How many times do you skip?

Options
Calnexin
Calnexin Posts: 1,078 Chairperson of the Boards
edited October 2016 in MPQ General Discussion
After having my metaphorical tushie handed to me by simonsez in another post, I decided I need to either up my game or seriously downsize. So I'm asking for information.

In PvP, once you reach a competitive level, how many times do you hit the "skip" button before you find opponents you can walk over and/or beat with health pack expenditure?

In comments, it would help to know what * tier you field, how far you usually climb without a shield, and where you expect to place.
Failed to load the poll.

Comments

• kobu
    kobu Posts: 165 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I'm champing 3*s and I shoot for 900. That basically means reaching just about 800 and then getting hit for an equal or more points loss for every match I win. Then if I figure I'm better off just shielding and come back later. Then I get to watch my screen pop up 20 minutes later saying I still got hit for 40 points, but hooray, the shield also saved me from losing 12. Fast forward 8 hours or whatever, and I get to cycle between the same 3 opponents endlessly looking for anyone I have a chance against. I keep plugging away sometimes, rotating between nodes, thinking there HAS to be someone else actually trying to increase their score, before realizing that I'm trapped in a Kafkaesque nightmare in a match 3 game.
  • mpqr7
    mpqr7 Posts: 2,642 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I can get to 900, and then I check around 10-20 matches, see they're all for 30 points, realize I'm about to get knocked down a few hundred points and then shield and give up.
  • JamieMadrox
    JamieMadrox Posts: 1,798 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I'll skip until I find something I feel is worth hitting. I field champed 5*, shield over 1200 if at all, and shoot for t25 placement in CL7 PVP events.
  • Jarvind
    Jarvind Posts: 1,684 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I picked 4 because I think that's the most you can skip without the ISO tax. After that if I still don't love the options I'll just suck it up and take whatever has the best points, unless it's truly horrific (430+ 5 stars).

I usually hover at around 500 and then make a run for 900 in the last 8 hours so I can just use one shield. I haven't bothered with 1200 since the reward structure was changed and anti-cupcake measures implemented. I'm solidly in 4* territory with all 3*'s champed and eighteen 4* champions - only leveled 5* is OML at 350, with no plans to level him any further unless I'm forced to in order to avoid selling covers.
  • Fightmastermpq
    Fightmastermpq Posts: 995 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I'll skip until I find something I feel is worth hitting. I field champed 5*, shield over 1200 if at all, and shoot for t25 placement in CL7 PVP events.
    ^This

"how many times do you hit the "skip" button before you find opponents you can walk over and/or beat with health pack expenditure?" Zero.

I skip to find targets with a higher score than me, and to avoid friendlies. With 2 champed 5*s I never have to skip to find a battle I can win.
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Dont have any idea gow many times i skip as i dont track that data. But i definitely will say that the best strategy for pvp is:

Skip as much as as it takes to get favorable opponents. Do not care about the skip tax! Losing a match is far worse than spending extra iso skipping. And in the long run, pvp has never been iso negative for me, even when i spend thousands of iso skipping over thecourse of an event.

When you get stuck in a cycle of just a few opponents, you should stop cycling as more skips just waste iso. But other than that, never think twice about skipping a bad opponent (either a hard opponent, or a low value opponent).
  • dsds
    dsds Posts: 526
    Options
    I've been skipping much less these days. Any target higher than 30 I attack. anyone with champed 4*, I will not attack under 40 points. That way if I lose, I don't lose that many points. I am desperate for iso, so I am not skipping as much as before.

If they attack me back, more iso for me! I am an iso ho until my young hulkbuster is all grown up and champed. It's hard to raise them up to be champs!
  • El Satanno
    El Satanno Posts: 1,005 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I answered 10, but the question and responses are not granular enough.

Early in an event, I barely skip anyone at all. At the end, I'm skipping constantly. When it's busy, I never skip. When it's dry, I burn Iso like it was going out of style.
  • morph3us
    morph3us Posts: 859 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I'll echo El Satanno here. Early on in an event, I'll hardly skip at all.

Later, once I'm seriously climbing, I might skip 10-20 times at a go, sometimes more to try and find a viable target. If I can't find a viable target at that point, I assess how far above my short term float point I am, how active the shard is likely to be at that time, and either float for a bit before skipping again (or waiting for a friendly to shield), or shield up for a short time.

I'm a 5* player (nearly champed). Skipping a lot is mandatory once you climb to a certain score, MMR hell is real and it sucks. I burn iso like it's going out of fashion sometimes.
  • like1tiger
    like1tiger Posts: 76 Match Maker
    Options
    I skip a lot, I skip early when I try not to fight anything below 50 points and I skip late looking for anything worth 40+ points. I'm a 4* tansitinor with 3 champed 4 *s
    If Rhulk is boosted I don't skip at all cos anything with less then 16k Health gets destroyed icon_e_smile.gif
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    My iso tax per event is about 2k, give or take. That's counting all skips, including getting a +20 instead of +30 for a win. It's usually 30-40 matches, depending how early I float and how quickly I climb.

But echoing others, a lot of that is late finding targets. Every shield hop is a few hundred extra, often looking for specific targets or queuing people up to double tap.