Creature replacemernt question

Options
Ciotog
Ciotog Posts: 77 Match Maker
What happens to a creature when it gets replaced (You have 3 unique creatures and play a 4th)? My initial thought would have been it was exiled, not sent to the graveyard, but then I did this and laughed for a while:
-3 creatures on the field (1 is the Diregraf Colossus, 1 is Prized Amalgam, 1 is anything else except for the 2/2 Zombie token)
-Play From under the floor boards, replace Prized Amalgam with Zombie Token #1
-Replace Zombie Token #1 with Prized Amalgam
-Replace Prized Amalgam with Zombie Token #2
-…repeat…
-Watch Colossus grow by +2/+2 with every step (+12/+12 if there is only 1 PA involved, they all return between each token...it was a long turn)

This doesn’t seem like it should work this way. A creature replace should count as exiled and should not be able to be returned to the battle field. I haven’t tried this with any other return to the battle field effects.

Comments

• Reaganstorme
    Reaganstorme Posts: 334 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    This is the correct application of creature replacement. It's quite a popular combo at the moment.

Also, a reinforced creature that is replaced this way places as many copies of the creature into the graveyard as the times it has been reinforced, plus the original.
  • M3f
    M3f Posts: 46
    Options
    It is a popular combo indeed but luckily Relentless Dead doesn't work this way otherwise You could have an infinite loop with it and Prized Amalgam doing just that.
  • Reaganstorme
    Reaganstorme Posts: 334 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    That's true.

Relentless Undead has its own bug where it fails to bring back some other zombies. It won't bring back Diregraf Colossus from graveyard either for example.