New PVP Event - Salary Cap Style

Kevmcg
Kevmcg Posts: 122 Tile Toppler
I think many of us found that the Combined Arms was a fun change of pace for PVP where more roster characters could be used. It also limited the effect of 5 stars. I have been trying to come up with other similar concepts to suggest to keep PVP fresh and stumbled on an idea as I was setting my fantasy football teams for the week. SALARY CAPS. In MPQ world, this could be LEVEL CAPS. Basicially, a PVP event would have a max number of levels you could play with your team. Ex - "700 Club": You get to pick any 3 characters, but the total levels have to add up to 700 or less. Want a tougher challenge? "800 is Enough": now the 3 character levels can add up to 800. This kind of system adds flexibility to think about using a 450 OML when you only have 250 more levels to work with on 2 characters. Or, is it better to have two 300 level 4 stars paired with a 100 level support? The effect of the Level cap is to make everyone play with what is essentially "grills" in the current PVP format. There are many variation possible and could be set to clearance level where higher clearance levels have higher Level Caps to stay under.

Comments

• xidragonxi
    xidragonxi Posts: 253 Mover and Shaker
    I'd play this. It's like DraftKings MPQ.
  • Punisher5784
    Punisher5784 Posts: 3,845 Chairperson of the Boards
    I like it but I can see players softcapping and/or creating dups. Regardless I would like to see this
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    Maybe I'm being naive, but do you really need much backup after a level 450 OML?
  • Xenoberyll
    Xenoberyll Posts: 647 Critical Contributor
    I like the idea but how many levels you get to 'spend' would have to be related to SCL. Otherwise you'll lock out people with max championed characters and I doubt D3 wants to do that to its whales icon_e_wink.gif
  • mr_X
    mr_X Posts: 375 Mover and Shaker
    Yeah I would play that. Sounds a great idea.

To get round softcapping maybe there could be a slider that could de level characters to hit the overall event limit. Obviously returning to true level in other modes.

The point made about learning from other games is a valid one. Always been suprised there is not a endless or a survival mode like in other match gem games. Boss rush excluded which does not fulfill the criteria exactly for an accessable pick up and play wave mode.
  • Jarvind
    Jarvind Posts: 1,684 Chairperson of the Boards
    Maybe I'm being naive, but do you really need much backup after a level 450 OML?

I'd be way more scared of any other solo 5* at that level, even Surfer. By himself all OML can do is (admittedly very high) match damage - if he manages to transform, you F'd up bad.

To the OP's point, I like the idea but I think it might make more sense to limit it by number of stars on your team. The dramatically higher levels in the 4 and 5 star tiers will skew the **** out of it, plus champion levels make it tough to arrive at an "average" limit - my 295 Hulkbuster will set me back a lot less than a megawhale who has him at 370. Say you can only have 10 stars - so you can use two 5*s but they'll be two-manning it, whereas two 4*s could be backed up by a 2 who could provide some utility.
  • dsds
    dsds Posts: 526
    All by himself, he is easy. Just stun him. Silver surfer is another story. Actually, that's how I would take him out when i am forced to fight oml to get to 900 without any usable 5* on my roster. Kill all the low hp guys such as jean or professor x, and then just stun oml the whole time.

Also his weakness is lack of teammates, if you kill the teammates off and he regenerates much slower as well (unfortunately match damage is still the same). Hate fighting him with other character that have massive amounts of hit points. I avoid those teams like the plague, super long matches and don't have enough ap to stun them all.

I love this idea of capped team levels.
  • PorkBelly
    PorkBelly Posts: 533 Critical Contributor
    This sounds like it could be fun. I would definitely play it.
  • Punisher5784
    Punisher5784 Posts: 3,845 Chairperson of the Boards
    I like it but I can see players softcapping and/or creating dups. Regardless I would like to see this

So what? Already a thing. Unless this mode existed, and became a daily staple, I doubt anyone would go to the trouble specifically for this event.

I know, I misunderstood this as if something like this became the standard for PVP, not necessary a one-time PVP event. I'm too lazy to edit my post even though I took the energy to reply to you icon_lol.gif