognize each other. Bigger whales are buying a stark a day or more in some cases. And we see each other all the time in the same clubs. It is extremely rare for someone to show up with multiple champed 5* without participating in or being recognized by buy club members. Even if the person did not buy in the club, we would have noticed as their MMR brought them into contact with the champed 5* MMR level. So while it's certainly possible to go from zero to multiple champed 5*, we will see the progress along the way, either in buy clubs or in placement in events.
  • Fightmastermpq
    Fightmastermpq Posts: 995 Critical Contributor
    Orion wrote:
    Ludaa wrote:

I've seen people say they were spending their CP hoards on Latest Legends because it's easier to max out 1 of 3 5*s rather than spreading them out across 7 different 5*s. It helps that Black Bolt is really good.

So I wouldn't jump to the cheater label so quickly.
    I feel like someone willing to hoard for that amount of time would recognize how weak banner is and wait just a little longer for him to leave legends before opening? Maybe not.

Regardless - if you see something fishy, just report it. Let demi determine if the account is legit or not - based on the reasoning that jobob laid out it's not too difficult to spot a cheater.
  • Sm0keyJ0e
    Sm0keyJ0e Posts: 730 Critical Contributor
    One other point to add to jobob's list is that some of these are in public alliances surrounded by very weak rosters. So if they were doing in-alliance buys, which is certainly possible if they are unaware of buy clubs, I would expect those surrounding rosters to be reasonably strong as well since the amount of spend (without a buy club) would be astronomical. But there are some well-known rosters with max/champed 5*'s in public alliances with 2-3* transitioners. Just doesn't seem likely.
  • jobob
    Not only that... But I assumed 140 CP from a buy club for the calculations. If you are doing an individual buy, it's 7 CP. So instead of ~8 pulls, you get ~2.

So you are looking at something like 120 Stark purchases.

Not impossible, but so highly unlikely that I would encourage everyone to report these guys. As pointed out, key signs are: only LL champs maxed. No or very few maxed 4* or 3*. Few roster slots (less than 75 or so). Member of a public alliance with mates whose rosters do not add up. If you're wrong, D3/Demi can easily verify it.
  • Mr_Sinister
    Mr_Sinister Posts: 356 Mover and Shaker
    Can I start a GofundmyMPQroster page and have all you kind, smart, funny, attractive, generous Wales contribute? I'd probably only be a dolphin after but would still be great.
  • carrion_pigeons
    carrion_pigeons Posts: 942 Critical Contributor
    Not that I condone cheating, but isn't this to the personal benefit of legit whales? It expands the number of people you can see, and they're all specifically exempted from truces.
  • Fightmastermpq
    Fightmastermpq Posts: 995 Critical Contributor
    Not that I condone cheating, but isn't this to the personal benefit of legit whales? It expands the number of people you can see, and they're all specifically exempted from truces.
    No.
  • jobob
    No.
    And certainly not in the cases where it's a roster that's cheated up to 550, and is a difficult win for even a whale. Plus, I would think it's a good way to get "legit" whales to stop spending if they see people cheating their way to a roster that whales put a lot of actual cash into.
  • dsds
    dsds Posts: 526
    Question... Could these people have sold all their 4* or 3* so that their scaling is different? Doesn't scaling take into account the strongest 3 characters. So if they had 2 5* And a bunch of 2*, then their scaling must be significantly lower?

However this still does not explain the lack of roster space. I mean you could technically not use the 70-90 extra roster space and people wouldn't be able to see them then? But why would anyone do that unless they knew that scaling also considered covers and not just levels?

The third guess is that maybe the developers are putting in these players to entice others to spend Or to put more players in for the 5* mmr? Like those fake dating site where employees were posing as women icon_e_confused.gificon_e_confused.gificon_e_confused.gificon_e_confused.gif
This discussion has been closed.