Logan movie... thoughts?

JVReal
JVReal Posts: 1,884 Chairperson of the Boards
edited November 2016 in Off Topic
Hello,

I watched the trailer for Logan, and I have mixed feelings about the movie.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ny3hScFgCIQ

I kind of enjoyed the Old Man Logan storyline from the comics, but with Fox not owning most of the characters involved in that storyline... it seems like its either going to be a shell of a story, or a totally different story entirely.

I feel like it would have been better to have had Marvel make the movie, closer to the book, and rent Wolverine back from Fox, like they did Spiderman from Sony.

I mean, every antagonist in the Old Man Logan story can't be in there!

I hope it's good, but when the only thing about the Old Man Logan storyline is Old Man Logan... I'm kind of worried.

Comments

• firethorne
    firethorne Posts: 1,505 Chairperson of the Boards
    Yeah, I'm a bit skeptical as well. Licensing and character rights might be a killer for this. The trailer looks nothing like the comics. And of course, it couldn't. What is an old man Logan story supposed look like without the Hulks, Red Skull, Hawkeye, etc? There isn't any of the story left.

I've always thought the same about one of my favorite events, House of M. As much as I want one, a movie couldn't do it justice as long as the Disney/Fox divide exists.
  • GrimSkald
    GrimSkald Posts: 2,488 Chairperson of the Boards
    I actually don't know much about the Old Man Logan storyline - just stuff that I've read about it on the internet. But yeah, since it deals with most of the Marvel Comic Universe, they can't use most of it.

This looks to be something like Old Man Logan saves X-23 - that child has to be Laura Kinney.

It's a phenomenal trailer, IMHO - it has this marvelous elegiac quality to it which is boosted to 11 by using Johnny Cash's cover of "Hurt." Seriously. Of course, it's much easier to make a good trailer than a good movie.

To sum up, I doubt highly they'll do the Old Man Logan story, but will probably take a lot of elements from that, from "the Death of Wolverine" and from X-23's origin. Maybe a few other places as well. Regardless, it could be good, it could be ****, too soon to tell. Great trailer, though.
  • JVReal
    JVReal Posts: 1,884 Chairperson of the Boards
    GrimSkald wrote:
    To sum up, I doubt highly they'll do the Old Man Logan story, but will probably take a lot of elements from that, from "the Death of Wolverine" and from X-23's origin. Maybe a few other places as well. Regardless, it could be good, it could be ****, too soon to tell. Great trailer, though.
    Thanks for this. I looked up the Death of Wolverine, that makes sense. If they do it right, it sounds like it could be a good story. I'll just have to remind myself that it's NOT Old Man Logan... it's Hugh Jackman's final Wolverine performance, and look at it in a vacuum.