New power: modify time

Lampo
Lampo Posts: 121 Tile Toppler
I suggest a new power (but I have no idea whom this power would fit to): modify time.
The power could work in a double way (as "Love/hate" from Spider-woman") or be 2 different powers.

1: Freeze time = make another move after this one (only tiles, no powers)
2: Fast forward = end the turn (you don't move any tile this turn)

How useful n° 1 is, should be clear to everybody; sometimes also n°2 can be useful, especially when you know that every move you'll make it will give an advantage to your opponent.
Maybe a little drawback to n° 1 can be added, like a higher casting cost compared to n° 2, the fact that could be use only as first move of a turn (therefore preventing other special powers usages), or that can be used only once per match and then it changes to n° 2.

Comments

• zodiac339
    zodiac339 Posts: 1,948 Chairperson of the Boards
    Something similar exists in the Adventure Time Puzzle Quest by this developer. Use the power, make 2 matches. Sounds like at least a 9 AP move. I think the wording here would go something like, "The next match or turn ending power your team makes will not end the turn." AP cost would probably start higher and reduce as you gain ranks and only include turn-ending powers at rank 3 or 4 (no AP cost reduction at that rank). Maybe start at 11AP and reduce to 8AP? Then the option to end the turn... for an AP refund perhaps? Not a full refund, but instead 3 or 4 AP. Sounds like a blue or a purple power.
  • mpqr7
    mpqr7 Posts: 2,642 Chairperson of the Boards
    Number 2 would be great. I hate it when my OML gets stunned, and then I need to use my glass cannon, and then that's the move where the enemy unleashes 10,000 hit points of damage that obliterate my glass cannon (but wouldn't have bothered my OML).
  • zodiac339
    zodiac339 Posts: 1,948 Chairperson of the Boards
    mpqr7 wrote:
    Number 2 would be great. I hate it when my OML gets stunned, and then I need to use my glass cannon, and then that's the move where the enemy unleashes 10,000 hit points of damage that obliterate my glass cannon (but wouldn't have bothered my OML).
    Except that the character using this power probably wouldn't be a tank either. Remember, any character that ends the turn ends up being in front.
  • Lampo
    zodiac339 wrote:
    mpqr7 wrote:
    Except that the character using this power probably wouldn't be a tank either. Remember, any character that ends the turn ends up being in front.
    Well, that can be adjusted.
    Sometimes is also very annoying when your only option is to match the tile you were really counting on (attack, countdown, whatever)... it's rare, but it can be useful, that's why it should be "part" of a power, and not a power itself.
  • cooperbigdaddy
    cooperbigdaddy Posts: 392 Mover and Shaker
    Wouldn't Freeze Time just be like, "Stun the enemy team for 1 turn" but worse because you can't use a power?
  • Lampo
    Wouldn't Freeze Time just be like, "Stun the enemy team for 1 turn" but worse because you can't use a power?
    Well, basically yes icon_mrgreen.gif
    But their Assault/countdown tiles won't trigger icon_mrgreen.gif

The idea is that you play two turns in a row, so blocking the enemy or keeping on playing have the same effect.

"Modify time" could go well also with another power I wanted to suggest, "modify space": instead of dropping vertically, tiles drop to the right/left/up.
    With a very low casting cost, this power can really change the way you see the game icon_e_wink.gif
  • markcoen01
    markcoen01 Posts: 33 Just Dropped In
    This power sounds like something Doctor Strange could be able to do....
  • mpqr7
    mpqr7 Posts: 2,642 Chairperson of the Boards
    Lampo wrote:
    "Modify time" could go well also with another power I wanted to suggest, "modify space": instead of dropping vertically, tiles drop to the right/left/up.
    With a very low casting cost, this power can really change the way you see the game icon_e_wink.gif

It might require a lot of programming effort to get tiles to drop sideways. But it would be easy to do a Quake-style tile rearrangement and basically rotate everything clockwise 90 degrees, and that would accomplish the same thing.
  • Lampo
    markcoen01 wrote:
    This power sounds like something Doctor Strange could be able to do....

Yes!
    The thing is that both time and space modifying are not "strong" powers, so they need to pair up with some big damage bringer, or they need to belong to different charachters.
    Or to Gwenpool.
    mpqr7 wrote:
    Lampo wrote:

It might require a lot of programming effort to get tiles to drop sideways. But it would be easy to do a Quake-style tile rearrangement and basically rotate everything clockwise 90 degrees, and that would accomplish the same thing.

Well, maybe an "anti-gravity" something, so tiles drop up instead of down icon_e_biggrin.gif